+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Leak detectors.

Post Likes

Leak detectors.

Would like to get a leak detector, but there seems so many and so different it's confusing.
    I think it will be a good addition to save time.
    Who has a favourite they use all the time?
    Any feedback will be appreciated.

Post Likes
    From what I understand some of the less expensive or older units. Have sensors that degrade over time and have to be replaced. If you use it on a regular basis and replace the sensor at set intervals they should work well.
    For me I expected that mine may sit on a shelf for months at time, so I did not want to guess if the sensor was operating at its peak performance when I needed it.
    The Infrared units don't have this issue. (at least that's what I was told)
    "The only way in which a human being can make some approach to knowing the whole of a subject is by hearing what can be said about it by persons of every variety of opinion and studying all modes in which it it can be looked at by every character of mind.
    No wise man ever acquired his wisdom in any mode but this."
    John Stuart Mill

Post Likes
    If you have the money, I would get the Fieldpiece SLR2. I am personally not a fieldpiece guy but a coworker let me use his on a job and I went and bought one that day. It is extremely sensitive even in the low mode. It takes the frustration out of finding a leak.

Post Likes
    Leak detection was always frustrating until I got a H10-PM.
    http://www.bacharach-inc.com/PDF/Bro...0%20Series.pdf

Post Likes
    Thanks for the replies. These are good items, but looking at something not as expensive.
    Realise you get what you pay for, but mainly looking for something cheaper and accept it will be limited.
    There are several such as Ultra V , IR and having never used one relying on advice on what might be a good buy even though limited.

Post Likes
    Hold up on buying anything. Talk to guys, see what they use. (Another reason to be an RSES member :-).
    Take some time do some web surfing. Those too many choices can get narrowed by some research. What will make you happy won't make others happy.
    Someone has to be the expert on leak detectors. might as well be you :-)

Post Likes
    Totally agree, I never make decisions without my own research but its good to get some pointers at recommended products.

Post Likes

What technology?

Checked more, plus the SLR2 and see they have a new one out, SLR8.
    Be good to have some views on what type is prefered.
    Heated diode seems good.
    Infared seems good but limited.
    UV appears best, but a lot of time and cost to use.
    I'm looking for the best for quick checking or HFC's up to $250

Post Likes
    H10 g it's all I need. Had a d tek and it was junk compared to h 10 look on eBay and try to pick one up. I understand a budget but leak detector is something I would not skimp on.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by cavalieri85 View Post
    H10 g it's all I need. Had a d tek and it was junk compared to h 10 look on eBay and try to pick one up. I understand a budget but leak detector is something I would not skimp on.
    Yes, thanks other people have said the same.
    I have checked the item and it is clearly branded by at least three different company names, but same item.
    It isnt cheap and maybe too much for my needs.
    I still need to research and find out what technology is preferred and some feedback before I decide. At the moment the SLR8 looks good.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Itstony View Post
    Yes, thanks other people have said the same.
    I have checked the item and it is clearly branded by at least three different company names, but same item.
    It isnt cheap and maybe too much for my needs.
    I still need to research and find out what technology is preferred and some feedback before I decide. At the moment the SLR8 looks good.
    What needs? Do you only need to find big leaks? You don't need a electronic detector for that. The first time you are running in circles looking for a leak you cant find you are going to wish you spent a little extra on one detector because more than likely down the road you will buy another model at full price and you may have two that aren't that great. There are too many guys who swear by the H-10 and seem very reliable.
    “If You Can Dodge A Wrench You Can Dodge A Ball”

Post Likes
    Ok so you want something cheap just pick up a tek mate by Inficon.

Post Likes
    Personally, I use a dtek for initial and tight space work and follow up with a corded H-10. It may seem overly excessive to some, but so far (20+ yrs, knock on wood), I have never been "skunked" on a leak.

Post Likes
    OK, I appreciate all the time taken with feedback.
    My gut feeling is always to never skimp unless I get good advise on 'Good value' tools, never to be confused wuth "Cheap".
    I am going to bide my time and try and get a Bacharach H10PM or equivalent.

Post Likes
    Smart move you won't regret it. You will soon be finding leaks for people that don't use the h 10

Post Likes
    Has anyone tried the Leak detectors from AccuTools?
    They might be worth a shot for $115.
    http://www.trutechtools.com/AccuToolsel520

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by eddiegoodfellar View Post
    Has anyone tried the Leak detectors from AccuTools?
    They might be worth a shot for $115.
    http://www.trutechtools.com/AccuToolsel520
    I haven't bought the refrigerant detector, but I have the gas leak detector, and it is fantastic. The refer detector is on my list of tools to buy in the spring.
    Hi, my name is Glenn, and I'm a Toolaholic!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn Harrison View Post
    I haven't bought the refrigerant detector, but I have the gas leak detector, and it is fantastic. The refer detector is on my list of tools to buy in the spring.
    I wanted to get the combustable gas detector but can't get one local and my company helps out with tool purchases through wholesalers. I bought a extech and am happy with it.

I like the bluvac so much I want to support them when i can.

Post Likes

Got the H10

Quote Originally Posted by itsiceman View Post
    What needs? Do you only need to find big leaks? You don't need a electronic detector for that. The first time you are running in circles looking for a leak you cant find you are going to wish you spent a little extra on one detector because more than likely down the road you will buy another model at full price and you may have two that aren't that great. There are too many guys who swear by the H-10 and seem very reliable.

Got one, Jonson RLD-H10 PM.
    Am I correct that the Bacharach and Yoko are the same?
    Look identical and hard to believe they are different, just the branding.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Itstony View Post
    Got one, Jonson RLD-H10 PM.
    Am I correct that the Bacharach and Yoko are the same?
    Look identical and hard to believe they are different, just the branding.
    They all look identical but I did open an H10pm made by Yokogawa and one by Bacharach and to be honest I felt the parts for Bacharach is cheaper. Both works the same and I found many here say the same, same tool just different branding. So how is it going with you so far? I love both H10PM and TIFZX-1 old model as it seems to be built with quality than the new model which seems cheap.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in