+ Reply to Thread

Thread: help finding plumbing torch tip

Post Likes

help finding plumbing torch tip

I'm looking for an acetelyne tip (not oxy-acetelyne, just acetelyne) that looks similar to a horse shoe. It has two tips and is meant for soldering large diameter pipe 1" or greater for boiler work. It works on the premise that you can heat both sides of the pipe. It came on a maroon handle and I think the company was subco. It's oldschool. Does this sound familiar to anyone? Anyone know where I can find this? I tried looking online but no luck
    "Continuous effort - not strength or intelligence - is the key to unlocking our potential"

Winston Churchill

Post Likes
    I have seen them but it was years ago. Prestolite I believe they were made by.

Post Likes
    ive seen them somewhere online. they probably also have them at johnstone or your local gas supplier. ill give google a shot real quick and see if i cant figure out where it was.
    HVAC PRO IN THE MAKING
    i-Vu, CCN
    NATE's:
    Gas Heat Service/ Installation
    Air-to-Air Heat Pump Service/ Installation
    Air Conditioning Service/ Installation

Post Likes

torch

Tie Strap,
    I have a lot of that old stuff hanging around my shop at the house....will try to see if I have any of those style heads for them. The tips are available for oxy/acetylene, but I assume you don't want that. Kevin

Post Likes
    Yea, the name was Prestolite (among others).

Post Likes
    Or have you tried Ebay or Craigslist?

Post Likes
    Uniweld, I foung this in the United Refrigeration Inc Catalog

Twin Flexible, Uniweld
    Catalog pricing shown. Please log in to see your pricing.
    View catalog page 1107

Quantity Part No. Description Price

S28 Twin Flexible Acetylene Tip $ 84.72

Post Likes
    Havent seen any of those for a long while. Might be able to get one ordered from your local supplier.

I have an "EZ Hook" which I use for baseboard radiation, have had it over 30 years. I dont think it will do 1". These tips have not been made for over 20 years, so I need to keep an eye on the plumbers that see it. They all want one.
    I'll be there when I get there and not a minute later

Post Likes
    Uniweld has Cap'n Hook tips on thier web site. Hook shaped not horseshoe but I believe it is close to what you are looking for. http://uniweld.com/catalog/tips/spec...phook_tips.htm
    ccnova

Post Likes
    uniweld makes them

MAPP gas?? i haven't soldered pipe that big, but have MAPP'd 7/8's plumming hard pipe
    If Guns Kill People, Do Pencils Misspell Words?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=An2a1...eature=related

Before we work on artificial intelligence why don't we do something about natural stupidity?

Post Likes
    thanks for all the help guys but I believe the prest-o-lite is the the one. the uniweld one looks pretty cool too for brazing
    "Continuous effort - not strength or intelligence - is the key to unlocking our potential"

Winston Churchill

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Tie Strap View Post
    I'm looking for an acetelyne tip (not oxy-acetelyne, just acetelyne) that looks similar to a horse shoe. It has two tips and is meant for soldering large diameter pipe 1" or greater for boiler work. It works on the premise that you can heat both sides of the pipe. It came on a maroon handle and I think the company was subco. It's oldschool. Does this sound familiar to anyone? Anyone know where I can find this? I tried looking online but no luck
    I've got one...it's old. A fellow trustee at my Church, was in his 70's asked me to help him install a new water heater. He had that torch in his basement and it was really cool. He was dying of leukemia and told me it would be mine, and sadly it is now. He was a great guy, pipe fitter in Chicago and then became a mechanical engineer. The torch is really cool. I had a hell of a time getting used to it though, because I usually pull the torch away to control heat, but this thing sort of hand cuffs you to the pipe, lol! Anyway he wanted thermometers and gauges and 45 offsets, he was old school and flexible lines were not going t cut it, so we did it his way, long story short I made a lot of joints with it and not a leak, A lot of dripped solder though...like i said It was hard to control the heat. Good old Bill, God bless you man!

Anyway I keep it in the truck but it's not my every day soldering tip. BTW the way this one worked is you squeeze it shut and it's like a circle of six flames. You have to release it to allow it to open to get it back off the pipe. If not for the wet ground, socks on my feet and a lazy ass, I'd go get it and take a pitcure of it. hehehe maybe tomorrow

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in