Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What Would You Do?

Post Likes

What Would You Do?

I live in the city of Toronto. My neighbor rececently told me he plans on putting an AC unit in the laneway between our homes which sit exactly 8ft apart (we each have our driveways on the other side of our homes) . We both live in brick bungalows and each have a couple of smaller windows on the walls which face each other. The propery line is right down the middle but no fence currently exists between our homes in this laneway. Also, his furnace/heat exchanger is on the opposite side of this home.

#1 - I'm assuming that this is a bad idea from his standpoint in terms of being a poor location for a properly ventilated unit.
    #2 - I'm also assuming that this would be noisy for both of us as we each have windows facing the laneway
    #3 - Based on the property line, his side of the laneway is 4ft wide. Generally speaking, are there some sort of setback provisions in most cities for an ac install?
    #4 - Would a reputable ac installer go ahead with this install if there were any by-law issues involved? Is a permit generally required for an ac install?

This guy is a brand new neighbor and I don't want to p*ss him off so what should I do about this situation? I want everyone to walk away happy but if push comes to shove (and the law is on my side) I'll do what I have to do to ensure that this thing doesn't get installed in the laneway. If I'm offbase with my concerns please let me know.

Many thanks everyone.
    Quick reply to this message Reply  

Post Likes
    That would be a common install around here.
    The newer units are not loud. (although loud is a perspective thing)
    Check teh local codes for your area, call the city, ask for code division.

Post Likes
    noise wont be a big concern. No permit need for ac installation. 4 feet is enough for an ac. But if this is the common path to the backyard, then this would be an issue.

Post Likes
    if its a new install and not just a replacement he's probably gonna need a permit at least for the electric work

Post Likes
    Thanks everyone for the great replies.

Yes, this is a shared walkway to our backyards and yes this is a brand new install.

What if I wanted to put up a fence in this laneway (unlikely of course but for arguements sake)...I would think that the a/c unit would have to be at least a couple of feet from the fence (property line).

I just don't understand why this guy wants to put his a/c unit in the laneway, when his furnace is on the other side of the house and he has his entire driveway to work with (no carport or garage either...just open space and not close at all to his other neighbor).

I guess I'll have to look into our local building codes but I can see this getting ugly.

Post Likes
    Putting it near the driveway is the worst place. He's smart for not doing that.
    If you want to put up a fence no problem.

Only way I see this getting ugly, is you just not liking the unit sitting on the side of his house thats toward you. Its on his property.
    Get a permit and put up a fence. Then you don't have to see it.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    Putting it near the driveway is the worst place. He's smart for not doing that.
    Why is the driveway the worst place?

Post Likes
    Risk of it being hit by a car. Gets dirty faster. Snow gets piled on top of it when shoveling snow off drive, damaging fins, bending fan guards, and or fan blades.

Post Likes
    Thanks for the reply...some comments though:

Risk of it being hit by a car.
    No risk there...his wife doesn't drive

Gets dirty faster. Snow gets piled on top of it when shoveling snow off drive, damaging fins, bending fan guards, and or fan blades.
    I place a hard surface over my unit and then place a fitted cover over everything in the offseason...never had a probelm.

Anyway, my point is, it's his unit so he should place it in a spot that incurs the least inconveniece to his neighbors (everythings else being equal). If that means his driveway or somewhere more towards the front or rear of his house then he should do so at his inconvenience not mine or anyone elses.

These days people just do whatever is easiest for them and pleases them most and to heck with everyone else.

Hopefully my neighbor and I can discuss the issue rationally and come to a reasonable solution.

Thanks everyone for taking the time to share your comments.

Post Likes
    You have been given some good advice

Call your local building department and ask about permits for new a/c units being installed. Also ask about what kind of setback from the property line is required and then nicely talk to the building inspector about the issue.

Talking to your neighbor in a civil manner would be good also and share your concerns with him. Maybe offer him a beer the next time he is out cutting the grass and approach him then.

Post Likes
    These days people just do whatever is easiest for them and pleases them most and to heck with everyone else.

These days too many people are worried about what their neighbor does, and wants everybody else to conform to their opinion.

