Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cold House This Morning

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by qwerty hvac View Post
    If you are not a contractor then the distributor will not sell to you. He may have found it at one of his fellow contractors
    I didn't try to buy from a distributor though. The recommended dealer from Carrier.com informed me that the couldn't even get on from the distributor. Sears would have sold it to me, but he said there was a note from the manufacturer not to sell the part to anyone, but to contact the manufacturer. I'll be giving Carrier a call tomorrow

Quote Originally Posted by catmanacman View Post
    they are probably out if stock because those crappy draft inducers fail like crazy ,call sears to come and replace it for you or go get a amish heater until the part comes in
    I have heard the the Carrier inducers aren't great from a few friends that have replaced 2 or more within the last 5 years. I used a local contractor, so Sears is out. I just called them as it was the only place where I could find the part online.

Post Likes
    More concerns:

I called Carrier this AM regarding the inducer assembly. They informed me that they cannot ship parts from their location, nor do they have a database to search for parts, so it looks like you guys have a "special" line. The woman informed me that the authorized dealers would be able to help me.

So, I first called the independant authorized dealer I called yesterday. The lady seemed less than enthused to speak with me and said the woman I spoke to yesterday would call me back. Awaiting for that callback.

Next, I called Sears, also an authorized dealer. The gentleman informed me that the manufacturer NO LONGER MAKES THE PART and that no replacement is suggested. Interesting. Now remember, this is a 10-year old furnace that I would assume cost around $-$$. Is it really obsolete after 10-years? Are there no "end-of-life" rules in the HVAC world for spare parts?

So, back to my original concern. How did my HVAC gentleman find the part (if it's even the correct part) two towns over when the independant authorized dealer could not get the part yesterday and Sears says it is no longer manufactured?

What should I do?

p.s. - the furnace ran for about 4 hours last night before I shut it down to goto bed. I didn't want the motor trying to turn a siezed unit. Then, it ran for 2.5 hours this morning before I left for work with no issues.
    Last edited by beenthere; 01-10-2013 at 03:59 PM. Reason: Price guess

Post Likes
    Oh, this is the part number I was given by the independent authorized dealer:

327740-714

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by 91stealthes View Post
    Oh, this is the part number I was given by the independent authorized dealer:

327740-714
    wrong part number.

More concerns:

I called Carrier this AM regarding the inducer assembly. They informed me that they cannot ship parts from their location, nor do they have a database to search for parts, so it looks like you guys have a "special" line. The woman informed me that the authorized dealers would be able to help me.

So, I first called the independant authorized dealer I called yesterday. The lady seemed less than enthused to speak with me and said the woman I spoke to yesterday would call me back. Awaiting for that callback.

Next, I called Sears, also an authorized dealer. The gentleman informed me that the manufacturer NO LONGER MAKES THE PART and that no replacement is suggested. Interesting. Now remember, this is a 10-year old furnace that I would assume cost around $7-10k. Is it really obsolete after 10-years? Are there no "end-of-life" rules in the HVAC world for spare parts?

So, back to my original concern. How did my HVAC gentleman find the part (if it's even the correct part) two towns over when the independant authorized dealer could not get the part yesterday and Sears says it is no longer manufactured?

What should I do?

p.s. - the furnace ran for about 4 hours last night before I shut it down to goto bed. I didn't want the motor trying to turn a siezed unit. Then, it ran for 2.5 hours this morning before I left for work with no issues.
    I called my carrier supplier, and while it's not in stock, it is at the manufacturers site, and can be shipped in 3-5 business days...
    I don't know if the rules allow me to list the part number on the site, but the part number you listed is not correct.
    The TRUE highest cost system is the system not installed properly...

Find a HVAC-Talk Contractor by clicking here

Click below to BECOME a pro member
    https://hvac-talk.com/vbb/forumdispl...ip-Information

Do you go to a boat repairman with a sinking boat, and tell him to put in a bigger motor when he tells you to fix the holes?

I am yourmrfixit

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by vstech View Post
    wrong part number.

I called my carrier supplier, and while it's not in stock, it is at the manufacturers site, and can be shipped in 3-5 business days...
    I don't know if the rules allow me to list the part number on the site, but the part number you listed is not correct.
    You are great! Thank for taking the time to make the call and double check the part number! I provided the independent authorized dealer with the model number and series number yesterday and that is what she told me. Not to self, never use that dealer

Post Likes
    sears is for sears...

Do you go to a boat repairman with a sinking boat, and tell him to put in a bigger motor when he tells you to fix the holes?

