Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: G71P, Infinity 96 or Trane XV95 - Unbiased Opinion

Post Likes

G71P, Infinity 96 or Trane XV95 - Unbiased Opinion

I would appreciate a bit of professional unbiased guidance.

I've had 3 dealers in my area all quote 3 brands, all dealers seem pretty good, straight forward. All have quoted pretty much top of line equipment except one, and thats the Trane dealer.

The issue is I have 2 zoned systems in my house. I like the Trane dealer, he's been very attentive, didn't charge to come out and do some in depth inspection of exhanger/coil/etc. He readily states that Trane’s newest most efficient system using the PURON does not operate well with the TRANE zoning. From what I understand, it does not talk well with the heat pump and as a result they are quoting all Honeywell zone and thermostat components.

The Carrier system is just about all Carrier except the TrueSteam Humidifiers. Same with Lennox.

Both the Carrier and Lennox dealers have been hard to get a hold of - in other words I'm chasing them for answers/quotes, etc. But both companies have a good reputation for their respective operations/maintenance.

Carrier is about $2500 cheaper, Lennox highest, Trane is in the middle (but he’s the good guy from an initial "get the sale" standpoint. I’m looking between $33K-$40K total of 2 systems complete, ERV, FILTERS, etc.

I'm all hung up on "not the latest technology/efficient/zoning". Am I worrying too much, should I go for the so-called more advanced Carrier or Lennox over Trane?

Here’s what’s been quoted:

TRANE XL15i Heat pumps Puron
    TRANE XV95 2 stage, Variable speed gas furnaces
    TRANE Clean Effects Air Cleaners
    Honeywell steam Humidifiers
    Honeywell Zone control systems for both systems (removed the comfort controllers for additional savings)
    Honeywell ERV for fresh air
    10 year parts and labor on TRANE Equipment and air cleaner
    5 year parts warranty on all Honeywell controls
    Stainless drain pan for upstairs closet to include floor drain inside pan (will need to return for measurements)
    Overflow safety switches for upstairs unit to shut off equipment in case of drain backup

Thanks if you made it through my long post.

Post Likes
    Carrier's Infinity zoning will blow away what Honeywell can do with the Lennox or Trane. The 432 panel is nice and would be great with the XV95 staging based on zones calling so you don't end up with high fire trying to force all that air through 1 zone. Last I knew the Lennox would not stage down once it ramped up so that could be a problem even with a good staging panel.

Never seen Trane zoning but he could be referring to Trane's panel not handling dual fuel like the TZ432.

Post Likes
    it is hard to get a unbiased opinion on this board but i like the trane set up

Post Likes
    I'm not a fan of trane but all 3 bids based on equipment are solid. That doesn't matter though, poorly installed and they'll all suck. You want to go with the company you trust to do the best installation, final fire-off, and continuos service from here on out. When your dealing with top-tier equipment, zoning, HP's, ERV's all together, it's a complicated system that needs to be setup correctly or you'll hate it. Just my $0.02

Post Likes
    Got a question for you.

If you have to chase the Carrier and Lennox guy for answers before you buy a system from them.
    How do you think they will do with service after they have your money?

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    Post Likes
    Infinity zoning and control is tops.Is there another Carrier Dealer to call?

Post Likes
    These all are good systems and equipment. The dealer is everything on a nice system like this. The dealer will make or break a top of the line system. You might ask for a reference from a previous customer who has had a top of the line system for more than a year.
    Last edited by ChuckHVAC; 01-18-2009 at 11:19 AM.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    Got a question for you.

If you have to chase the Carrier and Lennox guy for answers before you buy a system from them.
    How do you think they will do with service after they have your money?
    Well - having been in a business myself for over 27 years (not HVAC), I think there is always a big difference between a sales guy selling and the "other" departments performance. Sometimes they all work together, but many times not.

All 3 of these dealers are all very well respected in the community. The Carrier dealer especially is very large and covers lots of area. They also coincidently sell Trane, but don't want to offer it due to not being as well integrated or efficent. I didn't contact them for Trane. I picked all these dealers due to their top tier status with each company they represent.

So as I stated, my only hang-up has been the lack of integration and effecency with Trane.

