Thread: Ductless minisplit = Increased humidity

Post Likes

Ductless minisplit = Increased humidity

Subject line is really a question, as I've received a number of inquiries about the constant circulation of the indoor unit (it runs perpetually, even when setpoint temperature is reached) while in Cooling Mode.

So far, it seems to be that if indoor IR handset is 76 F, humidity climbs almost to 60% even while unit maintains indoor temp at 74.7 - 75.0 (it always keeps it at least one degree below setpoint), outdoor temp is 80 F at 70% RH

This applies to Mitsubishi units I've installed, anywhere from 3/4 ton to larger units.

There does not appear to be any way to make the indoor fan to shut off when setpoint is reached.

Post Likes
    From my experience with mini-splits, they don't shut down when they reach set point because the indoor fan, compressor and even the condenser motors ramp up and down based on load. The Fujitsu units that I usually install have a temperature control board which controls the VFDs and electronic metering valve using a PID loop. Depending on the inputs the PID loop will determine the outputs, such as fan speed, compressor speed and EXV position.

Post Likes
    just verified with two other Fujitsu installations, that this condition appears universal with minisplits.

there must be some moisture taken back, copiously, from the wet evap coil with perpetual fan, into the indoor space.

since the units do not have any RH% detection mechanism (and I don't see that in any installation/technical literature), the end result is high indoor humidity. initially, the units drop the indoor RH, while dropping indoor temperature, once setpoint is reached, RH starts climbing back up and temperature is maintained.

even the "DRY" mode in the IR handset is not able to overcome the excessive indoor humidity.

Post Likes
    WE had this problem on a guest room over a garage. I did the heatload and found the unit to be oversized. We swapped out the unit which solved the problem.

Post Likes
    this happens universally on all my recent installations, even using just 9000 BTU full inverter models, all using the lowest fan speed setting (also tested on Auto)

the compressor barely comes on outside, while the fan blows continuously indoors.

used my latest fluke toolset to log indoor RH over 24h period - how did you measure RH% ? I created a one-hour interval report on a spreadsheet and reported results back to factory rep.

Post Likes
    Yes the minisplits run the indoor fan steady and this elevates humidity.

I just went through a building with a high humidity complaint. There were many problems BUT, the absolute worst area was a small office, not connected to the main system.

It had a grossly oversized ceiling cassette unit. The compressor would cycle on, RH would begin dropping down from 80 to 75% RH as water started to condense, then in 3 minutes, space temperature was satisfied and the compressor was off.

Any water that condensed on the coil just re-evaporated back to the air. Nothing comes out of the condensate drain.

Three minutes later the compressor is back on, and cycle repeats. The moisture just travels from air to fan coil and then back to the air.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by nina View Post
    this happens universally on all my recent installations, even using just 9000 BTU full inverter models, all using the lowest fan speed setting (also tested on Auto)

the compressor barely comes on outside, while the fan blows continuously indoors.

used my latest fluke toolset to log indoor RH over 24h period - how did you measure RH% ? I created a one-hour interval report on a spreadsheet and reported results back to factory rep.
    Is the air coming out of the inverters always cold?

Post Likes
    In my experience, even here in humid Delaware at the beach in the summer on not so warm days, the key seems to be getting the size right. My preference is Fujitsu, and in 'DRY' mode, they do a reasonable job of dehumidifying, provided they aren't overkill sized. However, super dry doesn't happen if the cooling load isn't there. In my experience, it's not just minisplits, but ALL air conditioners that run into this. Add a bit of heat, (so the compressor kicks on) and things dry nicely.

Subject line is really a question, as I've received a number of inquiries about the constant circulation of the indoor unit (it runs perpetually, even when setpoint temperature is reached) while in Cooling Mode.

So far, it seems to be that if indoor IR handset is 76 F, humidity climbs almost to 60% even while unit maintains indoor temp at 74.7 - 75.0 (it always keeps it at least one degree below setpoint), outdoor temp is 80 F at 70% RH

This applies to Mitsubishi units I've installed, anywhere from 3/4 ton to larger units.

There does not appear to be any way to make the indoor fan to shut off when setpoint is reached.

Post Likes
    > Is the air coming out of the inverters always cold?

no as the inverter controlled compressor comes on at very low revolutions based on feedback from the indoor control board, satisfies setpoint and resumes continuous fan blow over evap coil.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by kuryakin View Post
    In my experience, even here in humid Delaware at the beach in the summer on not so warm days, the key seems to be getting the size right. My preference is Fujitsu, and in 'DRY' mode, they do a reasonable job of dehumidifying, provided they aren't overkill sized. However, super dry doesn't happen if the cooling load isn't there. In my experience, it's not just minisplits, but ALL air conditioners that run into this. Add a bit of heat, (so the compressor kicks on) and things dry nicely.
    So I can use the sun to make my air conditioner a dehumidifier?

Ah the Achilles tendon of the cool to dehumidify feature.

Post Likes
    it really would help if *only* the indoor unit would turn off fan when cycle is complete, ie. *not* running in "fan always on" mode

Post Likes
    Indeed. Unfortunately, minisplits with hot gas reheat are rare. Such as:
    http://www.vital-air.com/ProductLine.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by adrianf View Post

Post Likes
    > Is the air coming out of the inverters always cold?

no as the inverter controlled compressor comes on at very low revolutions based on feedback from the indoor control board, satisfies setpoint and resumes continuous fan blow over evap coil.
    I would think even witrh the inverters 'slowed down' that unless the fan coil air flow was ramped down, it would end up behaving like an undercharged system, most of the coil would be superheating the vapour, probably whatever mositure was removed would be re-eavaporated. Coil surface temperature would average above the rooms dewpoint.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by adrianf View Post

Could you use a dehumidifier as a dehumidifier? Is not obvious that there are conditions when the a/c will not be the dehumidifier? 70^F and raining-maybe then get a dehumidifier? Regards TB
    Bear Rules: Keep our home <50% RH summer, controls mites/mold and very comfortable.
    Provide 60-100 cfm of fresh air when occupied to purge indoor pollutants and keep window dry during cold weather. T-stat setup/setback +8 hrs. saves energy
    Use +Merv 10 air filter. -Don't forget the "Golden Rule"

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by teddy bear View Post
    Could you use a dehumidifier as a dehumidifier? Is not obvious that there are conditions when the a/c will not be the dehumidifier? 70^F and raining-maybe then get a dehumidifier? Regards TB
    It was said tongue in cheek.

Post Likes
    The fan runs continuously because the thermistor is mounted in the unit. The air needs to move across the thermistor to "see" room temperature. All minisplits, that I know of, are like this.
    Karst means cave. So, I search for caves.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in