+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Sizeing exhaust hoods

Post Likes

Sizeing exhaust hoods

I have a customer who owns a pizza restaurant. He's got two ovens now and is looking to add a third. My question is, are their CFM requirements per BTU rateing of the appliance? When I'm doing a load calculation on the kitchen how much of a load do I need to add for ovens under a exhaust hood?

Post Likes

UMC

The UMC has some info. I do not have it on my laptop. But here is some good info I found online.

I do know that there are cfm requirements for LF of hood. And that the kitchen area is required to be negative pressure.

Hope this gets you started in thr right direction.

I have also done duct work for these hoods and they are well made.

http://www.captiveaire.com/catalogco...ds/ndi/ndi.asp

The hardest part of doing hoods in my opinion is wrapping the duct with fire wrap.......it's a frickin night mare.
    "I aint going to spit on 30 years of my life" Monte Walsh

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiger93rsl View Post
    I have a customer who owns a pizza restaurant. He's got two ovens now and is looking to add a third. My question is, are their CFM requirements per BTU rateing of the appliance? When I'm doing a load calculation on the kitchen how much of a load do I need to add for ovens under a exhaust hood?
    There is different AHJ requirements for pizza ovens. Some AHJ want type 1 hoods and some want type 2 hoods for pizza. Ask them and the answer will be the starting point for your questions.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ACFIXR View Post
    The UMC has some info. I do not have it on my laptop. But here is some good info I found online.

I do know that there are cfm requirements for LF of hood. And that the kitchen area is required to be negative pressure.

Hope this gets you started in thr right direction.

I have also done duct work for these hoods and they are well made.

http://www.captiveaire.com/catalogco...ds/ndi/ndi.asp

The hardest part of doing hoods in my opinion is wrapping the duct with fire wrap.......it's a frickin night mare.
    Thanks for the input on that. I've installed range hoods as well for a company I use to work for. If they want a new hood it will be subed out. As far as the negative pressure requirements I don't like that at all. I've seen on more than one ocasion where a MAU failed with gas water heaters useing combustion air from the kitchen. You know the rest of the story and it usally ends with the fire department being called out.

Post Likes
    There are other options for fire wrap. Depends on clearance to combustibles. We have used a foil back fire stop board fiberglass stuff in 2.5" that is easy to install. Gets a 3" to combustible and 5 hr fire rating. Cheaper than the 3M stuff. But you have to have that clearance. For the top of the hood we use just unfaced fire stop fiber glass, gets beter rating than the 3M and is very cheap, PIA cause its all crumbly and heavy, but laying flat on the top of the hood its easy.
    I r the king of the world!...or at least I get to stand on the roof and look down on the rest of yall

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiger93rsl View Post
    Usually we get out bid when ever we quote a kitchen hood. Around here we have companies that specializes in kitchen hoods. They are called kitchen contractors. Sometimes they will sub out the refrigeration to us.

But when ever we are faced with quoting a kitchen hood I get ahold of the Greenheck representitive. He gives us a questionaire to fill out and from that he will quote us a hood. I find that this is the best way to venture into a grey area of our trade.

Post Likes
    Thanks for all the replies, I'm going to be meeting with this customer tomorrow, I'll get all the informatiion off hood and see what out local cook engineers come up with.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in