Thread: Assuming installation qualities are equal...

Post Likes

Assuming installation qualities are equal...

I have a 3-ton ac unit that needs to be replaced and I am reviewing contractors and equipment. There are a couple of companies that I have spoken to that I like (subjective) but the equipment they are offering varies greatly.
    Company 1 is a Trane dealer offering a XR80 13 Seer ac and XL80 80% gas furnace. 10 yr compressor warranty
    Company 2 is offering a Amana GSX16 and a VS 80% gas furnace. Lifetime compressor and heat exchanger warranties.
    Both are priced the same, both companies appear to have good reputations? Opinions?

Post Likes
    You'd be getting an H of a lot more equipment for the buck with the Amana. Something fishy if both priced the same.

Post Likes
    If you live in a colder climate, consider a high efficiency furnace paired with a lower end condenser.

If not, consider dual fuel.

Post Likes

Dual Fuel

Are the duel fuel systems around the same cost? I am not very familiar with them except that you would use a "back-up" gas furnace when it gets really cold. I live in Atlanta so somewhat milder temps. I also received a quote for R22 Lennox 14 Seer system for about 1/3 the cost of the other two.

Post Likes

Copper pipe replacement

Is there anything I should be aware of when swicthing from a Freon system to Puron? Replace copper? Clean-out system? Additional charges above and beyond what is quoted?

Post Likes

HEY

YEA U NEEED TO REPLACE LINESETS IF UR GOIN PURON 41O...THEY ARE THICKER IN DIAMETER MORE PRESSURE

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by BaldLoonie View Post
    You'd be getting an H of a lot more equipment for the buck with the Amana. Something fishy if both priced the same.
    Nothing fishy about it, Trane is hands down the better product.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by raidersfan7 View Post
    YEA U NEEED TO REPLACE LINESETS IF UR GOIN PURON 41O...THEY ARE THICKER IN DIAMETER MORE PRESSURE
    My Translation: additional cost to "standard" installation.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Gregor99 View Post
    Are the duel fuel systems around the same cost? I am not very familiar with them except that you would use a "back-up" gas furnace when it gets really cold. I live in Atlanta so somewhat milder temps. I also received a quote for R22 Lennox 14 Seer system for about 1/3 the cost of the other two.
    I don't think I would go with a R-22 system, wouldn't put one in my own home, wouldn't recommend it to a customer.jmo

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    Post Likes

Properly sized linesets do not need to be replaced.If it's easy to do and it makes you feel better ,replace them.

Post Likes
    No they aren't. new line sets aren't made any thicker then line sets made 20 years ago.
    The copper in the evap coil is thinner then what it was 20 years ago.

Post Likes
    Amana.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Gregor99 View Post
    A dual fuel system consists of a mid or high efficiency furnace paired with a heatpump.

Heatpumps costs more than typical central a/c units, since they're capable of pumping heat into the conditioned space from outside. (In A/C mode they move heat from inside to outside.) Since heatpumps use electricity to move heat as opposed to produce it, they use less then half as much energy as furnaces (or electric heaters) above freezing. Dual fuel offers you the best of both; high efficiency in mild weather, and excellent heating performance in cold weather.

There are three disadvantages associated with heatpumps:

1. They don't have as much heating capacity and required greater airflow rates than furnaces. Consequently, the air discharge can be quite a bit cooler than what you're used to.

2. They don't work efficiently in cold weather. Below a certain outdoor temperature, they have to periodically stop and defrost, reducing comfort and efficiency.

3. Electricity often costs much more than natural gas. The savings can be negated if you have a high electricity rate.

In mild climates it doesn't make sense to have a furnace and heatpump paired together; usually the upfront expense of purchasing a furnace can not be justified, given negligible savings, (from using gas instead of electricity for supplemental heat)

oh BTW a high efficiency furnace will have a poor rate of return/long payback period in your climate. Either get a mid-efficiency furnace alone, duel fuel system, or heatpump with electric heat strips.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    No they aren't. new line sets aren't made any thicker then line sets made 20 years ago.
    The copper in the evap coil is thinner then what it was 20 years ago.
    I think he may have meant larger diameter. Either way an existing line set may be just fine if cleaned properly. I like to change them if they are easily changed like others have stated but cleaning works if done properly.

Post Likes
    amana is piss of sh.t!!!="GOODMAN"
    GET TRANE! OR CARRIER

Post Likes
    Amana units with a model number begining with G are relabeled Goodman.
    Amana units with a model number beginning with A are true Amamna and not the same as Goodmans.

Getting a Trane or Carrier, doesn't mean it will be installed right. There are plenty of threads about bad installs for Trane and Carrier equipment. It just means those people paid more for the brand name, and still have a crappy system.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in