Post Likes
    The dirt is from when it being used, not just during the off season.

Post Likes

These days too many people are worried about what their neighbor does, and wants everybody else to conform to their opinion.
    You must be a fine person to have as a neighbor...music at all hours, mowing your lawn at 6:00am, etc, etc.

I'm talking about reasonable accomodation..you're talking about being a jerk.

Post Likes
    The dirt is from when it being used, not just during the off season.
    Frankly our laneway is like a wind tunnel...tons of leaves, loose paper, dirt, etc. etc...far dirtier than his open ended driveway.

Bottom line: you have proven my point: there is no good reason not to put it in/around his driveway.

Thank you.

Post Likes
    The newer condensing units (cooling only) are very quiet, a heat pump will make some noises you may be annoyed by, so I would see a reason to not want one between the houses. But straight cool units will not be an issue, But say a Trane 15i or 16i the footprint of the pad is roughly 3 feet, keep the condenser 12" from the wall, that is 4' if there is any easement for mechanical equipment, he would need your permission to be that close, if not there is not much you can do about it except ask nicely that you would want him to put it somewhere in his backyard instead.
    You can't fix stupid

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by small change View Post
    You have been given some good advice
    Agreed.

Call your local building department and ask about permits for new a/c units being installed. Also ask about what kind of setback from the property line is required and then nicely talk to the building inspector about the issue.
    Absolutely the thing I need to do next. No sense guessing about what our local laws are.

Talking to your neighbor in a civil manner would be good also and share your concerns with him. Maybe offer him a beer the next time he is out cutting the grass and approach him then.
    The guy just moved in last fall and is from Iran (not used to the snow). We had a brutal winter in terms of amount of snowfall so I must have cleared out his driveway and sidewalk at least a dozen times this season with my snowblower (he doesn't have one). I think that qualifies me as a reasonably decent neighbor! I'm certainly not looking to be a bad guy here so I will do all I can to be civil and approach him as such. (fingers crossed).

Thanks for your kind reply

Post Likes
    No, you are the acting like one.
    You came here without talking to your neighbor hoping to find a legal reason to stop him. Without having talked to him. You are the one not being considerate.
    You will look for any excuse or reason that have thing your way.

By your post, you have your mind set against where it is planned to be installed. And are going to be against it no matter what. He may have plans for renovations on teh other side of his house that prevents it from being installed there.
    but you don't want to talk to him about it, you just want a way to stop him.
    And it may be that the only reason he is installing it there is because his contractor suggested it. But your too busy finding ways to stop him to nicely ask him.

Your the kind of neighbor that knows what everyone else is doing.

And my grass is too wet to cut at 6:00 AM. I prefer 10:00 AM.
    And for some reason or other, my neighbors seem to like me when ever they have an electrical or HVAC problem weather I cut my grass the same time they do or not.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by belljam View Post
    Frankly our laneway is like a wind tunnel...tons of leaves, loose paper, dirt, etc. etc...far dirtier than his open ended driveway.

Bottom line: you have proven my point: there is no good reason not to put it in/around his driveway.

Thank you.
    no good reason to put it there, you have proved my point.

I feel sorry for your new neighbor.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by cmajerus View Post
    The newer condensing units (cooling only) are very quiet, a heat pump will make some noises you may be annoyed by, so I would see a reason to not want one between the houses. But straight cool units will not be an issue, But say a Trane 15i or 16i the footprint of the pad is roughly 3 feet, keep the condenser 12" from the wall, that is 4' if there is any easement for mechanical equipment, he would need your permission to be that close, if not there is not much you can do about it except ask nicely that you would want him to put it somewhere in his backyard instead.
    Another great reply!

I believe it will be a cooling only unit so that great news about it being quiet if it ultimately has to be installed in the laneway. I really have to get our local bylaws straight so I know all the facts before I approach him with my suggestions.

Thanks again for your post.

Post Likes
    no good reason to put it there, you have proved my point.

I feel sorry for your new neighbor.
    Please stop responding to my threads/posts. I know you're position. Move along. (man..you must live on this forum.....you know there is life outside of your parent's basement).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in