Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Best Gas Furnace Brand

Post Likes
    Originally posted by kpt_krunch
    the most important appliance we have is our furnace
    And sad to say "most people don't realize this".

Post Likes
    Hello experts,

I read with interest the various replies. One reply about the two stage heating and how it is not that important caught my attention because I thought about the matter before. If you want to heat a room to a certain degree, with 2 stage you do it slowly, but it takes longer. With one stage it is faster but also you heated in a shorter time. So in my logic, the only difference is that the temperature swing is larger in a single stage heat unit (ALso louder), but I doubt you save much on either gas or electric bill. To save on that, a high efficient unit is needed which will cost more. But again all high end units of any brand are 2 stage so there must be a good engineering reason to use that.

I also agree that the installer is the most important factor, but hey look everything is like that (Same argument about everything like car gas is gas whether Texaco or 711 and they charge more for their advertizement). In my opinion, which many other experts might not agree, brand names have better quality control. Again thanks for the feedback. Any other feedback on the subject is welcomed.

Mike

Post Likes
    As of October/November Goodman will have 8 furnace models rated at 95% efficient. Just an FYI.
    Training is important!
    Practical Training is a must!

Post Likes
    The XV80 and the G60V are both great furnaces. The controls for both are virtually identacle, both from the same supplier, just with minor differences in the programing and dip switches.
    I personally think the XV80 has better fit and finish, and has a slightly better seal around the blower access door, wich is an issue with a unit installed in the attic.
    We are exclusivly a Trane dealer though, so I may be a tad biased.

As others have pointed out though, the quality of the installation is far more important than the actual equipment used.

I have yet to hear a 2 stage furnace with, a varriable speed blower, from any manufacturer that wasn't virtually silent in 1st stage heat when it is set up properly.

Post Likes

Arrow

Originally posted by docholiday
    Actually, If you are looking for the quietest 80, look at the Rheem RGPN. It's the quietest 80+ on the market.

http://www.rheemac.com/superquiet80/

...audio samples from nine different brands of furnaces.

[Edited by L•K on 09-17-2005 at 04:55 PM]

Post Likes
    Granted there is no way to really hear how a system sounds over the internet. But... and here is my pitch...

The NEWS (HVAC trade publication) selected at random 1500 contractors to choose the best products on the market. The super quiet 80 topped the list (the infinity came in third). Awarded the inovation award from comfortech in 2004. Dont take my word for it.

Post Likes
    Looks like they put the 80% furnace in a condensing furnace cabinet. 69-74 db is only really going to matter if the furnace is near a living area. I could have used them in a few homes where I had to put the furnace in a hall closet.
    Training is important!

Post Likes
    I'll make any furnace the quietest one (Almost any furnace).
    A pro at work.

Post Likes
    Any of the ones you mentioned would be ok just stay away from
    the junk like tappan,westinghouse,frigidaire intertherm
    goodman etc.

Post Likes
    No one has said it yet, but in the climate of Dallas and the prospect of nat gas prices going thruthe roof in the next few yers (not to mention now), yu likely have AC - why not consider a heat pump? Would bet yu money you will be $$$ ahead within 4 years.

Post Likes
    Originally posted by rosc
    goodman etc.
    Where do you idiots come from? Just what in particular do you have against any of these products? Be specific...if you know enough about furnaces to specific that is.
    Training is important!

Post Likes
    About the heat pump, that's a good suggestion, however the winter here in Dallas gets very cold sometimes even though it is not that long. So the heating capability of a heat pump might not be adequate to heat a large house.

Just an update, I got 4 bids from Trane, Lennox, Carrier and Frigidair. Trane is the most expensive, and the Frigidair is the least expensive (For a 5 ton system). I am leaning torward the Carrier bid since it appears to be the most value between cost and Brand name (No offence to any other Brand lover!) since this topic (Brand picking) seems to be controversial.

Mike

Post Likes

Talking brand basher

Dear RoBoTeq
    I'm not brand bashing there just a low end frunace.There ok

for a per-fab house or if you need to save some cash, You can

look at them and see that, There BRAND X you could say!

Now don't you feel bad for calling me names!

Post Likes
    what criteria are you using when you say these are low end furnaces? what furnaces do you install?

Post Likes
    Originally posted by joeoilman
    take a look at tappan,westinghouse,frigidaire. whichever is available in your area. i think you'll like them. http://www.nordyne.com
    NNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! Cheap noisy inducers, loud noisy burners!!! Never will I install either one of them!!!

Wonder what they bought?? TRANE??

Post Likes

Re: brand basher

Dear RoBoTeq
    I'm not brand bashing there just a low end frunace.There ok
    The term "junk" is a bashing term. If you don't know any better, well, you should have just learned.
    for a per-fab house or if you need to save some cash, You can look at them and see that, There BRAND X you could say!
    Don't know what a "per-fab" house is, but I see a lot of those "name" brand furnaces you mentioned in some pretty high end homes.
    Now don't you feel bad for calling me names!
    You haven't been here long, have you?
    Training is important!

Post Likes

[Edited by l•k on 09-27-2005 at 11:35 PM]

Post Likes
    Your right I'm sorry the truth is its GREAT equipment.
    one brand is as good as any.

Post Likes
    goodman etc.
    ahhh hardly any posts. I see we have a new loserrrr, I mean rookie. Guess his first name would be TROLL

Post Likes
    Your right I'm sorry the truth is its GREAT equipment.
    one brand is as good as any.
    Now, now dec...rosc has come around quite quickly to the dark side
    Training is important!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in