+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Flat screen tv's

Post Likes

Flat screen tv's

Looking to get a new flat screen. I know there are plasma and LCD. What are the pro's and con's? I heard something about one is repairable and the other isn't. Any opinions or good/bad stories? Is there any real value in spending more for the top brands? Thanks for any insight.
    "The trouble with the world is the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent full of doubt" -Bertrand Russell

Post Likes
    my litle knowledge is that LCD's are more reliable and are *repairable* whereas alot of my friends have had pixel problems with the plasma's.

a little better picture quality with the plasma, but the newer LCD's aren't far behind if not better now.

pay attention to the black color shades when buying one. a lower quality TV (LCD) will have trouble producing dark shades or black. cheaper one usually and up making a dark grey color and the pic looks weird.
    If Guns Kill People, Do Pencils Misspell Words?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=An2a1...eature=related

Before we work on artificial intelligence why don't we do something about natural stupidity?

Post Likes
    I know a lot hate walmart but if your in the market for a flat screen I just heard on the news the other day that Walmart is coming out with a real special on them that no one is going to be able to compete with.

Not sure what brand it was but from what the news station said was that it was about the best rated tv brand on the market and that no one else out there was going to be able to comptete against it if they were looking for that sizes of flat screens.

Just a though that I would mention if that helps ya

Post Likes
    my understanding is that plasmas are only better if there is no light on them, meaning in a basement with no windows. Samsung or Sony is best. I think its 720 or 1080 pixels is something to be concerned of. If bigger than 40" then go with 1080 under that size the difference is minimal. If going with either you need high deff. otherwise a picture tube is still best other than physical size. Did you check how many high deff. channels you could get with your cable/ Sat. I think I get about 15 channels high deff. outa 200.
    I reject your reality and substitute my own.

Post Likes
    I have a 42" Panasonic Plasma, the Viera series. The picture is wonderful, but Plasma screens are sensitive to burn in. If one watches Fox News often, that icon at the lower left will become a permanent part of the screen. As I understand things, the Sony 'Bravera' (?) series is so close, it is a wash... and the Sony is an LCD. If you will watch it close (less than about 8 ft away, get the 1080P resolution... avoids the 'window screen' appearance.
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Your comfort, Your way, Everyday!

GA's basic rules of home heating and AC upgrades:
    *Installation is more important than the brand of equipment
    *The duct system keeps the house comfortable; the equipment only heats and cools (and dehumidifies)
    *The value of comfort, over the long term; leave economic choices behind!
    Choose your contractor wisely!

Post Likes
    I got a 40" sony bravia 1080 which I think is great. Im typing on it right now another bonus of these things you can hook your comp. onto it.
    I reject your reality and substitute my own.

Post Likes
    Sony Wega here.....

60 inches of pure joy....
    I need a new signature.....

Post Likes
    I have a 48" Philips, LCD. Nice picture. I won't pay the extra ten bucks a month for the HD signal, (what a rip).
    "Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."
    -Abraham Lincoln

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by whec720 View Post
    I have a 48" Philips, LCD. Nice picture. I won't pay the extra ten bucks a month for the HD signal, (what a rip).
    Hook up an antenna if you are anywhere near the TV station broadcasts, youll get your local channels in HD for free

Post Likes
    DLP.... with my eyesight, works fine....bulb is around 300 now.....Samsung 50"
    Life goes on long after the thrill of living is gone.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Swampfox View Post
    Hook up an antenna if you are anywhere near the TV station broadcasts, youll get your local channels in HD for free
    Cool...I did not know that.

The thing is, when shopping for a flat, they make it sound like the HD just comes with it. It should.......greedy SOBs.
    "Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."
    -Abraham Lincoln

Post Likes
    Rev is correct with lighting issues.

LCD you can change the bulb and the pic is back to new

As you use the LCD, the pic will fade in color even though the bulb is rated for 10,000 hours.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by whec720 View Post
    Cool...I did not know that.

The thing is, when shopping for a flat, they make it sound like the HD just comes with it. It should.......greedy SOBs.
    You can even make one yourself, there are several tutorials on Youtube

here is mine lol

It works like a charm, you just need a decent place to hide it

Post Likes
    unless you are a serious nut with movies, games, etc ,you may not be able to tell the difference. I looked at the various models in stores, and found out they use some bright mode to make them look more appealing in stores. Theree are many publications out there that do reviews side by side and tell you all of the boring details of flat screens....superheat, subcooling, etc, but in reality they are so vastly superior than your regular tube, any one would be an improvement. According to one magazine, the Vizio's are made the best, and assembled here in the states, as opposed to the rest which are assembled elsewhere. While that is not a true made in usa deal, it caught my eye. I bought the fifty incher plasma, and it is amazing. While waiting for Fios to get installed, I too used rabbit ears and picked up high def local broadcasts.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by beachtech View Post
    my litle knowledge is that LCD's are more reliable and are *repairable* whereas alot of my friends have had pixel problems with the plasma's.
    Plasmas can get burn-in (not repairable), LCD's can lose pixels and are not repairable, DLP's get dimmer and all you have to do is change light source.
    In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm, and three or more is a congress. John Adams

The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary. H. L. Mencken

"Life's tough......It's even tougher if you're stupid."
    -John Wayne

Post Likes

Thumbs up

I like that idea. That would work for football games. Thanks for the tip, time to check out youtube.
    -Abraham Lincoln

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Swampfox View Post
    You can even make one yourself, there are several tutorials on Youtube

here is mine lol

It works like a charm, you just need a decent place to hide it

Hmmmmmmmnn.....

Still looks like hackery to me...
    I need a new signature.....

Post Likes
    We have a Samsung, and upgraded our DirecTV to HD, $10 well spent for HD!

We got ours from http://www.secondact.com/

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by sline-dawg View Post
    DLP.... with my eyesight, works fine....bulb is around 300 now.....Samsung 50"
    DLP bulb from Samsung should be 150 bucks.... I just bought one for my HL-S6188. Piece of cake to change.

Post Likes
    Hey Mayguy did direct give you free equipment for that t.v. upgrade and dvr?

I am ready to upgrade to HD, I ran my wires under ground last year in PVC

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in