I am yourmrfixit

Post Likes
    if I were you, I'd click on the aop pro finder link at the top of the forum, and type in your address, then call the contractor closest to you on our list. if none are nearby, open the phone book and call the contractor that lists carrier/bryant/payne as their equipment of choice, and they can have the motor in your house in a week...

AOP CONTRACTOR LOOKUP

I am yourmrfixit

Post Likes
    More concerns:

Next, I called Sears, also an authorized dealer. The gentleman informed me that the manufacturer NO LONGER MAKES THE PART and that no replacement is suggested. Interesting. Now remember, this is a 10-year old furnace that I would assume cost around $$$$. Is it really obsolete after 10-years? Are there no "end-of-life" rules in the HVAC world for spare parts?

What should I do?

No prices on here. Not a DIY site

You can usually get a full system for that much.

If you paid upper 4 figures for a furnace only install, you got ripped off unless you need ot remove a wall or rent a large crane ot install it... yes, it happen in commerical & indsutrial. .

A ID fan should not have failed within 10 years, but again, it's probably oversized and short cycling, so there's a LOT of wear and tear on that fan. Start & stops are what wear out motors faster, not runtime.

Few dealers will be insterested in selling you parts. Feel free to search online. You can get ballpark prices for furnaces, you might even find your part and some p*** p*** instructions on how to install it fomr some DIY site.

You'd be money ahead to just replace your furnace with a new, properly size high effciency unit and save 15% on your gas use, more depending on how oversized it is now.

FYI, I can heat my whole 3200sqft home with just 70k BTU's at 0F outdoor temp and it's only average insulation with a lot of windows. If it burnt down tommorrow and I rebuilt it to my specs, it would need 1/2 that, mostly due to ventilation requirements.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by motoguy128 View Post
    No prices on here. Not a DIY site

You can usually get a full system for that much.

If you paid upper 4 figures for a furnace only install, you got ripped off unless you need ot remove a wall or rent a large crane ot install it... yes, it happen in commerical & indsutrial. .

A ID fan should not have failed within 10 years, but again, it's probably oversized and short cycling, so there's a LOT of wear and tear on that fan. Start & stops are what wear out motors faster, not runtime.

Few dealers will be insterested in selling you parts. Feel free to search online. You can get ballpark prices for furnaces, you might even find your part and some p*** p*** instructions on how to install it fomr some DIY site.

You'd be money ahead to just replace your furnace with a new, properly size high effciency unit and save 15% on your gas use, more depending on how oversized it is now.

FYI, I can heat my whole 3200sqft home with just 70k BTU's at 0F outdoor temp and it's only average insulation with a lot of windows. If it burnt down tommorrow and I rebuilt it to my specs, it would need 1/2 that, mostly due to ventilation requirements.
    Thanks, sorry about posting the price. I didn't install this furnace, it was there when I bought it. Are you indicating that the builder put a larger furnace than needed in the home? That would be a first, usually they skimp. Again, my home is 3100 sf of main living with a 1500 sf basement that has ductwork as well.

A dealer from my hometown helped me with the appropriate part number. It is 326628-765.

Now, it seems my HVAC guy is charging me 2x it's cost in labor. For a job that will take less than 45 minutes, I find this unreasonable. I am incorrect in my logic?

Again, you all have been great!

Post Likes
    Those 2 towns must be close together so he can drive there and come back and install it all in 45 minutes.
    I wish I had a $1.00 for every response I deleted.....

"Decidedly Superior in a twisted pathetic way".....

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by beshvac View Post
    Those 2 towns must be close together so he can drive there and come back and install it all in 45 minutes.
    Yeah, yeah, drive time and mileage. So it's 15 minutes there and 15 minutes back, so technically, he could drive and do the whole job in 45 minutes if he is good. You know what I meant though, 45 minutes for the part change. Though, even with drive time at the government rate of $0.55 a mile, that's only $11. I have no problem paying drive time as well.

I really like you guys here. Great information and light-hearted at the same time.

Post Likes
    larger furnace don't cost much more (maybe 1% if that on the total install price for each size increment), but most csutomers have become accustomed to pushing the thermostst and feeling instant heat, not a slow steady even heat. Some homeowners (I think they are weird) are so used to oversized units that they like the noise, woosh and rush of hot air.... it's comforting or something. IF it's 0F outside and a furance barely keeps up or takes 2-3 hours ot raise the tmep 1-2F, then many woudl think something is wrong and call a contractor.

Depending on where you live and construction, its might not be too far off. Home construction makes a big difference. If my home was Victorian stick frame it might need 100k or more. But being stucco and 1920 arts and crafts and well construction using more modern building techniques plus good storm windows, it's a lot better off.