My hang up with Carrier also goes a little towards the furnaces I have now being bad prematurley, but as someone else stated her, I'm learning there's alot having to do with install, and my current systems were not installed very well.

I now know better what to look for - I hope!

Post Likes

Confused Is Trane out due to lack of technology

It seems like looking through these forums that most the votes go to Carrier, then Trane - but I don't see too many Lennox proponents - Are they out of the game these days?

Is Trane out due to lack of technology?

Does the 1 or 2 higher SEER really matter?

The response seem more tailored to "go with thebest install". But suppose all the installs were on equal footing. In my area, all the companies have good reputations for installs.

Post Likes
    Now you're getting to an area where you will probably get lots of different opinions, here's mine: In high end systems, based on comfort performance, I vote Carrier #1, Lennox #2, Trane and some others tied for 3rd. But they are all great systems. In my opinion, in the real world, the difference between 15 SEER and 16 SEER doesn't mean much, or even 16 to 18. Now, TXV vs fixed orifice, PSC blower motor vs ECM, or ECM inducer vs shaded pole, those things do matter.

Post Likes
    Carrier!! I think has better controls and the equipment is nice also.I am a fan of 2 stage equipment and since they "kind of help each other out "you will never really fire FULL BLAST
    It's NOT the BRAND,it's the company that installs it!!!!!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by JscottJ123 View Post
    It seems like looking through these forums that most the votes go to Carrier, then Trane - but I don't see too many Lennox proponents - Are they out of the game these days?

My local Home Depot is a Lennox proponenet.
    They just switched from Trane to Lennox (here in central NJ).

They replaced the Trane displayAC condenser with a Lennox one, however they left the XV95 furnace in place and just placed a Lennox sticker on it.

This Home Depot kept the same installation company.....They just switched brands.

Attached is a pic of the old Trane display.

Key1

Post Likes
    Call a Bryant dealer. Bryant is the same as Carrier and you might get a better dealer. Bryant has all the bells and whistle also. Their top of the line is "Evolution" series

Post Likes
    Go for the Carrier, the infinity is awesome, you will be very well pleased. The problem about Carrier furnaces was in the 90's and has since been rectified.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by caincompany View Post
    Go for the Carrier, the infinity is awesome, you will be very well pleased. The problem about Carrier furnaces was in the 90's and has since been rectified.
    hey that is a nice truck you got there. GO Bryant not amana

Post Likes
    hehe, thanks. I put in 2 Bryant heat pump systems in the last 2 days. Both homeowners are just ecstatic with how well the equipment works. Amana is a nice second line to have, good warranties and the distributor here is good.
    We installed a packaged unit with the Evolution/Infinity control on it just recently and the home owners loves it.

Post Likes
    hehe, thanks. I put in 2 Bryant heat pump systems in the last 2 days. Both homeowners are just ecstatic with how well the equipment works. Amana is a nice second line to have, good warranties and the distributor here is good.
    We installed a packaged unit with the Evolution/Infinity control on it just recently and the home owners loves it.
    Thoes Evolution/Infinity package units are very pricey.

Post Likes
    Do you have acess to the Payne line of products they are a good line of cheap equipment

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by key1cc View Post
    My local Home Depot is a Lennox proponenet.
    They just switched from Trane to Lennox (here in central NJ).

They replaced the Trane displayAC condenser with a Lennox one, however they left the XV95 furnace in place and just placed a Lennox sticker on it.

This Home Depot kept the same installation company.....They just switched brands.

Attached is a pic of the old Trane display.

Key1
    I can't say much about this, but you can still buy Trane from Home Depot in central/north Jersey, as well Bryant and Lennox. Lennox gave free empty condensers for displays, but not furnaces. So the easiest solution was just put Lennox stickers on the Tranes.

The reason for the switch was purely political because of the Trane distributor in this part of the state.

Post Likes
    I am not running a Zone setup but on my newest furnace went with a Lennox g71mpp and so far it's been a great furnace. I see you posted the specs of the trane system, why not post what you were quoted by the others so the guys can give you better advice.

Also not sure what happens when you ask for zoning in your quote but I had two Lennox quotes and one Trane and the price difference between lowest and highest was less than a thousand.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in