+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Testo 550 Reliability?

Post Likes

Testo 550 Reliability?

To all the Testo Gurus out there.

How are they holding up under fire.

I was inquiring about a set at a national vendor counter yesterday and was a little supprised at the response from the counter rats.

I was told that they only had one guy to buy those and he has had to replace them several times in six months. It doesn't sound like they want to sell them. They had just as bad of a view on the Yellow Jackets.

Sounds like they are either tired of hearing the "*****ing" or they are just afraid to sell them.

Your feedback is appreciated.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith73 View Post
    They had just as bad of a view on the Yellow Jackets.
    Our Johnstone had some stocked from most of the manufactures but one (Digi-Cool)
    They haven't gotten any 550's for the shelf this year not even an empty spot where they have been sold out from.
    They had a set of the new Yellow Jackets and the sales guy said they were selling a ton which was BS since that same Y/J box sat on the shelf for months.
    They did have a few of the solar gauges and believe this is why they aren't stocking any more "Digital"

There are NO Digital choices at my Johnstone

I wish Johnstone carried Digi-Cool
    “If You Can Dodge A Wrench You Can Dodge A Ball”

Post Likes
    I asked my JS and they said that since the manifold associated with it, Stalker, was a product from another distributor they did not stock it.

they have Testo on display and some on hand and not sure of others as I rarely get within 15 miles of the store due to the area I serve.

I think that like many places, on hand inventory has dropped significantly on high dollar items.

they are willing to order anything they can
    The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing the greatest amount of free meals and stamps EVER.
    Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us to "Please Do Not Feed the Animals". Their stated reason for this policy "... the animals become dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."
    from an excerpt by Paul Jacob in Sun City, AZ

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by pacnw View Post
    I asked my JS and they said that since the manifold associated with it, Stalker, was a product from another distributor they did not stock it.
    And what about the Titan ... which they have on the shelf

They could sell a Digi-Cool with any manifold they carry and it would work

Could be that they aren't going to stock anything these days like you said

Post Likes
    They mentioned cutting inventory to save money and I told them that's a good way to cut sales.
    "Can't sell it if you don't have it"

Post Likes
    The 550 is a rock solid instrument.
    JLB,

Post Likes

Question Testo great instrument, at least for two months

Hi, have to chime in. I have read about the problems with the testo 550. Now I have experienced the problem. Here is the glitch:

The unit is susceptible to static discharge damage. Basically the leads will short something out in the electronics so that it will not show temperatures.

Mine lasted 2 months. The manufacturer is not reengineering the unit, as I have read about this in the past. As of late July 2010, I bought mine.

Everything about the unit looks solid. It just has some defects that make it not work too good unless you wrap it in electonic protective wrap and ground it to the unit you are working on. That's what buying a tool is all about, right? (making things easier??)

Post Likes
    I've had mine for about 6 months and never had a problem at all. A coworker bought his a month ago and encountered his first problem. While running the vac pump the display went to 0 on both sides. Couldn't get it to read anything again so he sent them back to testo because they wanted to see the problem. Promised he'd get them back in a few days.

I think like anything else that's a new model, first time out in the field, they will have issues. I like the format, the back light and the functionality of the unit. JMHO
    I'm not tolerating Political Correctness anymore, from now on it's tell it like it is.

Veto Pro Pak - The best tool bag you'll ever own

Post Likes
    Thanks Jim, I was hoping to hear more positive input from the other guys in the field before I plunk down the cash.

As with most purchases, I do my homework before buying. This would be my first "RSA" and I do like what I see.

Post Likes
    Thanks Jim, I was hoping to hear more positive input from the other guys in the field before I plunk down the cash.

As with most purchases, I do my homework before buying. This would be my first "RSA" and I do like what I see.
    Not sure if you saw them but
    I was waiting for a little better deal on a refurbished 550 at truetechtools before I pick one up. Might knock you off the fence though if you haven't seen them there yet.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ChaseAir View Post
    unless you wrap it in electonic protective wrap
    WTH is that?

Post Likes
    I've had my 550's about a month with no issues.
    They did come with a ground wire you are supposed to clip to the manifold and then to a ground source on the piece of equipment.

Post Likes
    Yes, I noticed those. It looks like a good deal. I'm still wavering between the Digicools and Testo. The 550 is obviously cheaper but the 1250 will work on my 4 valve. The Testo 4 valve are way out of my budget. then again I don't know if I will completely eliminate the need for a standard 2 valve.

Post Likes
    I noticed that the new ones came with the ground clamp.

I'm glad to hear your success with them.

It's too easy to hear the negative comments and too hard to get people to post the good ones.

Post Likes
    Yes, I noticed those. It looks like a good deal. I'm still wavering between the Digicools and Testo. The 550 is obviously cheaper but the 1250 will work on my 4 valve. The Testo 4 valve are way out of my budget. then again I don't know if I will completely eliminate the need for a standard 2 valve.
    You would not be disappointed with a Digi-cool.

Why would you need a 2 valve if you already have a 4 valve? I used a 4 valve for a year or so until I decided that it was a POS, and only pulled the 2 valves out of the truck to get at something that was behind them.

Post Likes

Buy the Digicools.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jpsmith1cm View Post

Why would you need a 2 valve if you already have a 4 valve? I used a 4 valve for a year or so until I decided that it was a POS, and only pulled the 2 valves out of the truck to get at something that was behind them.
    At present I only use the 4 valve for system repairs.

Post Likes
    I have used my testos all late spring and summer and now into fall of this year and I have had NO issuses with mine,, like the showing of superheat and subcooling at same time and the blacklighted screen is good.. like the heatpump option for not having to swicth your hoses around-- maybe I got lucky or whatever but I have had No issuses... I would recommend them

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jpsmith1cm View Post

My 1250 is mounted on a two valve and if I'm evacuating I'll use two core removers with the DC hooked to the high low sides and refer tank and then two 3/8 hoses direct to my pump off the thru ports of the core removers. Be willing to bet it's quicker evacuating than just about any 4 valve out there.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by itsiceman View Post
    My 1250 is mounted on a two valve and if I'm evacuating I'll use two core removers with the DC hooked to the high low sides and refer tank and then two 3/8 hoses direct to my pump off the thru ports of the core removers. Be willing to bet it's quicker evacuating than just about any 4 valve out there.
    I am building an evacuation manifold for myself this weekend.

3/8" hoses with 1/4" adapters on one end.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 12345678 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in