+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Concealed carry permit

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by JTCHVAC View Post
    Who has a consealed carry permit and carrys there gun to work with them? Also how do you carry your gun? Ankle holster,hip,etc.
    Concealed carry permit?

I live in Arizona. We don't need no stinking permit.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by dijit View Post
    Concealed carry permit?

I live in Arizona. We don't need no stinking permit.
    Don't rub it in. Actually, aren't you able to do open carry legally in AZ too?
    Here in NW FL, most people do carry and it's not too hard to get your permit. Just takes some time. I would hope that anyone who has the ability to carry, does so. Most of us are walking into strangers house or working behind buildings where we could face an attacker of some sort. Don't get me wrong, being a big, mean, ugly, MF does help some of us but it's nice to know it's there. And to answer the original question, Glock 19.
    www.mcleanair.com

"It was working until it quit."

Post Likes
    Military surplus 6" barrel 1911 (.45)... middle back inside belt holster. In GA, you MUST have the firearm in a holster when you CC... to carry without a holster is illegal. So go to the gun show and get one of those molded thin snap-in holsters... just enough to keep the steel away from your skin. Also... one may NOT place their handgun under the seat of their vehicle... does not matter where else one puts it... just NOT under the seat. I was told it has something to do with cops and fear of CCW folks... not sure if that is true.

Most of my customers are in good neighborhoods... piece stays in the van a lot.

Now I have another question for fellow CCW folks:
    Scenario: You are pulled over by a cop for whatever reason (license check, speeding, etc), you are carrying... how do you handle it?

GA: First, I put my hands on the upper part of the steering wheel (if it is night turn on the interior lights). Then when the officer arrives; I explain I am a legal CCW permit holder and I do have a firearm in the vehicle... and ask him what he wants me to do... then be quiet and look at him with a non-threatening look...
    The last time I did this... he looked at me for a few seconds (I think he was profiling)... and said: I knew from the computer you have the permit, THX for your honesty. Where is it? I answered below this item (named the item) beside me. Officer asked me if I would stand outside the vehicle, I said sure. I locked the door when I got out.
    Officer did the usual license, registration, insurance thing... and some small conversation... (again, I think he was profiling me).
    Officer explained he was looking for a vehicle same description as mine... and asked me where I was at such/such time. I replied on a service call... said I had a signed ticket from the call... and the GPS program in the phone can verify time and location all day... nice gadget... (chuckle). Showed him my Galaxy Note 2 (BIG phone).
    I asked the officer what was going on... he said he was not supposed to talk about on-going investigations... I said I understood. He seemed to loose some tension... so I volunteered conversation.
    I asked why officers carry 40 cal now... He said clip capacity. I said I carry a military 1911. We talked about ballistics and training, I mentioned I spend a lot of time shooting and reviewing situational awareness. He said he wished more CCW holders would take situational awareness classes.
    Officer said THX and sent me on my way.
    Turns out someone driving a van the same color committed a crime a few hours previous... heard that on the news later.
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Your comfort, Your way, Everyday!

GA's basic rules of home heating and AC upgrades:
    *Installation is more important than the brand of equipment
    *The duct system keeps the house comfortable; the equipment only heats and cools (and dehumidifies)
    *The value of comfort, over the long term; leave economic choices behind!
    Choose your contractor wisely!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by McLean Air View Post
    Don't rub it in. Actually, aren't you able to do open carry legally in AZ too?
    Here in NW FL, most people do carry and it's not too hard to get your permit. Just takes some time. I would hope that anyone who has the ability to carry, does so. Most of us are walking into strangers house or working behind buildings where we could face an attacker of some sort. Don't get me wrong, being a big, mean, ugly, MF does help some of us but it's nice to know it's there. And to answer the original question, Glock 19.
    Open carry is a grey area in GA...

Last Friday we had a 2nd amendment rally downtown in front of the state capital building... some folks had their AR-15's (with loaded magazines in their pocket, not in the weapon).
    OTOH: was chatting with a few guys in the parking lot of an auto supply last year... Cop came along and busted one for open carry of a 1911. Took him away in cuffs. Bet he got charged with a felony and lost his permit... shame... guy was an X marine and pretty smart... just had an attitude.
    GA-HVAC-Tech

*The duct system keeps the house comfortable; the equipment only heats and cools (and dehumidifies)

Post Likes
    24" Ridgid pipe wrench behind the seat & two duct board knifes in my toolbox.