You sure it takes only 45 minutes to change? He may have a 1 hour minimum as well or a minimum service charge just to show up. He may have to pick up the parts, travel to your house, he has tools, equipment insurance (health, workmans comp, liability), training and should gurantee the installation of that component. He also has a building, inventory costs, and maybe he doesn't like to mark-up the parts, but charger a little more for labor.

Investigate starting you own business and see how much you'd have to charge per hour assuming you can fill a full 40 hour work week.

For my workplace a HVAC contractor can also add on tiem for safety training, time needed to get work permits signed.

Don't forget, all those competitive bids, then may be free to you, but it's still someone's time to come to your home and put them together. All that gets rolled into overhead, whcih gets spread over an hourly rate. I find that smaller shops are often more reasonable for that reason. Less overhead.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by motoguy128 View Post
    larger furnace don't cost much more (maybe 1% if that on the total install price for each size increment), but most csutomers have become accustomed to pushing the thermostst and feeling instant heat, not a slow steady even heat. Some homeowners (I think they are weird) are so used to oversized units that they like the noise, woosh and rush of hot air.... it's comforting or something. IF it's 0F outside and a furance barely keeps up or takes 2-3 hours ot raise the tmep 1-2F, then many woudl think something is wrong and call a contractor.

Depending on where you live and construction, its might not be too far off. Home construction makes a big difference. If my home was Victorian stick frame it might need 100k or more. But being stucco and 1920 arts and crafts and well construction using more modern building techniques plus good storm windows, it's a lot better off.

You sure it takes only 45 minutes to change? He may have a 1 hour minimum as well or a minimum service charge just to show up. He may have to pick up the parts, travel to your house, he has tools, equipment insurance (health, workmans comp, liability), training and should gurantee the installation of that component. He also has a building, inventory costs, and maybe he doesn't like to mark-up the parts, but charger a little more for labor.

Investigate starting you own business and see how much you'd have to charge per hour assuming you can fill a full 40 hour work week.

For my workplace a HVAC contractor can also add on tiem for safety training, time needed to get work permits signed.

Don't forget, all those competitive bids, then may be free to you, but it's still someone's time to come to your home and put them together. All that gets rolled into overhead, whcih gets spread over an hourly rate. I find that smaller shops are often more reasonable for that reason. Less overhead.
    I completely agree. My wife has owned 2 security businesses. The are definitely costs involved as well as overhead. I agree, it isn't easy, especially in a time when alot of people are becoming do-it-yourselfers.

He is a one-man show, so not much overhead other than a van, license and bond. I have no problem paying for service, especially for something as important as heat in the cold Illinois winters. Maybe it is just me, but I think 1.5 the cost of the part is excessive for only labor. Look up the parts cost and let me know what you think. I am sure you wouldn't want to pay that.

If it wasn't an important part of my furnace, I would change it myself. But not worth the risk in this situation.

My home was finished 10-years ago. I am unsure about how well insulated it is. With the furnace turned off, it dropped 7 degrees (69-62) in 8 hours. Is that good? Outside dropped to 33 overnight I believe.

Edit: upon turning the furnace back on when I woke up, it was up to 71 within 2 hours. Temperature outside was around 35 at that time.

Edit 2: Just reread your post. I didn't do any competitive bids. Just the one gentleman referred from my old HVAC guy.

Post Likes
    Yeah, yeah, drive time and mileage. So it's 15 minutes there and 15 minutes back, so technically, he could drive and do the whole job in 45 minutes if he is good. You know what I meant though, 45 minutes for the part change. Though, even with drive time at the government rate of $0.55 a mile, that's only $11. I have no problem paying drive time as well.

I really like you guys here. Great information and light-hearted at the same time.
    Does he get any time to get out of the truck and go stand in line at the parts counter?
    I wish I had a $1.00 for every response I deleted.....

"Decidedly Superior in a twisted pathetic way".....

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by beshvac View Post
    Does he get any time to get out of the truck and go stand in line at the parts counter?
    Nope, don't you guys just drive by and they throw the parts through the window.

Post Likes
    Thanks again everyone!!

Gary showed up with the part yesterday, was out in about 40 minutes. It took longer because the old inducer wouldn't break free to release the mounting bracket, so he tried to spray it and then had to cut the shaft.

Everything is working great and we are quiet again. He ended up charging me 1x the part cost for labor, so not too bad. I didn't object.

Thanks again for the support and knowledge! All of you were great!

Post Likes
    You will receive our bill in the mail.
    Lets see X amount of post plus search time + ummm big bucks.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    LOL, his is invisible, like mine, and all other moderators here, but he is approved to post in the AOP forums.
    I'm asterikless... my life is over

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Senior Tech View Post
    I'm asterikless... my life is over
    Oh no, then my life is over too.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in