Thread: Freon Tubing Solder Job Concerns

Post Likes

Hmm Freon Tubing Solder Job Concerns

Hello,

I live in an apartment complex in Plant City, FL and the Air Handler was recently replaced.
    After I got home, I inspected the work, as I often feel like I have to do.

First think I noticed was that the smaller tubing now prevents the filter being changed, not the biggest deal, but it made me look closer.
    After further inspection I noticed that the larger tubing for the Freon, on the new Air Handler, was bent to make it fit with the old copper pipe and then filled with a bunch of solder.

My questions are:
    1) Is this common practice?
    2) Is this safe?
    3) Is there any Florida Building Codes that this violates? (If this is not safe, I need something to show the office or they will never fix it.)

Below I have linked some photos from my Dropbox. If there are any problems viewing them let me know.

I have worked with soldering copper pipe for plumbing so this concerned me. I'm not trying to bring up a beef with my apartment complex, but I am concerned about my families safety.

I appreciate the help and advice.

Post Likes
    They replaced the airhandler? Looks like they got it from the scrap yard.

I don't think id worry about the solder. Not worth getting people aggravated over.

What a complete mess.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by SBKold View Post
    They replaced the airhandler? Looks like they got it from the scrap yard.

I don't think id worry about the solder. Not worth getting people aggravated over.

What a complete mess.
    They only replaced the inner radiator looking portion. I don't know the exact term. The cooling fins? It's a good sized V-shaped structure.
    They left the outside panels nasty looking. It was way cleaner before the job.

I honestly stayed up most of the night and every little noise worried me. I hear freon poisoning isn't fun.

Post Likes
    that's common practice for apartment complex and other hacks. Instead of putting an extra reducing fitting in there they just pinched it closed. Nothing to worry about as far as safety/health.

Post Likes
    Oh ok that's called the evaporator coil (or indoor coil if its a heat pump) .

I wouldn't worry about the freon itself harming you. I'm still alive

Post Likes
    Good to know.

Thank you all for your knowledge and quick responses.

Post Likes
    I'd whine about that small line being in the way of changing the filter. Any way to bend it around the water shut off for some more clearance?

Post Likes
    on the bottom, what is that 1/2 inch copper pipe with the globe valve going to?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by tlj000 View Post
    Probably the water heater underneath. Common practice around here.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by martyinlincoln View Post
    I'd whine about that small line being in the way of changing the filter. Any way to bend it around the water shut off for some more clearance?
    No, there isn't enough slack in the tubing. If I try to get it around the cold water shut off for the water heater, the small line would break.

That was the first thing I pitched a fit about, in my mind that is.
    Last edited by Dfarina; 12-03-2012 at 07:44 PM. Reason: additions

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by tlj000 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by 54regcab View Post
    Probably the water heater underneath. Common practice around here.
    That is correct. It is the cold water shut-off valve for the water heater.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Dfarina View Post

That was the first thing I pitched a fit about, in my mind that is.
    And rightfully so. Do u own apt or just rent? Are you supposed to change filter or does a guy come around?

Post Likes
    If you can get the wheel off of the water valve, you might be able to bend the small refrigerant pipe around it. That is probably something I would tell your management to take care of. If the line does break, so what, let them fix it. A refrigerant leak would have to be huge (much larger than the few pounds that is in your system) for you to notice any ill effects from it. I wouldn't worry about it. Also tell them to re-insulate the bigger refrigerant pipe while they're there, otherwise water will leak from it during cooling mode.

By the way, that technically isn't solder. It's Sil-Phos brazing alloy. Even though it is ugly, it's a strong joint.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by SBKold View Post
    And rightfully so. Do u own apt or just rent? Are you supposed to change filter or does a guy come around?
    I rent the apartment. We are responsible for changing the filters.

Quote Originally Posted by ammoniadog View Post
    If you can get the wheel off of the water valve, you might be able to bend the small refrigerant pipe around it. That is probably something I would tell your management to take care of. If the line does break, so what, let them fix it. A refrigerant leak would have to be huge (much larger than the few pounds that is in your system) for you to notice any ill effects from it. I wouldn't worry about it. Also tell them to re-insulate the bigger refrigerant pipe while they're there, otherwise water will leak from it during cooling mode.
    I'll recommend that to them. I'll probable have to re-insulate the large refrigerant pipe myself. My apartment complex seems to have a policy of, if something isn't completely broken we won't fix it. I have been in this apartment for 4 months and it took them 3 months to replace the evaporator coil. Nothing like 3 months of burning up on hot days and freezing on cold days/nights.

Good to know that there isn't enough refrigerant to notice any ill effects.

By the way, that technically isn't solder. It's Sil-Phos brazing alloy. Even though it is ugly, it's a strong joint.
    Got ya. I guess that's why I leave the HVAC work to the professionals.

Post Likes

Safe.

Safe yes, ugly you bet! All to common sad to say but true. Many years ago doing apt maint i did the same not proud of it just didnt know any better.

Post Likes
    This is the Ask Our Pro's forum. In order to post a response here, you must have verified qualifications and have been approved by the AOP Committee. You may ask a question by starting a new thread.

You can find the rules for posting and qualifications here.

Additional infractions may result in loss of posting privileges.
    Last edited by jpsmith1cm; 12-05-2012 at 08:11 PM. Reason: non AOP Member
    Solutions Heating and Air, Inc. Jacksonville, Florida "Solutions for All Your HVAC Needs"

Post Likes
    and, don't worry about the filter changing difficulties... the filter is not sealed, or even close to sealing, so most air is going around it anyway...
    the reason the line is pinched that way, is the coil is designed to have a larger line for flow... only way to do a proper job there would be to tear out the walls and install a new line. what I like most about your new repair is the pinched line is pinched onto a REDUCER... apparently they just cut out the old line, and reused as much copper as they could... I think I'd have removed the elbow, and used a larger radius with a large end closer matching the coil...
    I agree with everyone else, ughly and stupid, but not dangerous.
    The TRUE highest cost system is the system not installed properly...

Find a HVAC-Talk Contractor by clicking here

Click below to BECOME a pro member
    https://hvac-talk.com/vbb/forumdispl...ip-Information

Do you go to a boat repairman with a sinking boat, and tell him to put in a bigger motor when he tells you to fix the holes?

I am yourmrfixit

Post Likes
    Vstech makes a good point about the filter. Maybe try seeing if a 16x20x2 will fit in there instead.

Post Likes
    you lucky you got a new coil im suprised the did not just keep topping it off.or try and fix the old coil as apartment managers are cheapskates

Post Likes
    myott

This is the Ask Our Pro's forum. In order to post a response here, you must have verified qualifications and have been approved by the AOP Committee. You may ask a question by starting a new thread.

You can find the rules for posting and qualifications here.

Additional infractions may result in loss of posting privileges.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in