+ Reply to Thread

Thread: tecumseh compressor

Post Likes

tecumseh compressor

3 door reach in cooler. got the call found breaker was in the off position. breaker panel was open.breaker was not tripped. flipped it on. checked pressures r 134a 35 low and 175 hi. suction line ambient temp, 85 degrees f. in the box. about 75 degrees cond ambient. cleaned cond coil. amps 5.2a tecumseh comp. m#aja4492yxd name plate rla :7Amps compressor sounded noisy. compressor was replaced 8 years ago. i ran down the street and returned roughly 3 hrs later it went from 85 to 60 degrees. doesnt look to good so i checked it again now pressures are 31 low/155 hi while hanging at 60 degrees . added about a pound of r 134a. 42 degree suction line at comp. = 6 degree super heat. by the way metering device is cap tube. liquid line temp.107 = 7 degree subcool discharge air out of condenser coil was 97 degrees. with 78 degree ambient.=19 degrees split. compressor is 3/4 hp recip. once i shot in the pound of ref. temp seemed to start dropping. even though my superheat was low.i dont think its the valves leaking back due to low side pressure. i feel like one of the pistons broke or its not pumping to full capacity as mentioned before the compressor is noisy. i could be wrong looking for your support.

Post Likes
    Sounds like you are overcharged with other problems -- pressures look pretty high. Is this one of your regulars or have you been there since the new compressor 8 years ago?

I would pull the charge and weigh in nameplate to get an idea of what is really going on. How many cap tubes?

Post Likes
    Time to back up. You added a pound to that unit with the start up pressure you have listed? It may be different then any of the three door coolers I have. But i think they all work the same.

Did another company come out and look at it and turn the breaker off? Did they add a pound? Ask everyone.

Try to check for a restriction and clean the condenser then follow cjpwalker's advice. I'm not sure where your at now.

jim
    Common sense isn't very common anymore.

Post Likes
    this is my first time approaching this cooler. i can see they wrote on the compressor install date. i cleaned the condenser good. its like new. that was the first thing i did after starting. i asked the manager and she said no one touched the cooler. she even asked to see the breaker. the nameplate is missing from the box. cant see any specs to weigh in the charge. its wasnt cooling to much before adding the the pound. once i added it seemed to drop a lil better. but also the noisy compressor just doesnt sound normal.

Post Likes

Smile

It would be nice to know the discharge temp of the compressor and what type of oil is in it.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by anthonyac1 View Post
    3 door reach in cooler. got the call found breaker was in the off position. breaker panel was open.breaker was not tripped. flipped it on. checked pressures r 134a 35 low and 175 hi. suction line ambient temp, 85 degrees f. in the box. about 75 degrees cond ambient. cleaned cond coil. amps 5.2a tecumseh comp. m#aja4492yxd name plate rla :7Amps compressor sounded noisy. compressor was replaced 8 years ago. i ran down the street and returned roughly 3 hrs later it went from 85 to 60 degrees. doesnt look to good so i checked it again now pressures are 31 low/155 hi while hanging at 60 degrees . added about a pound of r 134a. 42 degree suction line at comp. = 6 degree super heat. by the way metering device is cap tube. liquid line temp.107 = 7 degree subcool discharge air out of condenser coil was 97 degrees. with 78 degree ambient.=19 degrees split. compressor is 3/4 hp recip. once i shot in the pound of ref. temp seemed to start dropping. even though my superheat was low.i dont think its the valves leaking back due to low side pressure. i feel like one of the pistons broke or its not pumping to full capacity as mentioned before the compressor is noisy. i could be wrong looking for your support.
    At the conditions you stated above, that compressor should be drawing 6.5 amps according to the manufacturer's compressor performance data sheet. The 5.2 amps you measured would indicate that it's not pumping up to specs...likely due to valve damage. It may explain the noise as well.

This condensing unit doesn't have a receiver, or does it?

Post Likes
    I agree with icemeister. Sounds like a weak compressor and/or possibly non-condensibles or even wrong/ mixed refrigerants.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by icemeister View Post
    At the conditions you stated above, that compressor should be drawing 6.5 amps according to the manufacturer's compressor performance data sheet. The 5.2 amps you measured would indicate that it's not pumping up to specs...likely due to valve damage. It may explain the noise as well.

This condensing unit doesn't have a receiver, or does it?

No receiver on this unit. ive never seen that performance chart, i learn so much from this site. I appreciate all the help. just curious why the receiver question?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by anthonyac1 View Post
    No receiver on this unit. ive never seen that performance chart, i learn so much from this site. I appreciate all the help. just curious why the receiver question?
    A pound of gas to a system of that size is a lot and it didn't seem to change the operation all that much. My thought was that a if it had a receiver, would be little if any change.

I've run across a number of reach-in coolers with cap tube feed which had their condensing units replaced with receivers...which is wrong because caps tubes won't work properly with a receiver, so they tend to get overcharged so the cap tube will seem to function OK. The problem with this is when the compressor cycles off, that extra refrigerant liquid doesn't stay in the receiver, it goes to the evaporator...causing bad floodback and busted valves.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by icemeister View Post
    A pound of gas to a system of that size is a lot and it didn't seem to change the operation all that much. My thought was that a if it had a receiver, would be little if any change.

I've run across a number of reach-in coolers with cap tube feed which had their condensing units replaced with receivers...which is wrong because caps tubes won't work properly with a receiver, so they tend to get overcharged so the cap tube will seem to function OK. The problem with this is when the compressor cycles off, that extra refrigerant liquid doesn't stay in the receiver, it goes to the evaporator...causing bad floodback and busted valves.
    thanks for all the feed back. you came through again!!

Post Likes
    Some useful info for another time , after being in design of cabinets & cases of the cap tube variety , most only run at 1K subcooling.

Also receiver should never be installed on cap tube , but suction accumulator for off cycle.
    The primary function of the design engineer is to make things difficult for the fabricator and impossible for the serviceman.

Post Likes

Tecumseh compressor broken

I think that, this compressor is broken, maybe some of mechanical parts inside compressor not worked improper. so you should repair it or replace new one.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in