Thread: Dehumidifier and Humidifier combo?

Post Likes

Question Dehumidifier and Humidifier combo?

Hello,

I live in Missouri and have weather swings from 100 + with very high humidity to 0 with very dry air.

We live in a 2000 sq ft house built in 2006 with zoned heating and cooling. We have builders grade two 2 ton 13 seer units with 80% efficiency furnaces both single stage. (we have a basement with only one duct, but plan to finish it. Probably add 800 more sq ft.) I just installed fantech 230cf remote blowers on all baths that vent out of the house. It was probably overkill, but I wanted the steam out asap!

We are currently considering the purchase of a whole house dehumidifier and humidifier to cover both extremes. I am also interested in a thermostat that can control humidity (for both dehumidifier and humidifier) and temps.

Is it a good idea to have both since we only have single stage ac and heat? Last spring and summer we had a lot of humidity in the house even when the units ran. And this winter the house has been so dry and we have all hardwood floors. Also, what products do you recommend? I was thinking of going with Aprilaire dehumid and humid, but was considering a steam humidifier. I am also pondering adding and ERV to this system as well (hope that doesn't change any advice)

Any other thoughs or suggestions would be outstanding.

Post Likes
    You'll find out while your looking around that there's not much to choose from most are the same with a different brand name stamped on them.. The humidistat will probably need to be mounted separately from the thermostat but will cycle inconjuction.
    "Rock-n-Roll " Ain't noise pollution..

Post Likes
    The a/c units should take care of the humidity unless they're grossly oversized or the house is leaky. (if ductwork is in the attic, make sure that the return ducts aren't pulling in hot humid air) Excessive air leakage can also cause low humidity in the winter; sometimes humidification is needed, however every option should be considered.

Reducing the blower speed in cooling mode can improve dehumidification.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by timsmsu View Post
    Hello,

We are currently considering the purchase of a whole house dehumidifier and humidifier to cover both extremes. I am also interested in a thermostat that can control humidity (for both dehumidifier and humidifier) and temps.

Is it a good idea to have both since we only have single stage ac and heat? Last spring and summer we had a lot of humidity in the house even when the units ran. And this winter the house has been so dry and we have all hardwood floors. Also, what products do you recommend? I was thinking of going with Aprilaire dehumid and humid, but was considering a steam humidifier. I am also pondering adding and ERV to this system as well (hope that doesn't change any advice)

Any other thoughts or suggestions would be outstanding.
    If your house is humid in the summer, and dry in the winter.
    You already have plenty of fresh air coming into your house. And don't need an ERV to bring in anymore.

Post Likes
    Hello,

I live in Missouri and have weather swings from 100 + with very high humidity to 0 with very dry air.

We live in a 2000 sq ft house built in 2006 with zoned heating and cooling. We have builders grade two 2 ton 13 seer units with 80% efficiency furnaces both single stage. (we have a basement with only one duct, but plan to finish it. Probably add 800 more sq ft.) I just installed fantech 230cf remote blowers on all baths that vent out of the house. It was probably overkill, but I wanted the steam out asap!

Any other thoughs or suggestions would be outstanding.
    Best to only add equipment you need. This keeps things simple. Moisture dripping from windows during cold weather indicates the need for significant amounts of supplemental fresh air. Also 80% furnaces, bath fans, kitchen exhaust hoods, the water heater, and the clothes drier need significant amounts of outside air to function. Some whole house ventilating dehumidifiers provide adequate fresh make-up air for the exhaust appliance year around while controlling the summer humidity from adequate summer fresh air ventilation. This will also keep the windows dry. Many of our posters do not believe that you need provide fresh air to purge indoor pollutants during the humid times of the year. Pollutant tests demonstrates that homes need a fresh air change every 5-6 hours when the windows are closed and the home is occupied. Homes have much less natural fresh air infiltration during warm weather. Therefore, healthy homes need more mechanical fresh air during warm weather with closed windows. Fresh air ventilation during cool damp weather reqires supplemental dehumidification, sorry.
    Humidifiers are needed only if the home is sparky dry during cold weather. Therefore having a humidifier and a HRV is usely a waste and has no real payback. Investigate the whole house ventilating dehus like Ultra-Aire, Honeywell, Rheem/Rudd, Goodman & etc. for year around filtered fresh, make-up air and humidity control. Some brands are better than others.
    Regards TB
    Last edited by teddy bear; 01-27-2010 at 11:45 AM.
    Bear Rules: Keep our home <50% RH summer, controls mites/mold and very comfortable.
    Provide 60-100 cfm of fresh air when occupied to purge indoor pollutants and keep window dry during cold weather. T-stat setup/setback +8 hrs. saves energy
    Use +Merv 10 air filter. -Don't forget the "Golden Rule"

Post Likes
    Thank you for the nice message. It is interesting that you picked up on something i didn't mention. We have 3 230cf fantech bath exhaust fans and 1 900 cfm kitchen hood. We also have a fireplace on the same floor that has an open flue. people keep saying that I need makeup air. Would a dehumidifier with fresh air exhaust satisfy this requirement? (I know our windows sweat during the winter just at the bottom) is that an indicator of something?

Post Likes
    Thank you for the nice message. It is interesting that you picked up on something i didn't mention. We have 3 230cf fantech bath exhaust fans and 1 900 cfm kitchen hood. We also have a fireplace on the same floor that has an open flue. people keep saying that I need makeup air. Would a dehumidifier with fresh air exhaust satisfy this requirement? (I know our windows sweat during the winter just at the bottom) is that an indicator of something?
    A home with windows that only sweat a little at the bottom only only need a little more fresh air. The idea moisture level is sweat/frost that does not dirp on the sill.
    Nothing but an open window provide enough make-up air for a 900 cfm hood. The whole house ventilating dehu can provide a 100 cfm of make-up air on demand. This is ok for clothes drier bath fans. The dehu is ideal fresh air for warmer weather when the windows are close and the home is occupied. 75-100 cfm is ideal. The dehu will maintain <50%RH when a/c is not removing enough moisture. I work for Ultra-Aire and suggest the Ultra-Aire 90H instead of the Aprilaire. UA is better suited for fresh air filtering and control. Regards TB
    Bear Rules: Keep our home <50% RH summer, controls mites/mold and very comfortable.
    Provide 60-100 cfm of fresh air when occupied to purge indoor pollutants and keep window dry during cold weather. T-stat setup/setback +8 hrs. saves energy
    Use +Merv 10 air filter. -Don't forget the "Golden Rule"

Post Likes
    Sounds like your house is too leaky.

Products for humid and dehumid can help but you have to make sure the duct system is tight too. If you are introducing dry/humid air into the house via the duct system its going to be counter productive of what you are trying to accomplish.

The amount of air you are removing from the house is quite substantial too. I dont think adding more stuff to make up for your "overkill" is a solution do you?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in