+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Employee rate vs. Hourly rate of contractor ?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by albowrx View Post
    I wouldn't doubt it! Most of the companies north are owned mostly by Jews, which is not a bad thing at all but at $13 for a service tech I cringed! Residential or commercial? Sounds more like a residential company than anything.
    We are residential/ light commercial company. My boss keeps telling me what a great asset I am and what a bright future I have with the company. He did just lay 3 guys off so I guess I should be glad to be working but after i pay taxes and health insurance I'm lucky to take home $300 a week!!!!!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by nairb25 View Post
    We are residential/ light commercial company.
    In that case, is the $170 per hour rate you quoted the company flat rate labor rate, or an invoiced labor rate?

$170 for one tech, or a tech and helper?

Another question comes to mind with the union, non-union discussion.

Which one is REALLY cheaper? The non-union shop who sends ONE guy out who can take care of piping, wiring, and sheetmetal work on the same job....or the union shop that has to send out three different guys for the same job....even though the hourly rate per man is lower?
    Technical incompetence is NOT a sales tool....

Post Likes
    We are residential/ light commercial company. My boss keeps telling me what a great asset I am and what a bright future I have with the company. He did just lay 3 guys off so I guess I should be glad to be working but after i pay taxes and health insurance I'm lucky to take home $300 a week!!!!!
    He's laying them off because he has you to do the job for a lot less. Look for a job elsewhere. Things are slow now, but it might be also a good time to walk into places and introduce yourself to the owners.
    Minds are like parachutes. They only function when they are open.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by John Markl View Post
    In that case, is the $170 per hour rate you quoted the company flat rate labor rate, or an invoiced labor rate?

Which one is REALLY cheaper? The non-union shop who sends ONE guy out who can take care of piping, wiring, and sheetmetal work on the same job....or the union shop that has to send out three different guys for the same job....even though the hourly rate per man is lower?
    Sadly it's $170 per hour for each man on the job, $150 per hour thereafter. If there is a tech and one helper, it's $340 for that first hour. It's a flat labor rate. BTW I just let my service manager know that I am taking the NATE exams in June and he said "good luck"! Thanks alot!

Post Likes
    He's laying them off because he has you to do the job for a lot less. Look for a job elsewhere. Things are slow now, but it might be also a good time to walk into places and introduce yourself to the owners.
    As soon as I get my NATE certifications in June and get to use my 1 week of vacation I will finally earn, I'm gone. I am interested to see what kind of pay raise they will offer me at the 1 year mark.

Post Likes
    I wouldn't doubt it! Most of the companies north are owned mostly by Jews, which is not a bad thing at all but at $13 for a service tech I cringed! Residential or commercial? Sounds more like a residential company than anything.
    I don't see many HVAC service companies with dreidels and menorahs on the side of the van advertising that they are jewish owned, but christians have no problem exploiting their religious symbolism in the name of making a few bucks and making some old folks feel warm and fuzzy inside. It's the so-called christian businesses you have to watch out for. They all proudly proclaim that they're christian owned/run/whatever, but it's just a marketing gimmick.
    Don't pick the fly crap out of the pepper.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Tech Rob View Post
    They all proudly proclaim that they're christian owned/run/whatever, but it's just a marketing gimmick.
    I had never heard of this, especially around our area. The only way I know, due to me working for at least 3 Jewish owners and a lot more I know through word of mouth. If someone gets fooled by that cross they might advertise, than let them be the fools but I'm also an atheist.

Post Likes

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Dad View Post
    Hey guys... this is not ARP.
    Good point.

Post Likes
    BTW I just let my service manager know that I am taking the NATE exams in June and he said "good luck"! Thanks alot!
    What'd you expect, for him to cup your @#$%& and tell you how great you are? I hope you said thanks, lol

I took the UA star several years ago. When I told my supervisor that I passed, he shook my hand, but looked at me with a "WTF?" expression. He said "Good for you. No one cares. Get back to work"

My apologies to Dad for de-railing the topic into ARP land.

Post Likes
    He said "Good for you. No one cares. Get back to work"
    No way

Post Likes
    He absolutely did. And he's one of the most straight up, cool, and all-around best supervisors I have ever worked for. I still talk to the guy frequently, even though we haven't worked together in several years. Everybody that worked at that company at that time had relationships of mutual respect and trust.

Post Likes
    What'd you expect, for him to cup your @#$%& and tell you how great you are? I hope you said thanks, lol

I took the UA star several years ago. When I told my supervisor that I passed, he shook my hand, but looked at me with a "WTF?" expression. He said "Good for you. No one cares. Get back to work"

My apologies to Dad for de-railing the topic into ARP land.
    When I told him that I was taking the exams I was kinda trying to see if they would be willing to pay for them, I certainly don't care about a pat on the back, they dont put food on the table. I think an hvac employer should at least pay for some training or certifications.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by John Markl View Post

Not so much any more. The unions are in competition with each other. Those days are over. It is acceptable to do both piping and sheet metal, and then run some wire. I hold several licences that would let me do it all.
    I STARTED WITH NOTHING, AND I STILL HAVE MOST OF IT!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in