Thread: How does this TXV installation grab you?

Post Likes

How does this TXV installation grab you?

Company #1 installed the HVAC in my new home one year ago. Had lots of problems so went with Company #2 for service. Company #2 traced a cooling problem to an issue with the TXV. Before tearing into the unit the prognosis was a) sensing bulb lost charge or b) debris in valve. Plan was to replace valve.

What did he find? a) debris in valve, b) sensing bulb line very kinked and last but not least.........c) equalizer line cap still installed.

Here is a photo of the valve with the cap on.

As a home owner, what should I expect from Company #1?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Leaky Waders View Post
    Company #1 installed the HVAC in my new home one year ago. Had lots of problems so went with Company #2 for service. Company #2 traced a cooling problem to an issue with the TXV. Before tearing into the unit the prognosis was a) sensing bulb lost charge or b) debris in valve. Plan was to replace valve.

What did he find? a) debris in valve, b) sensing bulb line very kinked and last but not least.........c) equalizer line cap still installed.

Here is a photo of the valve with the cap on.

You shouldn't expect anything....

But you could try contacting them. Make sure you have the bd vavle improperly installed, pictures of it, and the invoice from Company 2 stating the problem. Then you may be able to get something out of it.

Most companies would rather calm you down and make you happy than to have their name tarnished. But don't expect a lot. Just contact em and see what happens. Do it tomorrow on Monday morning. Go in to their office and speak with owner if you want.

Let us know how it turns out
    I fully support the military and the War on Terrorism.

If you don't know, then don't do. If you don't know and still do, then be prepared to pay someone else a lot to undo what you did and then do it right.

If you do know, then do. But do it right. Otherwise, you may not be doing it long.

Post Likes
    Most TXV that I have installed have a plastic cap over the external equalizer line, the cap covers the entire flare it would be impossible to leave it on and install the external equalizer line.

What kind of plug is in the tube? From the looks of it, I think most techs probably would not see it while installing it. Though I would hope they could trouble shoot a bad TXV.
    I never let schooling interfere with my education... Mark Twain

Post Likes
    Why didn't you have the installing contractor come out and diagnose and fix there problem?
    Global Warming or: None like it hot
    No pleasure, no rapture, no exquisite sin greater... than central air. -Dogma

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Leaky Waders View Post

Vasoline?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ISOTHERMAL View Post
    Most TXV that I have installed have a plastic cap over the external equalizer line, the cap covers the entire flare it would be impossible to leave it on and install the external equalizer line.

What kind of plug is in the tube? From the looks of it, I think most techs probably would not see it while installing it. Though I would hope they could trouble shoot a bad TXV.

The plug appears to be made of the same material the line is made of. Brass I think, possibly copper.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by green jumper View Post
    Why didn't you have the installing contractor come out and diagnose and fix there problem?
    I lost confidence in the installer a long time ago. It is a long story that began with him installing a unit that was too large for the house. He had no idea what a Manual J or D were.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by iraqveteran View Post
    You shouldn't expect anything....

But you could try contacting them. Make sure you have the bd vavle improperly installed, pictures of it, and the invoice from Company 2 stating the problem. Then you may be able to get something out of it.

Most companies would rather calm you down and make you happy than to have their name tarnished. But don't expect a lot. Just contact em and see what happens. Do it tomorrow on Monday morning. Go in to their office and speak with owner if you want.

Let us know how it turns out
    Here is how it turned out.

I spoke with the installer today. He denies installing the valve with the cap in place but he has no alternative explanation. He agreed to refund me the $506.00 that I paid for the replacement of the valve, a filter drier and the labor.

Post Likes
    Congradulations.

Life is good!
    Use the biggest hammer you like, pounding a square peg into a round hole does not equal a proper fit.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in