+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Best C-20 exam course in California?

Post Likes

Best C-20 exam course in California?

After 5 years of working as a hvac/r ref tech for a large fast food chain, the in house facilities maintenance department was downsized and my position was part of the cut. My former supervisor encouraged me to get my C-20 and assured plenty of work thrown my way so, I am looking for the best way to pass the exam by spring startup.

I did okay in college with the HVAC course and have the 608 universal cert. but it's been a while since I have taken a test and would like advice on training for the exam. Are there good self paced online courses? Should I just pony up the 500 buck and take one of the many courses online? Thanks.

2. Likes armandomartinez liked this post.
    Post Likes
    What fast food chain?

I was laid off last year from jack in the box after 16 years in their facilities department.
    I havent heard any other's were downsizing.

The trade part was fairly easy the hardest part was the law. I got the corse from online it was a study book, three or four different practice tests with answers and some CDs to listen to about the law. I studied alot on the law part. I figured i needed more knowledge about that than the trade portion. When I took the test I passed both and dident study a whole lot on the trade. The law was the most difficult.

Post Likes
    Carl's jr. is the chain. I am one of 3 or 4 out of 10 corporate employees that got the ax.

The company was sold last year and will sell again when it goes public in a few years so the whole facilities department is on edge. I have a chance to get my old job back but it would require relocating 300 miles away and with everything up in the air, I decided to go on my own.

Do you recall the online course you took? How are you doing on your own?

Post Likes
    It was actually a home study course. Contractor's License Exam Center.

I was on my own for a while but I have too many bills and there was not enough money coming in fast enough. And I needed insurance.

I'm a tec for El Pollo Loco now.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by rotundra View Post
    Carl's jr. is the chain. I am one of 3 or 4 out of 10 corporate employees that got the ax.

The company was sold last year and will sell again when it goes public in a few years so the whole facilities department is on edge. I have a chance to get my old job back but it would require relocating 300 miles away and with everything up in the air, I decided to go on my own.

Do you recall the online course you took? How are you doing on your own?
    Passing contractor state license is only small part of equation. restaurant is tough business, they don't always send you payment when you send them invoice. Watch your cash flow when on your own. Happy New Year!

Post Likes
    the test isn't difficult at all but the questions are unusual and a few of them make no sense.

every time i came across a question that didn't make sense i made a note of it in the computer.

there are a few questions about oil burners and math questions about 'area' and 'scale sizes'.

any cheap course should get you through both the law and the trade test.

it's important to package your application the way they want it.

if you have a sales permit through the contractor board, even though they have record of you working at a company, you also have to get a reference saying that you were a technician and not just a salesman.

my application took 3 months longer than i expected

Post Likes
    Okay, good advice. I pulled the trigger and ordered a home study course with 2 days of law exam in class.

I know there is alot of failure in self employment for many good reasons, I need to get it out of my system and if after my best efforts no results, ill just go get a job like everyone else.

I will keep you posted

Post Likes

passed

Quote Originally Posted by j_contractor View Post
    Before you can apply for the hvac contractors license you have to have 4 years of experience performing/supervising the hvac work. Education will help, but it is not enough.

If you do have the required experience, I would recommend to go through contractors license school. You do not want to take the contractors license exam without preparation courses because you will fail the exam and will have to pay rescheduling fees.
    I actually took the course and passed april, 2012. The course was about 700 and I studied for a month before. I found the c-38 state test to be easier than the course

Post Likes
    Congrats!! It's not that difficult if you know what your doing. So hows the new business going?

Post Likes
    Its been good. I have a few good accounts that are well cared for and got rid of a few bad ones. I have found it difficult to break into corporations like Jackinthebox, even as a backup facility service for their primary. I guess my business savvy is not aggressive enough but I am okay with slow growth for now.

Overall, its been a good year. I payed cash for a service van and all the tools needed, mostly craigslist/ebay shopping.

I sure do run into a lot of mis-diagnosed work out there.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by rotundra View Post
    After 5 years of working as a hvac/r ref tech for a large fast food chain, the in house facilities maintenance department was downsized and my position was part of the cut. My former supervisor encouraged me to get my C-20 and assured plenty of work thrown my way so, I am looking for the best way to pass the exam by spring startup.

I did okay in college with the HVAC course and have the 608 universal cert. but it's been a while since I have taken a test and would like advice on training for the exam. Are there good self paced online courses? Should I just pony up the 500 buck and take one of the many courses online? Thanks.
    has he given you any work?

Post Likes
    not one bit. I was somewhat disappointed by that but found out that its not the same place. They will have a tech drive over 200 miles just so they don't call outside vendors. I think its a matter of time till a facility company takes over.

Post Likes
    Law side of the test was easy, but the trade side had a bunch of questions that made no sense. I memorized them and wrote them down after the test.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in