+ Reply to Thread

Thread: miss match cooler

Post Likes

miss match cooler

Hi everyone well im back in the field full time and on my first refrigeration disaster.
    So a walk-in cooler im working on with a Bohn, m#ADT052AJ R22 txv I looked up the M# seems to me its a 5200btu, evap coil. Well someone installed a used Heatcraft condensing unit M#MOH005D72C a 134a 5970-7790 BTU cant match m# due to age of equipment. OEM compressor m#ART82C1-CAV-02 which i cant find data for anywhere yet. So im thinking swap out txv and i should be ok. any help would be great.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by rcac101 View Post
    Hi everyone well im back in the field full time and on my first refrigeration disaster.
    So a walk-in cooler im working on with a Bohn, m#ADT052AJ R22 txv I looked up the M# seems to me its a 5200btu, evap coil. Well someone installed a used Heatcraft condensing unit M#MOH005D72C a 134a 5970-7790 BTU cant match m# due to age of equipment. OEM compressor m#ART82C1-CAV-02 which i cant find data for anywhere yet. So im thinking swap out txv and i should be ok. any help would be great.
    This is a tricky one.

Your ART82C1-CAV is a 5,000 Btuh compressor at 25F/110F designed for R22. You are correct in stating the coil is a 5,200 Btuh evap at 25F SST.

At first glance it appears your coil is fairly closely matched with the compressor, although I like to see the compressor having slightly more capacity than the coil's load.

Here's the tricky part. If you truly have an R134A condensing unit with an R22 compressor installed on it......I would be very concerned about the condenser being sized properly.

Honestly, I'm not sharp enough on the engineering side of things to offer much assistance with even attempting to calculate whether or not the condensing unit itself will work with your desired application. Maybe someone like icemeister or Powell can help you there.

Whatever you do, I would NOT put a 134A TXV on it.
    "The problem is the average person isn’t tuned in to lifelong learning, or going to seminars and so forth. If the information is not on television, and it’s not in the movies they watch, and it’s not in the few books that they buy, they don’t get it" - Jack Canfield

Post Likes
    I didn't try to run any of the numbers you had, but I would double check the part about the R134a. That is a really uncommon refrigerant for a walk in cooler. Usually 134a is only used on the small stuff. If the condensing unit/compressor is really designed for R12, I would find a different replacement refrigerant to run in it. R134a is a pretty crappy refrigerant. I wouldn't use it unless the system was actually designed for it.

As for your TXV, as long as you size it to the condensing unit capacity (and of course match it to your refrigerant) you should be ok.

Was this thing trying to run when you found it?

Post Likes
    That the Bohn condensing unit model number indicates R134A is irrelevant now because the compressor is rated for R22. The evaporator is rated at 5200 Btuh at a 10°F TD, so for a 35°F box, it would match up fine with a compressor with a capacity of 5000 Btuh at 25°F SST. (TD = Box Temp - Evap Temp)

So far, all looks OK... so what sort of problems are you having with this system?

(I'm assuming there's R22 in this system. )

Post Likes
    Franken-cooler has the wrong txv? I love how most of the numbers on txvs are never legible when you need it.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by icemeister View Post
    That the Bohn condensing unit model number indicates R134A is irrelevant now because the compressor is rated for R22. The evaporator is rated at 5200 Btuh at a 10°F TD, so for a 35°F box, it would match up fine with a compressor with a capacity of 5000 Btuh at 25°F SST. (TD = Box Temp - Evap Temp)

So far, all looks OK... so what sort of problems are you having with this system?

(I'm assuming there's R22 in this system. )
    So Btu's are Btu's and as long as the condensing unit (condenser) is sized for 5,000 Btuh, then it's all good.....is that what you're saying?
    "The problem is the average person isn’t tuned in to lifelong learning, or going to seminars and so forth. If the information is not on television, and it’s not in the movies they watch, and it’s not in the few books that they buy, they don’t get it" - Jack Canfield

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by markettech View Post
    So Btu's are Btu's and as long as the condensing unit (condenser) is sized for 5,000 Btuh, then it's all good.....is that what you're saying?
    Essentially, yes. The evaporator doesn't care what refrigerant you use. It only depends on the temperature difference or TD. Same goes for the condenser. It'll do the same job with R22 as it did with R134A.

The truly important factors here are the compressor and the TXV.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by icemeister View Post
    Essentially, yes. The evaporator doesn't care what refrigerant you use. It only depends on the temperature difference or TD. Same goes for the condenser. It'll do the same job with R22 as it did with R134A.

The truly important factors here are the compressor and the TXV.
    Makes perfect sense now that you've explained it. Thanks.

Post Likes
    Thanks for all your help some how this had a 134a sticker on it well I was able to cross -ref the comp and its a match. Oh the system was a block of ice as i thawed it i noticed the green txv and recalled the 134a sticker. Im the 3rd guy on this and i bet its got the wrong gas in it

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by rcac101 View Post
    Thanks for all your help some how this had a 134a sticker on it well I was able to cross -ref the comp and its a match. Oh the system was a block of ice as i thawed it i noticed the green txv and recalled the 134a sticker. Im the 3rd guy on this and i bet its got the wrong gas in it
    I don't know that I would fault anyone for putting 134 in something that was marked as such. If it is indeed 22, whoever changed it should bear the shame. I paint the heads of my compressors and have our sign shop make me labels just for that reason.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ryan1088 View Post
    I don't know that I would fault anyone for putting 134 in something that was marked as such. If it is indeed 22, whoever changed it should bear the shame. I paint the heads of my compressors and have our sign shop make me labels just for that reason.

Yep, nothing more frustrating than having to basically re-engineer a system before being able to service it.

Post Likes
    So the local crackhead used to to b a refer man ....bar owner wanted cheep labor i guess he got it... im done with Cooler... beer is at35 deg f...will not be defeated!!

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in