+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New Smart phone

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltaT View Post
    I've tested out 3 phones in the past two months. All new, all full of crap I don't want and don't need and won't use. My AT&T bill went up $30.00 too.

I finally settled on a Rugby Samsung Smart Phone which is made to military specs. It's not a phone. It's a pain in the butt for those that just want and need a phone, period.

But it the new way and they control me, I don't control them anymore as a consumer.

I was forced to go from my Treo to a new phone by AT&T cause of the upgrade in service, which I understand. But I have lost most of my contacts, customer lists and info and my calendar and appointments.

And, yes, not trusting this crap, I still kept my original Treo and all the info. I have yet to find a way to easily transfter my contact info from one phone to the other using anytype of software and that includes the one's that Samsung recommend.

So I'm stuck, as you will be, and I'm going one day at a time including carrying my old Treo with me so I can look up the information that I need.

Good luck out there.
    Is the Treo a smartphone?

Does either phone have Bluetooth?

Post Likes
    Ok. I am going to confess a different approach that I have. I believe in using the right tool for the job. After being forced to use every Blackberry that came along, I was disappointed by reception and everything else. We are in a very rural area up here and have to travel a lot to do what we do. Cell Phone dead spots are everywhere. I (and a couple of others in our company) decided to go back to our Motorola Quantico flip phones. The reception was unbeatable, they are waterprooof and weather resistant. They aren't affected by cold and hot.

For mobile business use, we chose to use a tablet (iPad in our case). The US Cellular mobile hotspot device serves us nicely in this area and the tablet is easier for old guys like me to see than a smartphone screen. I know that I am in the minority, but it works for us.

Post Likes
    I LOVED my Treo. The easiest way to carry all of the contacts and appointments in one shot (for me anyway) was through Outlook. Palm had a sync app that synced all of your contacts, to do, appts etc with Outlook.
    The new phone should have a similar app. that will get all of your info from outlook. If your company uses an Exchange server it will be even simpler.

Of course if you don't have Outlook, I think there is a way to sync it to the google cloud then to the new device.

Post Likes
    I currently have an iPhone 4, but I think I'm going Android next time. I have an Android tablet, so I'm already familiar with the OS.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by chaard View Post
    My otterbox is already worn after several months. The screen cover is scratched and there is no replacement. The rubber case is loose. Liquid still gets in around the edge of the screen. But it does the job.
    There's another iPhone case called the Lifeproof case. My sister got one because her toddler threw her phone in the toilet. They're supposed to be waterproof in addition to being shockproof etc..

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete838 View Post
    I LOVED my Treo. The easiest way to carry all of the contacts and appointments in one shot (for me anyway) was through Outlook. Palm had a sync app that synced all of your contacts, to do, appts etc with Outlook.
    The new phone should have a similar app. that will get all of your info from outlook. If your company uses an Exchange server it will be even simpler.

Of course if you don't have Outlook, I think there is a way to sync it to the google cloud then to the new device.
    Same here. I actually have three of them cause I knew I'd use them forever. What a joke on me. The sync program and operation was flawless.

Treo's are now a dumb phone in that they are no longer made, I'm told, and they are not 3G or whatever.

The new syn program I'm told to use to switch over all my contacts is a MS Office Outlook, which I used, but the fields are not in the same order nor do they use the same filed names so most of my fields don't show up in my new Samsung smart phone.

As for the calender on my Samsung, it's awful compared to the Treo. And the contacts are harder to use.
    "The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers it can bribe the public with the public's own money.
    - Alexis de Toqueville, 1835

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by k-fridge View Post
    I currently have an iPhone 4, but I think I'm going Android next time. I have an Android tablet, so I'm already familiar with the OS.
    I thought about it for almost a year... I was disappointed when the 4S came out... all we got was a mechanical lady to tell us things... and her voice is not that sexy... <grin>. Then I watched the S2, then the S3, then waited for Apple's entry the i-phone 5... was disappointed. Then I see this 'Note 2'... basically an S-3 with a slightly larger screen and these cool stylus apps. Seems like a nice tool for the business.
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Your comfort, Your way, Everyday!

GA's basic rules of home heating and AC upgrades:
    *Installation is more important than the brand of equipment
    *The duct system keeps the house comfortable; the equipment only heats and cools (and dehumidifies)
    *The value of comfort, over the long term; leave economic choices behind!
    Choose your contractor wisely!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltaT View Post
    Same here. I actually have three of them cause I knew I'd use them forever. What a joke on me. The sync program and operation was flawless.

Treo's are now a dumb phone in that they are no longer made, I'm told, and they are not 3G or whatever.

The new syn program I'm told to use to switch over all my contacts is a MS Office Outlook, which I used, but the fields are not in the same order nor do they use the same filed names so most of my fields don't show up in my new Samsung smart phone.

As for the calender on my Samsung, it's awful compared to the Treo. And the contacts are harder to use.
    There's an app called Bluetooth file
    transfer.
    You can transfer anything from one phone to another using the app.

