Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst 123456789101114 ... LastLast

Thread: out of ideas

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by monkeyman#1 View Post
    Lets see..... that is 3 blower motors with a problem and now this motor too.
    Sure would lead me to look a little closer at the power source. This may not be the problem but it sure warrants a closer look.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by monkeyman#1 View Post
    Lets see..... that is 3 blower motors with a problem and now this motor too.
    Sure would lead me to look a little closer at the power source. This may not be the problem but it sure warrants a closer look.
    I did not notice the part about the pool cover motor burning out also. Just confirms what most of us are thinking-power supply.

Post Likes

Quote Originally Posted by Randy S. View Post
    He's talking about a

we knew that, i knew you knew that, i wanted to see what he thought about it!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Airmechanical View Post
    exactly how are you obtaining amp draw?

i bet your adding both leg's together, that's not how it's done!

No, I understand ohm's law. I have measured with two different fluke clamp- ons and an old analog in-line.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Randy S. View Post
    Are the power system voltages to ground correct and closely balanced?
    Any difference between neutral and ground?
    Usually a system that loses its ground reference and begins to float doesn't burn up motors, though. You'd usually see funny arcing conduit joints and reports of people getting shocked. Or maybe dimming lights and that kind of stuff.

Some kind of intermittent loss of connection at a lug, a breaker stab, a loose busbar?
    No neutral in unit. This has been an ongoing issue with consistent readings.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltaT View Post
    Again, is this the unit? If so, the name place for the single phase unit states 8.9 FLA amps. And is there only one blower motor? Typically, with a system this size there are two blower motors..one for return air and the other for supply air. And they typically are power fed from the same contactor.
    "The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers it can bribe the public with the public's own money.
    - Alexis de Toqueville, 1835

Post Likes

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by CumulusMech View Post
    If it is possible , it would be very interesting to see the performance characteristics of the motor or motors at your local motor repair shop . Provide them with all the information you have , and let them test the motors on the bench . If everything checks out , ie. not drawing FLA with NO LOAD , then you will be getting warmer to the solution . Worst case scenario , they should be able to provide you with more information as to what your problem is and maybe provide some testing equipment to help you . If the cant they will know someone who can .

Peace
    Well said, thanks.

Post Likes
    Again, is this the unit? If so, the name place for the single phase unit states 8.9 FLA amps. And is there only one blower motor? Typically, with a system this size there are two blower motors..one for return air and the other for supply air. And they typically are power fed from the same contactor.
    Sorry for the delayed response. No, mine is an HD96, not HO96. It has the geothermal heat pump option which adds that capability as well as dropping the air cooled condenser and utilizing the geo-thermal loop for heat rejection. Is also R-22 and an older model.

Post Likes
    Customer called in an electrician to check for power problems. None found, but he works for the installing contractor. Maybe that altered his opinion.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by fruecrue View Post
    Sorry for the delayed response. No, mine is an HD96, not HO96. It has the geothermal heat pump option which adds that capability as well as dropping the air cooled condenser and utilizing the geo-thermal loop for heat rejection. Is also R-22 and an older model.
    Thanks. Can't find any factory info on that unit. I need to see it's configuration to understand it better.

What's the unit label call for on the FLA of that motor?
    "The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers it can bribe the public with the public's own money.
    - Alexis de Toqueville, 1835

Post Likes
    Thanks. Can't find any factory info on that unit. I need to see it's configuration to understand it better.

What's the unit label call for on the FLA of that motor?
    I'd assume the same as the motor nameplate, but can't recall.

Post Likes
    are the moon and stars aligned? what day of the week is it when tested? do your socks match?

no, these questions do not make any more sense than some of the others posted here.

