Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Any benefit to adding 5-inch media filter when new system is installed?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jtrammel View Post
    They obviously don't know what type of filter you are talking about.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Florida Joy View Post
    I'm not interested in jerry-rigging my filter grille with sheet metal sleeves, as you suggest, or wood blocking, as suggested by 54regcab. I want to use the 5" filters described in the video in my existing 1" filter grille, without modifications, since the cavity is deep enough. Tell me why I shouldn't do that?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=sOJ0dte_z-Y
    I did mine that way to prevent having to use special order media. It was worth the extra work to modify the return grill in order to use low cost off the shelf filters. The cost of having your HVAC installer modify the return (wood or sheetmetal, let your installer decide) will pay for itself with lower cost filter purchases. There may even be a custom return grill that your installer could simply install in place of your 1" model.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by 54regcab View Post
    I did mine that way to prevent having to use special order media. It was worth the extra work to modify the return grill in order to use low cost off the shelf filters. The cost of having your HVAC installer modify the return (wood or sheetmetal, let your installer decide) will pay for itself with lower cost filter purchases. There may even be a custom return grill that your installer could simply install in place of your 1" model.
    Not interested in modifying the return grill.

I've made up my mind, I'm stubborn, and I'll do it my way! If the 5" filter for the 1" grill costs too much, I'll get them wholesale through RE Michel where my son is manager. Thanks anyway!

Post Likes
    Not interested in modifying the return grill.

I've made up my mind, I'm stubborn, and I'll do it my way! If the 5" filter for the 1" grill costs too much, I'll get them wholesale through RE Michel where my son is manager. Thanks anyway!
    Custom orders are expensive even at the wholesale level. Odds are you will get fed up with the custom media and just go back to using 1" filters. But if you want to to it the hard way that's up to you.

Post Likes
    Your son is a manager at R.E. Michels, and he can't recommend a contractor for your HVAC system installation! Or find someone to measure static?! Wow........
    Always here

Post Likes
    Custom orders are expensive even at the wholesale level. Odds are you will get fed up with the custom media and just go back to using 1" filters. But if you want to to it the hard way that's up to you.
    It's not custom order most hvac supply houses have fc40s on the shelf

Post Likes
    There seems to be a lot of HVAC professionals here who don't know what is available to them.

If I am reading Florida Joy's comments properly, his son does not work in the same area that he lives in, so how would he be familiar with local contractors? Besides, Florida Joy seems to already have a contractor he is working with.

I have to agree with Florida Joy's informed decision to go with using the 5" filter grill filters. That is the most rational way to resolve his specific problem without having to reinvent the wheel or do major surgery on what amounts to a rash.
    Training is important!
    Practical Training is a must!

Post Likes
    Uh....maybe he could call the local branch? But yes, you are correct....I did not see that post that states he lives somewhere else. What post number is it?

He's in Orlando, and she's Florida joy, My mistake.
    Always here

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by energy star View Post
    Your son is a manager at R.E. Michels, and he can't recommend a contractor for your HVAC system installation! Or find someone to measure static?! Wow........
    HEY... don't disrespect my son! I haven't discussed any of this with him yet! He lives in another county and is busy with his own problems, wife and 4 kids, 6-day work week, etc, etc. I'll talk to him before I make any decisions, but I don't expect him to be involved with the details on a daily basis. Thank you very much!

Post Likes
    Uh....maybe he could call the local branch? But yes, you are correct....I did not see that post that states he lives somewhere else. What post number is it?

He's in Orlando, and she's Florida joy, My mistake.
    RE Michel has no branches in my county. I don't live in Orlando. I'm a she, not a he.

Post Likes
    Always here

Post Likes
    RE Michel has no branches in my county. I don't live in Orlando. I'm a she (yes, I said, "she's in Florida"), not a he (He's in Orlando and a manager at Michels).

Yes, we got it.
    Always here

Post Likes
    RE Michel has no branches in my county. I don't live in Orlando. I'm a she, not a he.
    Orlando may be what ya'll northerners think of when we say we're from Florida, but there are are still people like me living outside the reaches of the mouse! LOL And we wouldn't have it any other way!

14. Dislikes MBBG disliked this post.
    Post Likes
    did not see that post that states he lives somewhere else. What post number is it?

Post Likes
    Use a cut-to-fit or fiber glass as pre-filter .:. the 5" deep filter will last a couple years.
    Designer Dan __ It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with Some Art. _ _ KEEP IT SIMPLE & SINCERE ___ __ www.mysimplifiedhvac.com ___ __ Define the Building Envelope & Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows & Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

Post Likes
    My mistake on the gender as well. Then again, since my name is Robin, I get mistaken for a female often.
    Training is important!
    Practical Training is a must!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by dan sw fl View Post
    Use a cut-to-fit or fiber glass as pre-filter .:. the 5" deep filter will last a couple years.
    Pre-filter a filter? Wouldn't that be double filtering, which others on this thread have advised against.... you know.... bad idea static pressure-wise?

Or are you just testing to see if I've been listening to all the advice?

Post Likes
    The standard 4" filters are cheap enough that prefiltering to extend their life doesn't make much sense. Not sure how much of a premium the special 5" filters that fit in a 1" rack cost. if they are expensive it might make sense to put a 1" cheapo filter in front of them to catch the big particles. Double filter could cause a static pressure problem if there isn't enough filter area.

Post Likes
    Pre-filter a filter? Wouldn't that be double filtering, which others on this thread have advised against.... you know.... bad idea static pressure-wise?

Or are you just testing to see if I've been listening to all the advice?
    I am not testing -
    _____ You PASS All Tests!

The media (fiber glass or cut-to-fit) I mentioned has Minimal pressure drop (dP).
    + a 5" filter has such a large surface in comparison to 1" filter,
    the total dP for the 5" + fiber-glass would be significantly less than the 1" filter.
    Designer Dan __ It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with Some Art. _ _ KEEP IT SIMPLE & SINCERE ___ __ www.mysimplifiedhvac.com ___ __ Define the Building Envelope & Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows & Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

Post Likes
    1. Not sure how much of a premium the special 5" filters that fit in a 1" rack cost.
    1. Why not?
    ___ If someone is hired to "change a filter", the price of the filter just went to 13X.

2. I would certainly limit thickness to < 3/16".

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in