Post Likes
    Yes, you CAN carry under the seat if it us in a locked device. GA, there is NO way he could know that you have a CCW permit before making contact. The only info he had was a vehicle plate . NCIC cannot connect vehicle info with CCW info, only registered owner and/or stolen vehicle info. I don't tell them anything on a routine traffic stop (I try to stay within the law). If it appears that the contact will escalate, THEN I will let him know that I am carrying. IMO you have increased suspicion and probable cause for more interaction that in my case is not necessary. However, if I did something bad I would let them know immediately. I don't disagree with how you handled it in telling him before, but I personally don't have a lot of time or interest to chat with Law Enforcement on the side of the road while everyone drives by my clearly marked service van making unfounded judgements as to what is happening. I have every right to carry my weapon concealed and inform them when it is necessary.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ga-hvac-tech View Post
    Military surplus 6" barrel 1911 (.45)... middle back inside belt holster. In GA, you MUST have the firearm in a holster when you CC... to carry without a holster is illegal. So go to the gun show and get one of those molded thin snap-in holsters... just enough to keep the steel away from your skin. Also... one may NOT place their handgun under the seat of their vehicle... does not matter where else one puts it... just NOT under the seat. I was told it has something to do with cops and fear of CCW folks... not sure if that is true.

Most of my customers are in good neighborhoods... piece stays in the van a lot.

Now I have another question for fellow CCW folks:
    Scenario: You are pulled over by a cop for whatever reason (license check, speeding, etc), you are carrying... how do you handle it?

GA: First, I put my hands on the upper part of the steering wheel (if it is night turn on the interior lights). Then when the officer arrives; I explain I am a legal CCW permit holder and I do have a firearm in the vehicle... and ask him what he wants me to do... then be quiet and look at him with a non-threatening look...
    The last time I did this... he looked at me for a few seconds (I think he was profiling)... and said: I knew from the computer you have the permit, THX for your honesty. Where is it? I answered below this item (named the item) beside me. Officer asked me if I would stand outside the vehicle, I said sure. I locked the door when I got out.
    Officer did the usual license, registration, insurance thing... and some small conversation... (again, I think he was profiling me).
    Officer explained he was looking for a vehicle same description as mine... and asked me where I was at such/such time. I replied on a service call... said I had a signed ticket from the call... and the GPS program in the phone can verify time and location all day... nice gadget... (chuckle). Showed him my Galaxy Note 2 (BIG phone).
    I asked the officer what was going on... he said he was not supposed to talk about on-going investigations... I said I understood. He seemed to loose some tension... so I volunteered conversation.
    I asked why officers carry 40 cal now... He said clip capacity. I said I carry a military 1911. We talked about ballistics and training, I mentioned I spend a lot of time shooting and reviewing situational awareness. He said he wished more CCW holders would take situational awareness classes.
    Officer said THX and sent me on my way.
    Turns out someone driving a van the same color committed a crime a few hours previous... heard that on the news later.
    I think you handled it really well. I've always thought to give the courtesy to tell them that you have your weapon on them. Trying to give them the courtesy since their safety is your safety. Couldn't imagine walking up to a car like that knowing anyone could be armed.

Post Likes
    If you get pulled over in Tx, at the time the officer ask for your DL you are to give them your CCL as well. Generally they will ask if you are carrying, run your DL, and then send you on your way with a warning. As a rule the LEO here are more comfortable with CCL holders and will usually let you slide on most tickets. From both my experience and other friends with CCL.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Helioson View Post
    Yes, you CAN carry under the seat if it us in a locked device. GA, there is NO way he could know that you have a CCW permit before making contact. The only info he had was a vehicle plate . NCIC cannot connect vehicle info with CCW info, only registered owner and/or stolen vehicle info. I don't tell them anything on a routine traffic stop (I try to stay within the law). If it appears that the contact will escalate, THEN I will let him know that I am carrying. IMO you have increased suspicion and probable cause for more interaction that in my case is not necessary. However, if I did something bad I would let them know immediately. I don't disagree with how you handled it in telling him before, but I personally don't have a lot of time or interest to chat with Law Enforcement on the side of the road while everyone drives by my clearly marked service van making unfounded judgements as to what is happening. I have every right to carry my weapon concealed and inform them when it is necessary.
    Hmmm... Friends who are cops would disagree with you on CCW permits and Cops knowing... after all... Cops are in State of GA and permits are state of GA.

Each of us uses our best approach. I do better with the friendly approach... works for me. Others use the boundaries approach... works for them.

As noted in my story above... as I chatted with the guy... I was aware he was profiling me. As we talked... I saw the tension ease with him... he realized I was not a threat to him... actually I was one of the good guys.

I can understand your point about not wanting folks to see your van pulled over by a cop... My van is not marked well (no wrap, no big add... only license and phone # in small letters low on each front door). If you were not looking, you would miss the fact it is a service van. I have as much referral business as I want/need...