Post Likes
    Radiohack can do the phone to phone transfer to get folks setup on there new phone...it free and beats standing in line at the phone store.

HTC has software called HTC sync. That with a cable will sync your outlook to the phone.not sure what Sammy's versionis...

For voice mail...get vinbox. If you want the transcriptions its 4.99 a mth. But otherwise free....comes with a free mth triall aswell.
    Of you want to delete the bundled software from the phone you have to root it...check xda-developers forum out.

Sent from my EVO 4G using Tapatalk 2
    Testing....Signature on Full Site Forum

Post Likes
    I heard that radioshack is selling the SIII for $50 and it comes with a $50 play store gift card.

Sent from my ERIS using Tapatalk 2

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jdblack View Post
    I heard that radioshack is selling the SIII for $50 and it comes with a $50 play store gift card.

Sprint thru Best buy is $50 also on black friday
    Officially, Down for the count

YOU HAVE TO GET OFF YOUR ASS TO GET ON YOUR FEET

I know enough to know, I don't know enough
    Why is it that those who complain the most contribute the least?
    MONEY CAN'T BUY HAPPINESS. POVERTY CAN'T BUY ANYTHING

Post Likes
    I have a Samsung Galaxy 3 for 3 months now. Have had the S1 and S2. S1 got broken from a 30 foot fall. My son has my old S2. S3 is the best phone I have seen however I haven't owned any i's.

I used to use Outlook for all my contacts (1200+) but when I broke the S1, I discovered my contacts and information in it were lost too.

Now I use Google Contacts and can access all from any phone, tablet or pc.
    Lost or new phone? Sign in and they're all there, nothing lost.

I also use Evernote so I have all my info available to me through any device as well.
    I save all downloaded manuals, photocopied paperwork, equipment data from jobsites, audio files from discussions with customers, etc. It has a great snapshot feature that I use to photograph wiring diagrams on unit panels or paperwork so I have an instantly saved copy.

Check out YouTube videos for Evernote and Google Contacts/calendar if you want to see how they work.

Both are cloud computing and are great so far. I also backup anything important on disc or stick to be safe.

Sent from my SGH-I747M through Skynet using Tapatalk 2 while keeping one eye open for the Terminator...

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete838 View Post
    There's another iPhone case called the Lifeproof case. My sister got one because her toddler threw her phone in the toilet. They're supposed to be waterproof in addition to being shockproof etc..
    I have one of these on my iPhone 4 and it is as advertised. I test the case everything I take the phone out to clean it to make sure it's still waterproof. I dropped it off a 6 foot ladder and all was well. The only trouble is the waterproof part makes it hard to hear on in a loud environment without a headset on.

Post Likes
    iPhone 5 with otter box for personal phone, I've had the iPhone since it came out. When my 4S battery acted up I brought it to apple and they replaced the whole device.

In my work truck I have a company Motorola droid.

Android is the clumsiest buggiest crap I've ever used.

As for the otterbox it has a one year warranty any issues either go back to where you got it or call them and they will replace it at no cost.

Post Likes
    Kool and I are very similar in cloud uses. All contacts go into my gmail first then imported into quickbooks. I however use dropbox for file storage. I don't use evermore very heavily.

Post Likes
    I tried Dropbox but find Evernote to be much more powerful with its search function and tagging abilities.

We recently moved to Online QuickBooks and have been impressed so far. The messaging feature allows us to communicate status of invoices, tasks, or required parts to order among other things. By placing a message and checking the box next to who you want to see it, we communicate between the office staff, field techs, and the bookkeeper.

I am finding more ways everyday to use cloud storage and retrieval that makes my company and my personal life more efficient and therefore more profitable.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jlanesey View Post
    iPhone 5 with otter box for personal phone, I've had the iPhone since it came out. When my 4S battery acted up I brought it to apple and they replaced the whole device.

In my work truck I have a company Motorola droid.

Android is the clumsiest buggiest crap I've ever used.

As for the otterbox it has a one year warranty any issues either go back to where you got it or call them and they will replace it at no cost.
    Otterbox will not warranty due to normal wear and tear.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by chaard View Post
    Otterbox will not warranty due to normal wear and tear.
    Yes they will,Had one on a Iphone 4 .The rubber started to tare and the case started to crack,all due to hard wear.They sent me a new one,they just asked a few questions over the phone! Got a 5 now ,the otterbox is much improved,love the phone and the case.Also just got a mini I pad.

Post Likes
    Yeah definitely no issues with a replacement. Sometimes the AT&amp;T store is a little more of a pain, but otterbox has excellent customer service and if you call them directly they will send you a replacement no matter what the issue with it is.

Post Likes
    I have had two otterbox defenders for my SG3 break at the clip when I sat down and the case caught on the soft chair arm. My fault but they warrantied them at Future Shop no problem. They replaced the entire product which gave me new unscratched screen covers too! HAAAAPPY Customer!

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 2

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in