STOP! take a step back and think about football, hawaii, naked chicks...naked chicks playing football in hawaii, whatever takes your mind off of this problem. reapproach the problem as if it were the first time with optimism...i know where you are coming from with the frustration.

key point that has been made...amp draw and voltage do not change with APPARENT load...perhaps you have misaligned (cocked) bearings creating a large load. on some motors, you can loosen the end bell through-bolts, LIGHTLY tap on the shaft with a hammer and this would realign the bearings. that is a tip i learned from a motor manufacturer.

key point that has been made...several motors exhibit the same problem. this indicates a site issue (like power quality, high ambient temps, etc.) and not a motor problem. this point and the one above are mutually exclusive...one says the motor is the problem and one says the site is the problem.

find a new motor (different than the motor supplied by the manufacturer) and test it off-site. this solves both problems. then reinstall and see how it reacts.

my money...all 2 cents worth...are on "high ambient temps ruining the bearings". so, are the motors ok when first installed? i do not remember if you mentioned that.

mmmmmmmm...naked chicks playing football in hawaii...
    "Right" is not the same as "Wise".

Don't step on my favorite part of the Constitution just to point out your favorite part.

Just because you can measure it, doesn't mean it is important. Just because you can't measure it, doesn't mean it isn't important.

Post Likes
    I remember a teacher telling me how kept getting bad motors once;turned out it was how the clerk was taking the motor out of the box-kept slightly dropping it on the shaft or something. He finely figured it out after several motors. I don't know why they were taking it out of the box at the supply house. His story.
    Last edited by tipsrfine; 12-26-2009 at 09:14 PM. Reason: Removed link

Post Likes

Quote Originally Posted by fruecrue View Post
    Customer called in an electrician to check for power problems. None found, but he works for the installing contractor. Maybe that altered his opinion.
    you did not check for yourself?

if i had a problem with a motor, and the customer had to call in an electrician

not to be a wisea$$, but i would start studying

and i realize you are coming here asking questions which is a good start

Post Likes
    you did not check for yourself?

if i had a problem with a motor, and the customer had to call in an electrician

not to be a wisea$$, but i would start studying

and i realize you are coming here asking questions which is a good start

I have no need to study, this is the second post you have made that has been rather insulting and off base. If you take the time to read the whole post, you'll see that I have covered all aspects of troubleshooting thoroughly. I have no shame in the customer calling in an electrician to double check the power supply. As I mentioned earlier ther is about 300,000 dollars in low voltage lighting equipment in the house that I am smart enough and modest enough to say I know very little about. I did not take offense to the electrician coming to check things out, I thought it was an excellent idea.

I have studied electricity in many forms for many years. I have graduated an HVC/R trade school with a 4.0 gpa, completed the UA apprenticeship, top of the class, won the UA's international apprenticeship competition 1st place in the HVAC/R trade, and have had over ten years in the field and many more before that in electrical and solid state training. If I do say so myself, not bad for 28 years old.

Sorry to ramble or sound conceded but,if by now you can't judge competency of a fellow poster, maybe you should read twice and analyze the content of the written conversation before reverting to condescending responses. Again, read back and you'll see I have measured and posted all relevant electrical data.

Post Likes
    You might find it's best to just a thicker skin with some of these guys. Airmechnical, jpsmith and some others can get testy sometimes, but then again they've been on here longer and I think they just get fed up with some of dumbbunny's that show up now and again. They are often the first ones to show up with some good advice when you need it, so my advice is save the anger for some of the real smartass's here. You will know em when you see em.

Post Likes
    By the way Frue, what is your next course of action?

Post Likes
    what would YOU suggest if it did?

I would have the power company retap the transformer ground properly. A lot of smaller towns have had this problem. Most have it against codes now, but always good to check.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by tipsrfine View Post
    You might find it's best to just a thicker skin with some of these guys. Airmechnical, jpsmith and some others can get testy sometimes, but then again they've been on here longer and I think they just get fed up with some of dumbbunny's that show up now and again. They are often the first ones to show up with some good advice when you need it, so my advice is save the anger for some of the real smartass's here. You will know em when you see em.
    Thank you, very sound advice. There was no anger involved, frustration.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by tipsrfine View Post
    By the way Frue, what is your next course of action?
    At the moment, I can do nothing. The customer refuses any other technician that my company offers, and I am booked solid for the forseeable future. He has offered to pay the O.T. rates for me to come by off hours, so that's probably what I'll do. Ball's in his court, I recommended that he have the motors bench tested at a local electric repair shop. He will probably ask his electrician to do this because I am not available during normal hours. I'm ok with that.

Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst 123456789101114 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in