+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pipe Temperatures

Post Likes

Pipe Temperatures

This is a survey on when you take pipe temperatures.

Do you take pipe temperatures without your gauges hooked up as a quick check?

If you answered yes to this question, what type of instrument do you use and what is the reason for the quick check?

Post Likes
    Little one warm... Big one cold and sweating if I am. Fast hit and run its workin REALLY JUST KIDDIN But it works to some extent , most of my no cooling call are just office people Remember we live in 68 to 72 degrees. Some like it 68 some 72 ... Ever deal with office women ? Especially the one under the diffuser? although nothing to do with thread ( sorry venting ) . Cooper temp probe is the one I use. And gauges also unless hit and run

Post Likes
    You need air temps along with pipe temps.
    Russ if your looking for new product ideas I like the testo 905-T2 but some improvements would be nice,
    backlit display
    battery door with a screw
    possibility to take a measurement and hold then bump the display like a list so you can take multiple reading sorta like a old fashioned calculator.
    Since it is a hand held device you can use smaller numbers and get it closer to read.
    HTH
    “If You Can Dodge A Wrench You Can Dodge A Ball”

Post Likes
    see superclamp thread

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by kamikaze126 View Post
    see superclamp thread
    This is for input for product development and I'd appreciate it if you could post your opinion here to help us develop a better product. Thanks.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by itsiceman View Post
    You need air temps along with pipe temps.
    Russ if your looking for new product ideas I like the testo 905-T2 but some improvements would be nice,
    backlit display
    battery door with a screw
    possibility to take a measurement and hold then bump the display like a list so you can take multiple reading sorta like a old fashioned calculator.
    Since it is a hand held device you can use smaller numbers and get it closer to read.
    HTH
    This is for a much smaller product and what i really want to know if guys take quick measurements before doing any analysis to get an idea of what may be wrong. Sort of a quick check to get his plan of attack for diagnostics.

Post Likes
    If the SPK1 had a pipe clamp on it also, would be great for getting Approach,
    line temps and insertion temps in duct work and Petes Plug applications, etc.

Just not the current clamp design, don't like that one..........GF..

Post Likes
    I use my Fluke 68is IR temp gun for very quick readings. I understand that its not exactely the same as a thermocouple that is wrapped in insulation, but its within a few degrees. This allows me to get a great feel for the system without attaching or hooking up anything.
    Extended dehydration is the key

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by RussellHarju View Post
    This is for a much smaller product and what i really want to know if guys take quick measurements before doing any analysis to get an idea of what may be wrong. Sort of a quick check to get his plan of attack for diagnostics.
    You can't get much smaller than the 905's Russ
    Its a pocket thermometer with three AAA so you never need to change them (another plus)

Post Likes

temp clamp

Hey Russ. I use your clamp ATC2 on my meters and SMAN2. Wish it had 1) better temp resistance than it does. I have broke the ends off many of these when checking -20 degrees, and just melted two when I was checking a discharge line temp.They melt at 250 degrees.The compresssor won't be far behind. 2)Make different sizes. I need one for 1/4" to 5/8" lines about the size of a 5/8" imp tubing cutter. Also a 3/4" to 1 1/8" about the size also of a small tubing cutter. I ran into a situation on a case that none of my clamps would fit and I couldn't get my hands in there to wrap a probe on the 7/8" line.
    Also put some aerogel mix behind the sensor plate to stop the clamp handle from messing up the reading. (Google aerogel- it's awesome). Other tan that I have few opinions.
    Last edited by dextronfleet195; 06-09-2011 at 07:45 PM. Reason: left out number

Post Likes
    Interesting.... Which product and where did you get it Dex? http://www.aerogel.com/products/overview-product.html
    Will it absorb moisture if you get it wet?

Post Likes
    I would like to see wireless k type clamps to use with my NEW SMAN3 so I could take more accurate superheat readings from the outlet of the evaporator coil while I am at the condenser where my gauges are hooked up. Thanks for listening.

Post Likes
    Itsiceman, got the aerogel on ebay, but in native form is too brittle. However, you can get it mixed with fiberglass pad which is possibly stronger but not as good an insulator. Couldn't hurt to try some.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Makinhole View Post
    I would like to see wireless k type clamps to use with my NEW SMAN3 so I could take more accurate superheat readings from the outlet of the evaporator coil while I am at the condenser where my gauges are hooked up. Thanks for listening.
    Later this month we will have a product that can take wireless wetbulb measurements. The part number is the ARH5. What you'll do is hook that up to a wireless transmitter (ET2W) and the transmitter will send the wet bulb temp outside to a receiver (part number EH4W). All of these products will be available later this month so solve this problem. keep your eye out on our website.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by dextronfleet195 View Post
    Hey Russ. I use your clamp ATC2 on my meters and SMAN2. Wish it had 1) better temp resistance than it does. I have broke the ends off many of these when checking -20 degrees, and just melted two when I was checking a discharge line temp.They melt at 250 degrees.The compresssor won't be far behind. 2)Make different sizes. I need one for 1/4" to 5/8" lines about the size of a 5/8" imp tubing cutter. Also a 3/4" to 1 1/8" about the size also of a small tubing cutter. I ran into a situation on a case that none of my clamps would fit and I couldn't get my hands in there to wrap a probe on the 7/8" line.
    Also put some aerogel mix behind the sensor plate to stop the clamp handle from messing up the reading. (Google aerogel- it's awesome). Other tan that I have few opinions.
    Great info dex. Thanks! Do you ever just need a quick pipe temp measurement before you hook up your gauges or do any diagnostics. Maybe just to get an idea of what is the root of the problem?

Post Likes
    Hey Russ, most of the time I do refrigeration work. I'm checking superheat, subcooling and you need pressure as well as temp. I do a lot of air temp checking and lately because of POE oil have to do a fair amount of differential temp checking because of partially plugged driers. Ice makers I basically look at the ice pattern which will tell you half the problem without any meter at all. Now the wireless probe which you can hook up to a sman is what I'm really looking for. Just let it have a 300 foot range- I've already got an Omega wireless that goes 75 foot, and that's not enough to go through walk in boxes and rooftops or store walls also.

Post Likes
    Russell, I work in residential and light commercial. I always hook up my gauges and check superheat and subcool. I use analogs with the srh2 digital psychrometer for pipe temps. I think the srh2 is a great tool but it would be even better with 2 k type plugs and the ability to show both line temps simultaneously. This would also make it so that you could check supply and return temp simultaneously as well. You guys probably already have a dual plug temp meter but I think it should come on the srh2 as well because we always look to carry as few tools as possible if we can help it. I also second a pipe clamp that can fit into smaller spaces. I've seen your new line of clamps have the spring break through the plastic when guys squeeze at the end of the handles. Two out of 6 did this at our shop. On the wireless scale it's not a biggie but with how beefy and tough the scale is I would like to see the plastic handle come with a rubber skin for protection from drops, just like how the srh2 had a rubber outer skin/boot.

Post Likes

beer can cold?

Right? No?

Edna Bay, Alaska Highest concentration of black bears in the US
    Post Likes
    Russell, here's what I would like to know. How fast can you make it read? Could you make something read almost instantly? Non contacts aren't accurate enough for linesets. How about something you just touch briefly to get an accurate reading? I would buy one.

Post Likes
    never really did this, every call i go on i bring gauges and a thermometer. I use the copper sh66a, great meter.
    I dont install leaks, i just fix em

Sig line removed by Admin*

Lets see if this gets removed..............

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in