+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The hardest thing to do....

Post Likes

The hardest thing to do....

is to teach or train an "experienced technician".

Why?

Because to accept said training or teaching, they must first accept or admit that they don't know something....which is too hard on their ego....because they're afraid that they might lose face with their peers.
    Technical incompetence is NOT a sales tool....

Post Likes
    I do not see it like this at all. If you are such a pre madonna That you "Know it all" Then I wouldn't want that type of guy working for me.

This Trade is ever changing. If someone can't accept a Refresher course or some updating Then they are confused in my mind.

If the Training is on the Company Dime then they realy have a problem.
    It's not a sign of weakness it shows that you can adapt!

Post Likes
    I think you are using the "experience technician" label as a catch term but it's not really that way at all. The experienced technicial is one experienced in learning from the day he/she gets in this trade until he/she ends up in the loose parts box, so to speak.
    "The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers it can bribe the public with the public's own money.
    - Alexis de Toqueville, 1835

Post Likes
    The hardest thing to do??? how bout working for you! there are some pretty desperate "experienced technician" out there, at the end you get what you paid for and sometimes less.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by valdelocc View Post
    The hardest thing to do??? how bout working for you! there are some pretty desperate "experienced technician" out there, at the end you get what you paid for and sometimes less.
    I knew that I could count on you to make this personal....

Post Likes
    I think you have it backwards. Experienced techs are just that. Some instructors struggle with being questioned and at times cornered on something they have not seen or considered. Experienced techs want to learn, they have to, but they want answers to questions or potential problems they foresee. I'm going to a manitowok refresher tomorrow and can't wait. I'll have questions and will expect answers.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommy knocker View Post
    I think you have it backwards. Experienced techs are just that. Some instructors struggle with being questioned and at times cornered on something they have not seen or considered. Experienced techs want to learn, they have to, but they want answers to questions or potential problems they foresee. I'm going to a manitowok refresher tomorrow and can't wait. I'll have questions and will expect answers.
    But, is every "experienced technician" technically competent? Or, have large numbers of them made a career of "getting by", changing parts and guessing based on prior experience?

There is a huge difference. Yes, the true technician who craves knowledge exists...but it's been my observation (as well as the observation of many of my peers) that the vast majority of today's technicians are "experience based", instead of "technically competent".....and those experience-based guys are generally so insecure, that they're almost impossible to teach.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommy knocker View Post
    . I'll have questions and will expect answers.
    Make sure you say that in an Arnold Swartzenegger voice too.

I don't know John, it's kinda the same old thing. You can't force anyone to learn that doesn't want to. The whole lead a horse to water but can't make them drink. I know a lot of these types actually. They go to classes and text, mess around, sleep or whatever then get mad when a few of us get sent to all the speciality trainings.

My boss said it pretty well the other day. You have people who live and learn, then you have others that are just living.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by John Markl View Post
    But, is every "experienced technician" technically competent? Or, have large numbers of them made a career of "getting by", changing parts and guessing based on prior experience?

There is a huge difference. Yes, the true technician who craves knowledge exists...but it's been my observation (as well as the observation of many of my peers) that the vast majority of today's technicians are "experience based", instead of "technically competent".....and those experience-based guys are generally so insecure, that they're almost impossible to teach.
    I know exactly what you mean by that. We have some people who couldn't use a meter to read voltage across a relay or switch.

Post Likes
    There is a big difference in the expectations of my, your generation and what has been taking place in this country and its school system for a good number of years now.

We were taught analytical thinking or whatever anyone choses to call it. And that was and is a dicipline that is not longer taught. Now we are to rely on information that comes from external sources such as the web, factory 800 numbers, computer type systems or anything that can and will do thinking for us.

We are dinosaurs, you might as well face it. I did many years ago and have given up on hiring assistance. I only use older guys now who may or may not be mechanically inclined. But I can tell them and give them exact instructions and they always complete what I direct them to do. And they are thankful for the work AND find it very interesting. No, I don't let them near anything that could do them in until I'm sure they are safe.
    "The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers it can bribe the public with the public's own money.
    - Alexis de Toqueville, 1835

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by John Markl View Post
    is to teach or train an "experienced technician".

