Thread: Am I being scammed?

Post Likes

Am I being scammed?

Hi,

I live outside Metro Atlanta, in a town called Woodstock. I recently paid a "reputable" firm to come to my house to give my AC units a tune-up. Yes, it was the cooling systems I wanted checked. I made the appointment 2 weeks in advance.

The night before the appt, a cold front swept through and I turned on the heat. Both units started up and kept the house warm all night. The next morning the AC company shows up for their job.

After about an hour, he tells me my downstairs furnace is fine, but my upstairs furnace needs a new pressure sensor. He has flipped the switch on my unit so it doesnt run, and tells me it will be a little over $$$$ to replace the sensor.

I do what any DIY saavy person would do (and no, I am not asking for DIY advice here now), and went online to read about these things and see how hard they are to replace, etc. These things are a hose and 2 wires (a common and an ON connection). So for $$$$ I order a replacement for the model number i pulled off the furnace upstairs, and a new one came a few days later.

The hook-up was really simple. I mean, seriously. I checked the hose for obstructions, and plugged the wire from the old COM to the new COM, and from the old ON to the new ON.

Anyways, I replaced it and closed up the system and flipped the switch. The unit came on immediately even before my thermostat powered up. It is on constantly now, blowing cold air. The heater never engages.

So to my question: Did this guy do something to my furnace so that it wont run right unless he comes back and changes what he did? I mean, I believe in getting professionals to handle the hard stuff, but could not see myself forking over more than $$$$ for something that was working when he walked in the door. Now my upstairs unit just blows (literally and metaphorically).

What should it cost to have this sensor replaced? I have a Rheem Criterion 2 with a .30 pressure sensor (42-23648-03). Should I call someone else? I could really use an unbiased opinion on how I should proceed. Its getting kinda cold upstairs on some nights. I just don't want to get ripped off.

Rich

PS - The guy when he arrived refused to even look at the AC part of my units, told me he was here for the furnace only. So I still never got the AC tuneup I was looking for.
    Last edited by jpsmith1cm; 11-05-2012 at 09:25 PM. Reason: Pricing

Post Likes
    Codelizard,

#1. Pricing and pricing discussions aren't permitted here. I've edited your post to remove the prices.

#2. While it is possible, theoretically, that a tech could re-wire or mis-wire your furnace to not function, I'd much rather think that:
    (a) something ELSE is wrong in addition to the pressure switch
    (b) the pressure switch wasn't installed properly
    (c) the pressure switch wasn't the actual problem.

Post Likes
    you do know that we aren't going to give you any DIY advice

it cost the knowledge to determine what is wrong and how to correct the problem properly

why not contact where ever you ordered your part online.

since your post has already been censored, BECAUSE YOU CAN'T READ THE RULES YOU AGREED TO WHEN YOU SIGNED UP, I see nor reason to state the obvious
    It`s better to be silent and thought the fool; than speak and remove all doubt.

Post Likes
    You should find a good company you trust to fix your problem. A company that takes pride in their work and takes care of their customers. It is also a two way street. you DIY-you warranty it.
    I wish I had a $1.00 for every response I deleted.....

"Decidedly Superior in a twisted pathetic way".....

Post Likes
    you need to find a contractor you can trust and stay with them....
    it was working.... played with it.... now its broke.... whats the going hourly rate for HVAC repair

Post Likes
    You pay for the expertise, not the part.

You claim there isn't much skill in replacing the pressure switch. Well, your tried and it still isn't working. A skilled technician will know what is going on with your system within minutes of arriving on site.

Call a local contractor. Check our contractor locator map.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by dandyme View Post
    you do know that we aren't going to give you any DIY advice

it cost the knowledge to determine what is wrong and how to correct the problem properly

why not contact where ever you ordered your part online.

since your post has already been censored, BECAUSE YOU CAN'T READ THE RULES YOU AGREED TO WHEN YOU SIGNED UP, I see nor reason to state the obvious
    You know, I did go out of the way to read the rules. I am sorry I missed the part about prices, or I would not have posted them. I SPECIFICALLY mentioned I did NOT want DYI advice. I wanted to know if I was being scammed, if I should just blindly try someone else, or if I should call the same company to rectify their issue.

But I do appreciate the rudeness and condescension. Kudos for making a bad day even worse.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by beshvac View Post
    You should find a good company you trust to fix your problem. A company that takes pride in their work and takes care of their customers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brent Ridley View Post
    You pay for the expertise, not the part.

Call a local contractor. Check our contractor locator map.
    So dont call the guys who broke it, and try to find someone reliable. That's what I am taking away from all of this...

Where is the contractor map? I'd like to make use

Post Likes
    NVM found it. Nearest guy on the map is an hour away. I'll give them a ring in the am, anyways. Might already have someone in my area.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in