Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Ductwork with R8 insulation better for attic?

Post Likes
    It looks like it can be repaired with some solder, hate that happened. A very good vacuum will need to be pulled. I don't see anywhere that the copper tubing that holds the refrigerant is punctured but if you heard hissing and it won't run then it probably is

Post Likes
    It's hard to see the crack on the tubing. The hissing got pretty loud when the unit was running. I shut the system off right away and it came back on a few minutes later, but only the blower in the furnace, not the unit outside. You have to look very closely at the hole. Thanks for the input.

Post Likes
    I doubt we'll need a new unit, but just in case we do, we might consider a higher seer unit since we have a variable speed furnace. Insurance might pay for a whole new unit, but it will have to be the same we have now. I'm HOPING it can be repaired.

Post Likes
    Update... Contractor just left... and unfortunately, by the looks of the damage, we need a whole new condenser. We were quoted on the exact same unit (Goodman SSX14024) and we were also quoted on a Lennox 14ACX 2 ton unit. I won't list pricing since it is not allowed here, but I will say price is the same for both units. He said the evaporator coil (Goodman CAPF03636A6) will work if we went with either. Will that be OK? The indoor coil was installed a year ago along with the current A/C. What's your opinion on these quotes? I might ask him about ductwork with R8 insulation.

Post Likes
    I called the contractor back and asked him about the XC14 instead. We officially decided on this unit. This contractor was very professional and did not try to oversell us at all. We trusted him and we have used him in the past.

Post Likes
    If your outdoor unit is accessible from the street, I would consider getting it behind a tall fence (but not too close to the unit!) to discourage a repeat vandal attack.
    Psychrometrics: the very foundation of HVAC. A comfort troubleshooter's best friend.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Shophound View Post
    If your outdoor unit is accessible from the street, I would consider getting it behind a tall fence (but not too close to the unit!) to discourage a repeat vandal attack.
    Thanks for the information. We are considering building a fence to help protect both units, and maybe install a camera as well to watch both units. We'll probably keep the fence about 3 feet away from the units.

Post Likes
    This is the Ask Our Pro's forum. In order to post a response here, you must have verified qualifications and have been approved by the AOP Committee. You may ask a question by starting a new thread.

You can find the rules for posting and qualifications here.

Additional infractions may result in loss of posting privileges.
    Last edited by jpsmith1cm; 05-01-2013 at 05:49 AM. Reason: Non AOP Pro Member

Post Likes
    This is the Ask Our Pro's forum. In order to post a response here, you must have verified qualifications and have been approved by the AOP Committee. You may ask a question by starting a new thread.

You can find the rules for posting and qualifications here.

Additional infractions may result in loss of posting privileges.
    Last edited by jpsmith1cm; 05-01-2013 at 05:50 AM. Reason: Non AOP Pro Member

Post Likes
    We had the new Lennox XC14 installed and couldn't be happier. What I did notice is that the system blows colder air now, and is keeping the upstairs at a very comfortable temperature. Thanks for all of the input. I appreciate it guys!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in