I do HVAC service for a few cops... they always seem to be willing to answer questions for me if I ask. Long term relationships help.
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Post Likes
    Good points. I guess I just don't get pulled over or have to much interaction with LE. I was a cop and have several cop friends and they say the same: probable cause is the can opener to Pandora's box.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ryan1088 View Post
    I think you handled it really well. I've always thought to give the courtesy to tell them that you have your weapon on them. Trying to give them the courtesy since their safety is your safety. Couldn't imagine walking up to a car like that knowing anyone could be armed.
    As noted... each of us has our way to doing things.... For me it is to make friends with someone. Just my way.
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeus View Post
    If you get pulled over in Tx, at the time the officer ask for your DL you are to give them your CCL as well. Generally they will ask if you are carrying, run your DL, and then send you on your way with a warning. As a rule the LEO here are more comfortable with CCL holders and will usually let you slide on most tickets. From both my experience and other friends with CCL.
    I wish professional courtesy was as nice here in GA as it was when I lived in Texas (Houston, left in 1987).

I remember if one had a current '100 club' sticker on their car... they got a lot of slack for minor traffic offenses... not so in GA. I have a Sheriff's supporter association plate on the front of the vehicles (we only have rear license plates). Cops still hassle you...

Sometimes I still think of moving back to Texas... NOT to Houston though... that place is just too big now. Hill country sounds good to me...
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Helioson View Post
    Good points. I guess I just don't get pulled over or have to much interaction with LE. I was a cop and have several cop friends and they say the same: probable cause is the can opener to Pandora's box.
    MeThinks it depends on the person and the cop... Some folks respond to friendliness... some do not. I have always done well being friendly... however I see it does not always work for everyone else.

In the end, each of us has to do what we do best.

Just curious... did you do your 20 and retire... or did you leave LE for another reason?
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Post Likes
    Only because you ask and I also want to be friendly, I left after 11 yrs. My best friend was shot in the back while trying to break up a bar fight and left a young family behind. It's been difficult to say the least. I/my family have been targeted because of that job. I personally decided my families safety was more important than my career. I admire those who do LE, they have my full respect, but I don't owe them and they don't owe me. When you get pulled over, you're a suspect, plain and simple. His, your, other vehicle operators, and tax payers should have their safety/courtesy in mind as well, just keep it brief and move along. Thanks for asking.

Post Likes
    Fully understand the choice you made... I would have done the same thing. Shame the job is as dangerous as it is... most of the cops I know are single.

Sorry for your friend... I hope his family is getting along after the loss.
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Post Likes
    My friends family is fine after several years. The threats from the gang bangers, lawyers, investigators an insurance people were not nearly as bad as the 5 and 7 year old little girls nightmares and questions. It's all good. They are now beautiful young women with a very adult perception of life and there is a peculiar beauty in the life of a widow that I admire from a distance. Again, thanks for asking.

Post Likes
    Ya know... while the tragedy of what happened to Daddy/hubby is not trivial... It sounds like the pain developed some wonderful people.

Personally... I tend to enjoy the co of folks who have suffered... to those who have had it too easy. There is just more to them.

THX for sharing... I enjoyed hearing the story.
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Post Likes
    Good timing. Last friday after the safety meeting one of the bosses mentioned he knew a CC instructor and wanted to know who all would be interested. So far 17 of us have signed up. Really doubt I'll carry on the job,go to too many places where they can't be brought in and wouldn't feel comfortable leaving it in the van.
    Sig sp2022(40sw) stoked with 180 grain winchester ranger t's

Post Likes
    Not carrying. Yet. Recently purchased the FNX-45, but haven't taken the CCW class yet. I'm not a big dude, not real sure how I would conceal that cannon anyway... Been thinking about the S&W Governor as well...
    The views and opinions posted here are my own. They do not reflect the corporate policies of my employer and will most likely get me fired at some point.

Post Likes
    I have been CCW for about 6 years or so now and never thought to carry to work since i was in the feild. The second job my boss could care less if we carried but never wanted us to in certain areas such as the schools and the police station ect ect so it was hard to plan when a good day to carry was so I just never did. Ive been working at this new job for a few months know and to be honest I have carried a few times but at the same time I live where the newtown shootings occured and the weeks after alot of nut jobs seem to have come out and the thought of being on a jobsite unarmed just didnt make any sense when you hear about a guy running around with a rifle or gun down the street or something.

I recently picked up a Taurus tcp i have a pocket holster for it and is a nice carry gun. I also orders an inside the waste band custom holster that i might carry to work depending how it feels on me and how comfortable it is to work with

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in