+ Reply to Thread

Thread: vulcan salamander

Post Likes

vulcan salamander

hello, a vulcan salamander only 6 months old. infered burner, standing pilot. no m# yet. the pilot is lit, when you turn the main burner valve on-nothing. if you try a propane torch to light it, it will light after a couple seconds, the flame rolls from one end to the other about 3 inches high, and then goes out. whenever it does ignite, it just rolls around a few seconds and goes out.

propane. 11"wc tested at manifold. pilot burning fine. want to remove infered burner and clean. any other idieas? very busy kitchen, so i'll need to be quick. its over a huge flattop. any tricks to remove burner quicker?

In a kitchen with my head stuck in an oven
    Post Likes
    If that restaurant DOESN'T serve breakfast, I recommend returning first thing in the morning when they won't be using that griddle. Otherwise...afterhours or R-E-A-L-L-Y early in the morning.

There is a make of a salamander out there (which I've worked on at a Cheesecake Factory) on which the top panel pops right off the salamander & the IR burner lifts right out of the top. However, that's NOT Vulcan's design. On the Vulcan, I THINK you disassemble from the front & everything comes out that way. I've never done one, so I'm not certain.

Your're right about cleaning it. Given it's location above the flattop, I've no doubt the IR burner's air inlet has clogged with greasy goo & you'll probably need to clean the orifice as well.

Post Likes
    Remember infrared burners are very sensitive to air flow and air/fuel ratio. Please don't physically clean the face of the burner though, I had a location do that after an ansul discharge. Trashed the ceramics.

Flame dancing around, not settling in should be fine after getting orifice/primary air throat/burner assembly blown out/cleaned.

Amazing little burners when they are running right.

Good luck.

Post Likes
    Ya I figured to blow out with air. Would hot soapy water soak be ok?

Post Likes
    I carry co2. Compressed air would work the same. NOT canned air, not enough blowing force. I've never tried washing them. I would not personally try that. Maybe someone else on here knows how that would turn out. I don't figure it would be good. Blowing out will probably take care of your issues.

In a kitchen with my head stuck in an oven
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by kklobas View Post
    Would hot soapy water soak be ok?
    As fragile as IR burners are, I wouldn't try it. Those type of burners tend to be expensive to replace - especially from Vulcan.
    I've never tried blowing them out, but never saw a need to either. If you decide to do so, blow in from the face of the burner, then use a shopvac to draw out the debris through the inlet.
    FYI - there are dispersion panels built into the burner. Air/gas mix has some travelling to do before getting to the porous tiles. Besides, if you think about it, the burner opens up past the flute, which would result in a pressure drop. Therefore I expect that you'll find most of your blockage right there at the opening near the orifice.

Post Likes
    oriffice was totally plugged. blew out burner with compressed air also. working great now.
    fyi on vulcan's- burner and orifice can be removed out the front after taking cooking rack out. much easier than from sides/top

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in