Thread: Automotive Section?

Post Likes

Question Automotive Section?

Is there an automotive section in these fourms? I have had to try to repair a few car/truck AC units and I haven't seen info here on how to repair auto systems.

I currently have a 1997 GMC Jimmy that is leaking 134a from the compressor and would like more info on how to repair these systems.

I am bidding on a new compressor on ebay, but I don't have many auto fittings and no vacuum pump.

Post Likes
    If you have no vacuum pump.......

then you have no chance of even attempting to do it right.

I understand that you want to save money and learn new things. However this is not a DIY site. Read the rules.

I would recommend you call around to local service stations and get their opinions. Unlike HVAC, its a little easier to take your vehicle and a new compressor into a mechanic and ask him to install it.
    I fully support the military and the War on Terrorism.

If you don't know, then don't do. If you don't know and still do, then be prepared to pay someone else a lot to undo what you did and then do it right.

If you do know, then do. But do it right. Otherwise, you may not be doing it long.

Post Likes

2. Do-It-Yourselfers - not here.

This site is for industry professionals and folks seeking HVAC/R advice and knowledge. Please do not ask for step by step instructions on purchasing, installing or repairing your own HVAC equipment, that is our job and our livelihood. We are generous, but not to a fault. You guys think I'm taking away your business?

Questions of this type will not be answered and may be deleted.
    Not a DIY site? Isn't this what the internet is for? Wow, I guess I will look elsewhere. Can you recommend another site?

I will buy a vacuum pump if I can find a good price on one. I would like to do everything the right way, but I don't really want to spend $1000.00 to get my AC working right either. I'd rather spend the money on my education/tools instead of lining the service stations pocket.

I have a universal licence, but I haven't been "in the field" in a while. I'm a industrial maintenance tech, but I don't do HVAC full time.

If I can't find a reasonable price on a vac pump, I will do as you recommended.

Post Likes
    If your 608 Universal, your not certified for automotive, which is 609.

An automotive shop making money is not lining their pockets.

Post Likes
    OK, that's great. Looks like I'm on my own.

Post Likes
    Go here tell them Mr. Bill sent you and you will get special treatment.

daveyt I took away the link I don't know about linking to other sites from here but my email is in my profile to the best auto a/c forum on the net.
    Last edited by Mr Bill; 06-21-2008 at 11:52 PM.
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards" ~ Vernon Law

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." ~ John Wooden

"When the teachers become unteachable we're all in trouble" ~ Mr. Bill

"Remember "Pro" is only a name, it's not always a mindset determined to do everything correctly" ~ Mr. Bill

Post Likes
    Amazing....

I thought I was pretty nice and reasonable with my response, which is a change of pace for me.

And still people are unappreciative. I don't know why we try sometimes.

If you don't know, then don't do. If you don't know and still do, then be prepared to pay someone else a lot to undo what you did and then do it right.

If you do know, then do. But do it right. Otherwise, you may not be doing it long.

Post Likes

Yo Dave, try this

I guess that you do not read the rules either about posting links to other sites.......
    Last edited by ARPA; 06-21-2008 at 09:28 PM.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by RomulanSpy View Post
    I guess that you do not read the rules either about posting links to other sites.......

Yea, I guess Mr. Bill needs to freshen up on the rules a bit also, but at least I went back and edited my link out,
    I just had a gut feeling it was in the rules.
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards" ~ Vernon Law

"Remember "Pro" is only a name, it's not always a mindset determined to do everything correctly" ~ Mr. Bill

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by iraqveteran View Post
    Amazing....

I thought I was pretty nice and reasonable with my response, which is a change of pace for me.

And still people are unappreciative. I don't know why we try sometimes.
    I am sorry if I seemed to be an Ahole. I just need to be pointed in the right direction. Thanks Mr. Bill!

I tried to PM/email you Mr. Bill, but it's not possible?

Post Likes
    You have mail Dave and you need to edit out your email address please.
    Mr. Bill

Post Likes
    He has a very common problem with GM's H-10 compressor, it had bad body seals during the late 90,s almost every one of them have leaked, it was a epidemic the problem was fixed in 2001 and later models. If Bill sent him where I think he did he will be in very good hands.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Tsubaki View Post
    If Bill sent him where I think he did he will be in very good hands.

I sent him to Tim's place or TRB but they are really slow on the weekends he probably will get better responses on Monday,
    but you may have just answered his question.

Post Likes

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Tsubaki View Post
    He has a very common problem with GM's H-10 compressor, it had bad body seals during the late 90,s almost every one of them have leaked, it was a epidemic the problem was fixed in 2001 and later models. If Bill sent him where I think he did he will be in very good hands.
    I agree. GM had problems in the past (before the 90's) with ceramic compressor seals as well.

Post Likes

Question gm compressors

i am a certified gm tech (do ac and electricla) i read this thread and am
    amused/confused . all of you say leave repairs you are not qualified for
    to a proffesional.we are not lining our pockets we are just making a
    living. we do not set the labor rates and our pay rate is a fraction of that
    rate which has widened over the years . also buying and bringing your
    own parts .ive seen a thread in another section of this forum and from
    most replies i dont guess you guys are real keen on us buying from
    internet and asking you to install. i am having a complete system done in my
    home and am leaving it to a qualified dealer .i dont want to work on my hvac
    system when i get home i just want to turn it on. i also made a post asking
    opinions on my install choice and this question has generated more response
    than my home heat pump question. by the way if you buy a gm compressor
    from a gm dealer and a gm tech installs it,compressor is covered by a
    lifetime warranty as is water pump,starter alternator.

Post Likes
    This is the only good I see from having a dealer do it is that it's covered under warranty. Since I fix machines for a living, I'm a DIY type of person, because it's a hobby of mine, so I'd do any repairs myself that I can.

I have had 4 head gasket failures on my 2.2L Sonoma and I brought it to the best/biggest dealer in town. $125.00 an hour? Techs get what, $20 an hour? $1300.00 later it's fixed. The gasket blew again after 12 months, and they repaired it under warranty. Then it blew again later and I had a local mechanic fix it for $700.00. Same warranty.

I think this fix at a big GM dealer would cost at least $1000.00. I called about the compressor and they wanted $523.00 for the kit.

I wanted a pin for the rear tire mount and it was $31.00, and $18.00 for the bushing each, which I need 4. GM parts seem REALLY expensive.

Post Likes
    GM parts cost nothing compared to............

MOPAR!!!!!!

I need a part for my dodge, I gotta sell my first born and re-finance the house to do it.

Post Likes
    i did exactly that: bought a compressor off ebay and gave it to my mechanic to install and vacuum the system. then i installed the refrigerant myself. after i removed the fitting, the shreader valve got stuck! so i just put the cap back on and am praying. its not leaking but eventually i will need to evacuate and repair the valve.

one point: ask for the old compressor back as you an sell it to a jobber as a core

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in