+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Sedona controller

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by MatrixTransform View Post
    If you want Lon ...or pretty much any other protocol... pay yer Tridium fees then buy a JACE and add it...maybe a JACE with lon costs $2k
    ...program it COMPLETELY with Firefox or IE
    ...Manage your lon net COMPLETELY with Firefox or IE
    ...deploy them at will
    ...what upgrade??
    ...what license?
    ...I could even teach you how to do it too.
    :-)
    So you can buy a jace. Power it up, open firefox and then connect and program everything from there on out? So you are saying workbench is not required ever?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by scrooloose View Post
    ... So you are saying workbench is not required ever?

SIGH!
    1 + 1 = 3 ( *** for very large values of 1)

...everybody wants a box of chocolates and long stemmed rose

Be brave. You cannot get eaten by an imaginary tiger.

Post Likes
    381 - What did you use for an operator interface on your flat LNS architecture? Just curious.
    Loytec LWEB and also Circon VIsual Integrator.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by 381engineer View Post
    Loytec LWEB and also Circon VIsual Integrator.
    ...all right my turn to bite.
    ...i thought they made routers and gateways and network analyzers

Tell me all about Loytec and it's relative advantages or Tridium

Post Likes
    Tell me all about Loytec and it's relative advantages or Tridium
    I can not speak of advantages of one over the other as I have never touched a Jace but I will share why I chose Loytec.

The biggest thing for me was cost and availability.

I could buy direct from manufacturer or through a distributor
    Free software
    Free Upgrades
    Great Support
    Multiple protocols (have not tried)
    Capacity. 2000 OPC tags (More on the LINX120/121)

Like anything else it takes a bit of getting used too but I got plenty of help from sysint, and the guys in Austria.
    They listened to my input and who knows, may even have implemented some of my suggestions.
    I've just recently started to understand how to use the device on an enterprise application and I don't believe there is a limit on how many devices you could apply.

I have had very little issues getting there products online and communicating. Believe me if anyone could brick a device it would be me and so far I've not managed to trash anything.

They are constantly working to improve things and upgrades are integrated flawlessly.

Something that I found handy for me was being able to work from any PC by downloading the free configurators and emailing myself the config files.
    That has come in very handy lately.

My next project is a DALI lighting project using the L-DALI and half a dozen other manufacturers products. Tridium does have a very nice DALI solution but again I can't get my hands on it.

Loytec does a great job of making technology available to anyone, I'm not saying others don't but I was not able to find them.

Post Likes
    Loytec has free software, free upgrades, no licensing, simultaneous multi open protocol communication and a no single point of failure interface web server design.

Also, the individual controllers with io have download with no reboot and cycle times to 10 ms supporting 320 physical io..... Anyway, that's for starters. Of course there's more.

Post Likes
    SIGH!
    Well? You said you dont need licenses and everything can be done from IE/Firefox. So i am wondering why i have my workbench installed.

Post Likes
    IEC based cloud control is on the way..... IEC 61499 if I remember correctly.

Post Likes
    OK, so maybe there's two then ...Im definitely liking the Loytec big time.

I know one of the agents here in another state (they do Distech too) and am going to look into it more.

Post Likes
    Well? You said you dont need licenses and everything can be done from IE/Firefox. So i am wondering why i have my workbench installed.
    Screwloose, arent you inside Trane...is the Trane camp really trying to do Tridium ... or are they still trying to hang in with Tracer ?

... do try to get into the spirit of things rather than just follow me around the forum to nitpick my posts.

Yeah Workbench... you need it to commission a device if it isnt already, to update a revision, change an IP address...and few other things. But, that wasnt my point was it??? If youre buying a JACE then you already have workbench right?

Besides, in making a comparison to Loytec, it seems one buys a license from them depending on how many devices in a network....the point is that there is ALWAYS some sort of fee, license, purchase, entry requirement. doenst matter if its Loytec, iLon, or Tridium does it?

The big question is...WHAT DO YOU GET FOR YOUR MONEY?
    Screwed over ... or not?

Post Likes
    I read everything in the control section, so dont flatter yourself too much that i'm following you around.

I have been doing tridium for couple years now. I like it a lot better than Tracer Summit. I just enjoy playing the devils advocate with someone as gung-ho about something as you.

Post Likes
    dont flatter yourself too much that i'm following you around.... I just enjoy playing the devils advocate with someone as gung-ho about something as you.
    Devils advocate...LOL ...takes one to know one.

Post Likes
    matrix, what about no licensing do you fail to understand? Loytec actually designs and MANUFACTURES their products. They do not buy a power pc from Taiwan and load some software on it like another vendor that you are familiar with.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by sysint View Post
    matrix, what about no licensing do you fail to understand? ....
    Well, this bit from their product manual actually...

LWEB-801 Server for 5 LOYTEC devices
    LWEB-801-LIC5 Server license for 5 additional LOYTEC devices

and this bit ...

The basic version has a license for two users. Additional licenses for more than two users are available.

and this bit...

LWEB-820 Hierarchical structuring and changing of schedule parameter and calendar, license for 2 users

and this bit ...

LWEB-821 Efficient parameterization of L-INX and L-ROC devices, license for 2 users

...Hmm, are you sure you have a handle all your licensing requirements and costs???

Post Likes
    I feel like I am watching a political debate for presidency.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by XcelTech View Post
    I feel like I am watching a political debate for presidency.
    Same thing here. It's good info-didn't know alot of it. Azzad actually turned me onto EasyIO. They have YouTube videos on their configuration. Looks pretty slick.

Nice EasyIO instructional videos on You tube as follows:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDe62fFaq_c

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLfUAfGoRaU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rkurZxpNG0E
    Last edited by xarralu; 10-06-2010 at 06:45 PM. Reason: Added You Tube Links
    "It's not that I'm smart, it's that I stay with the problem longer”
    Albert Einstein

Post Likes
    XcelTech,

If yer Loytec will deliver and it doesn't screw us or our customers over...then it's in the stable. Simple as that.

Bigboyz better get smart and start selling us controls. or giving tech support. or making themselves available when required....or we will just rip their 'open'-proprietary ie. Bacnet rubbish out and put in Tridium...or Loytec

The customers are starting to wise up... the consultants are already listening.

When LON was released all the consultants jumped on it, then Bacnet came and they're all on it like a seagull on a french-Fry...maybe the next thing will be IEC 61499

The thing will all this OPEN noise is that all the big boyz are on the bandwagon *****ing about licenses and complaining about proprietary etc when typically they are way more closed and restrictive than Tridium.

Post Likes
    xarralu,

Azzad...sounds like Dazza backwards ... I think azzad may well be in the same part of the world as we are ...

Post Likes
    xarralu,

Azzad...sounds like Dazza backwards ... I think azzad may well be in the same part of the world as we are ...
    He's out of Australia. He says he has been using EasyIO and really likes it. Maybe he will chime in here soon
    "It's not that I'm smart, it's that I stay with the problem longer”
    Albert Einstein

Post Likes
    azzad is Dazza backwards but I have no idea which part of the world you are in.

At this point in time I use the EasyIO 30 controllers as a freely programmable. They have been the best bang for buck controller I have come across that actually work. I have had 0 failures and 0 projects I havent been able to achieve with the EasyIO 30's.

Maybe I am just lucky though.

I just need an affordable standalone front end for accessing schedules and a couple of setpoints. From what I understand they are working on that right now.

Dazza

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in