+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Getting Stung

Post Likes

Getting Stung

Got stung for the third time, from Yellow jackets. All have been at home, I've killed six nest, plus one in the Neighbors yard. I use Sevin Dust on the nest entrance so they will track it under ground. Tried the Traps, only caught a few. Thankfully I'm not allergic, at least not yet.

Post Likes
    You should see me at work. I go around on the hunt when im on a maintenance. Try to take care of them so if we end up there for service work most of them will be gone. Then I silicone up the holes so they cant make nests in disconnect boxes Etc. I hate bees. Have not been stung in the 5 years or so ive been in the trade lol.

When I am doing a service call on a roof I usually always have wasp killer with me and remove and open panels carefully on them RTU's. Don't want any surprises!
    Gotta have the right tool for the job!

Where is all the stuff MADE IN THE USA?

"Thats what we do Troy. Incredible, Invisible, Imbelivable things. We are an Unseen, Unknown, Unvincible fraternity of craftsman.."

Post Likes
    For what it's worth...

I was in my storage building one day and one kept flying around the door...one shot with Brake-Kleen and he hit the dirt like a missile.

None of the flying insect or wasp killer ever worked that good!

Post Likes
    Without a doubt the worst I was hit happened to be at a church. They had a nice little patch of purple cone flowers next to the AC with an underground bumble bee nest 20' away. They didn't bother me untill the vacuum pump started then it was holy crap attack mode.

Post Likes

bee stings

Quote Originally Posted by martyinlincoln View Post
    Without a doubt the worst I was hit happened to be at a church. They had a nice little patch of purple cone flowers next to the AC with an underground bumble bee nest 20' away. They didn't bother me untill the vacuum pump started then it was holy crap attack mode.
    my wife was working in our yard and grabbed some branches of a bush and woke up an underground nest & got stung about 18 times....i walked in a few minutesl later and went right to the phone for 911.....they were here in 5 minutes with all kinds of monitors , etc on her. it was a close call as she is allergic to bee venom . she now carries an epipen for an emergency antidote shot....If you're allergic to bee stings you can be in trouble....get some help immediatly.....

Post Likes
    In a pinch leak detector in a spray bottle (soap) will ground them, they can't fly with soap on their wings, then use your foot for the final ending

Lorsban works very good to kill them also

Post Likes

Post Likes
    When I was a kid, I used to go out to the barn with a piece of furring strip, [wood 3/4x 2"?] about 4 feet long. I would swat yellow jackets with it. Mid-air. I was actually pretty good at it, sort of a Samurai wasp killer. The total barn might have 3 or 500 targets at my best estimate. Of course now I have an Xbox so that seems pretty lame. Nowadays I keep a can of wasp spray handy, you can hit the nest from 15 or 20 feet away with little effort. For the lone bandit, you can swat them with your hand [baseball cap if you wear one]. They won't sting you if you hit them with you hand, you might have to finish the job with your boot though. I have done that a hundred times, never been stung that way.
    "You boys are really making this thing harder than it has to be". Me

“They can’t do anything about it unless they start shooting people, and presumably they won’t do that.” Protester & confirmed idiot.

"I am not here to rescue you, I am bringing you along for emergency rations" Quark.

"This is me, I'm not at home. If you'd like to reach me, leave me alone." Sherl Crow

I give free estimates [Wild Ass Guesses] over the phone.

Post Likes
    Don't know about wasps but in skeeter heaven where I have a get away place we keep a good spray bottle with alcohol in it. Knocks the blood sucking #%!@ out of the air. Wife likes it cause it doesn't mark anything.

Yellow Jackets, my idiot step brother and his friends once dumped black powder down the nest. One of them thought it was a good time to light up a smoke.

Post Likes
    Spent 3 days on a compressor replacment on an RTU, found a nest when I pulled the access panel off. Ran across the roof like a little girl. This unit and the 5 others around it had multiple wasp nests in them.

Got real good taking them out in mid air with the wasp spray. did not get stung while on the roof for 3 days, went to toss some garbage in the dumpster and got stung.

Post Likes
    Toss a can of spray glue in your bucket. Works great, nice wide pattern(and good for duct linear too).

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Senior Tech View Post
    For what it's worth...

I was in my storage building one day and one kept flying around the door...one shot with Brake-Kleen and he hit the dirt like a missile.

None of the flying insect or wasp killer ever worked that good!
    I carry some wasp killer that instantly freezes whatever wasp or bee it hits. Most of the time they are still on their nest in the same position they were in right before they died.
    Signature on hold. Trying to find a real Jefferson quote I like. Others here have bogus Jefferson quotes too.

Post Likes
    Yeah I've had a few wasps, blue jackets, deer flies, horse flies, mosquito's, and black flies come at me. Usually I let the biters bite. It saves time as opposed to swinging at them like you're half retarded.
    Get money, get paid.

Post Likes
    Been seeing a new type around here this season - much longer and skinny.
    What the heck are those things?

Post Likes
    I myself am highly allergic to five different species of bees. I carry epi-pens in all of my vehicles and tool bags. Almost died the first time I was stung, was in a coma for two days.

About 15 years ago I was on a job with one of my service technicians. We were talking about being allergic to bees. He told me that he was allergic. I asked him if he carried an epi-pen, and he did not even know what they were. Long story short, that weekend he was stung by a nest yellow jackets, went into anaphylactic shock and died about two weeks later.

If you are allergic always keep an epi-pen handy. It will save your life.

Post Likes
    Back in the mid 90's one of our guys was working on a roof and got stung, he kept on working as he wasn't allergic. He straighten up from installing a transformer, and that was the last thing he remembered. There was a guy from another company that saw him approaching, and collapsed. He spent over a week in ICU. Came back to work after a couple months. He quit the next summer, couldn't handle the heat anymore, because of the damage done. Two of use went up on the roof the next day, found a paper nest in a four inch piece of pipe. The Wasp was the size of a humming bird, killed it after watching the nest, then three more showed up. Closest thing we could find that matched was a Japenese Honey Bee Killer wasp. A body was given to Nova, they tried to tell use it was a Cicada Killer, but they live under ground by themselves.

The kid next door knew where all the yellow jacket nest where, I've Sevined close to a dozen nest. He also wanted to show me a weird ant, that he played with, I finally saw it. I was like Holy Crap it's a Velvet ant. Thought they only lived in parts of Texas, OK, NM and AZ. Told him and his Dad about it's sting. I'm out of Sevin, would like to capture it and give it to Maryland Entomology.

Post Likes
    Not as lean, not as mean, but I'm still a hardcore, ass-kicking, hard charging Marine! Oohrah!

Post Likes
    Heres a short vid of a unit i worked on this monday for no cooling...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5xobceVgKw

Luckily all the wasps were out for the day

Jon

Post Likes
    Sent a chill up my spine.
    I would've video'd the one I saw the other day, but it wouldn't have been too good with me running in circles.

Post Likes
    That's what's left of a Hornets nest. Had a call 25+ years ago, they'd turned their AC off for vacation. When they returned, turned it back on, made a weird noise and it quit. The unit was a flat top York with the fan underneath, the nest actually bent the fan blade, then stalled the motor. They wanted me to do something, couldn't even go past the backyard gate, told them to get an exterminator, and to tell them the nest broke open. Then we'd be back.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in