Why?

Because to accept said training or teaching, they must first accept or admit that they don't know something....which is too hard on their ego....because they're afraid that they might lose face with their peers.
    What's plan B ?

Post Likes
    Alot of the smart, motivated people in life stayed far away from the HVAC field. They did things like med school, law school, engineering etc. Then whatever sharp ones were left, many of them started their own gig. So that leaves just a few desirable guys out there. If you want one, you usually got to pay the man to get and keep him.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by VTP99 View Post
    What's plan B ?
    Grow your own?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by VTP99 View Post
    What's plan B ?

The morning after pill.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ryan1088 View Post
    Make sure you say that in an Arnold Swartzenegger voice too.

I don't know John, it's kinda the same old thing. You can't force anyone to learn that doesn't want to. The whole lead a horse to water but can't make them drink. I know a lot of these types actually. They go to classes and text, mess around, sleep or whatever then get mad when a few of us get sent to all the speciality trainings.

My boss said it pretty well the other day. You have people who live and learn, then you have others that are just living.
    The guys who talk, sleep, text, etc are a$$ holes and should be called out and invited to leave, no refund, IMO. That is one of my pet peeves. The INSTRUCTOR must control their room or go do something else. But to say "experienced" tech is hard to teach is, IMO, inaccurate. A$$ holes are hard to teach.

Post Likes
    I have never claimed to know anything about anything. This has worked for me for many years.

I have worked with guys who have more experience than me who have less knowledge. Whatever... I call it job security. I'm sure it is frustrating for a business owner. Doesn't bother me one bit.
    Officially, Down for the count

YOU HAVE TO GET OFF YOUR ASS TO GET ON YOUR FEET

I know enough to know, I don't know enough
    Why is it that those who complain the most contribute the least?
    MONEY CAN'T BUY HAPPINESS. POVERTY CAN'T BUY ANYTHING

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by y7turbo View Post
    The morning after pill.
    I believe it's the medicare prescription plan as well
    Officially, Down for the count

YOU HAVE TO GET OFF YOUR ASS TO GET ON YOUR FEET

I know enough to know, I don't know enough
    Why is it that those who complain the most contribute the least?
    MONEY CAN'T BUY HAPPINESS. POVERTY CAN'T BUY ANYTHING

Post Likes
    The term "experienced technician" is pretty broad, and kinda vague. It was pointed out to me years ago that there is a difference between "10 years of experience" and "1 year of experience, repeated 10 times".

Post Likes
    These types of posts are intended to draw a line between those who own and those who are worker bees.
    Not a single experienced tech. has become experienced without changing unecassary parts on occasion, if one can't admit it they are lying.
    Some experienced folks know how to intellectualize there way around there failure or blame it on the next guy on the totem pole.
    The day I stop learning is the day I stop breathing.
    Remember not all Techs have had they blessings of training school and have had to learn by self teachings or OJT. A very high percentage of use techs have not been recepients of companies or large or small fortunes. Some have had to make a choice between working as opposed to schooling, a nice mixture would be best.
    If anyone takes offense to this it is probably because that's what they are looking to get out of it.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by toocoolforschool View Post
    These types of posts are intended to draw a line between those who own and those who are worker bees.
    Not at all.

Some guys go to work in a job, and thirst to learn everything possible about the place they work....others show up, and do what they have to do to get paid, not caring what the company does or why.

Most people fall somewhere in between....but, it's a very broad range in between.

Some guys get off at five, go home and drink beer and watch TV in the evening....while others spend their free time studying their career.....like many of the guys on this forum.

Look around. There are plenty of people in the trade like the ones I've described. They shun training ("I don't need that BS")....but bow up like a bullfrog when you question what they did on a specific job.

Now, how many of those guys do you even see here? Few, if any, I'd be willing to bet.

I've told countless guys just about this forum. How many of them do I know to be members? Two. One participates in learning discussions, while the other doesn't participate at all, except to look at Wall of Shame pictures.

Can you guess which one is the newbie who wants to learn, and which one is the veteran who "doesn't need help", but changes companies every year and a half?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in