+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I'm finally doing my Digi-cool mod.

Post Likes
    Except for some minor cleanup, and putting a new protective boot on it, I'm pretty much done with them.

Fixed the booboo.
    JB Weld worked quite nicely for patching the "mistake hole".

Action shot.

What's 1ºF between friends?

The little UEI was my first digital thermometer, I got it in a pawn shop for $5 about 21 years ago.
    I've never had a J-type thermocouple for it, but it has always been happy with K-type thermocouples.

Post Likes
    “If You Can Dodge A Wrench You Can Dodge A Ball”

Post Likes
    You need more thermometers to really get better test results :beer:

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Post Likes
    What...no infrared? What type of a tool slut are you anyway
    Politicians need to be changed like diapers, and for the same reason.
    Mark Twain

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by hvac wiz 79 View Post
    You need more thermometers to really get better test results :beer:
    That is just the probes that are designed for securing to a pipe, and not all of them at that.
    I'm feeling to lazy to dig out air, surface and immersion probes/instruments, I tested them last month.

Quote Originally Posted by Gib's Son View Post
    What...no infrared? What type of a tool slut are you anyway
    I don't find IR thermometers particularly useful for much besides looking for hot electrical connections and breakers/fuses, so I only have a really cheap one.
    The thermal imaging camera is at the shop.
    My next >$500 tool purchase will be a Fluke VT02 Visual IR thermometer, sometime this spring/summer. It will be perfect for electrical and motor diagnostics, as well as some limited duct leakage/building diagnostics on service calls.
    Obviously it won't come near taking the place of a thermal imaging camera for building diagnostics, but it is something I can pack in my tool bag to every service call.

Post Likes
    My favorite probe was the red Cooper clamp for my red or blue box. The part that sucked is they would only last a year then fail so I gave up on them

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by mark beiser View Post
    That is just the probes that are designed for securing to a pipe, and not all of them at that.
    I'm feeling to lazy to dig out air, surface and immersion probes/instruments, I tested them last month.

I don't find IR thermometers particularly useful for much besides looking for hot electrical connections and breakers/fuses, so I only have a really cheap one.
    The thermal imaging camera is at the shop.
    My next >$500 tool purchase will be a Fluke VT02 Visual IR thermometer, sometime this spring/summer. It will be perfect for electrical and motor diagnostics, as well as some limited duct leakage/building diagnostics on service calls.
    Obviously it won't come near taking the place of a thermal imaging camera for building diagnostics, but it is something I can pack in my tool bag to every service call.
    Infrared guns are good for little more than determining a temperature difference in my book. I use mine to walk around and shoot diffusers, around windows etc. The thermal camera I want is like 10 grand LOL...not exactly in my budget for a tool that would get used occasionally.
    Politicians need to be changed like diapers, and for the same reason.
    Mark Twain

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jpsmith1cm View Post
    A 10kohm sensor is a 10kohm sensor.

I've made sensors to fit my DC that aren't DC sensors and I've made side-by-side comparisons. No problems.
    Appreciation. But did't [I] read an old post by you that went on to say ..."....The Cooper sensor mod have met varying degree of success and accuracy"?

I ask only to educate my self in this matter.

Post Likes
    yTurbo,

I am asking if you are Hellenic because that is my heritage. I just think it would be gratifying to know I am not The one Hellenic only this forum.

I speak the language, but I a not seeking to become your "BFF">

I ttwold be a comforting thought another Greek was on board.

Thank you

Post Likes
    y Turbo,

I am asking if you are Hellenic because that is my heritage. I just think it would be gratifying to know I am not The one Hellenic only this forum.

I speak the language, but I a not seeking to become your "BFF"...

It wold be a comforting thought that another Greek was on board here, hat's all.
    I have read some of your post that suggested you are Hellenic Origin.
    Thank you

Post Likes
    I bet there are a lot of techs here with greek lineage including me.

Post Likes
    Thank you.

Pleasure to make your acquaintance.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by itsiceman View Post
    A 10K is not a 10K is not a 10K They do make different 10K's

Ok, then, a compatible 10k is a compatible 10k.....

I've used a couple of Emerson/CPC temperature sensors and they work quite well.

I just bought the sensor plugs from Digi-key and made up my own sensors.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by hvac5646 View Post
    Appreciation. But did't [I] read an old post by you that went on to say ..."....The Cooper sensor mod have met varying degree of success and accuracy"?

I ask only to educate my self in this matter.
    I think that the "varying degrees of success" part of that has to do with the planning and execution of the mods rather than the sensors themselves.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jpsmith1cm View Post
    I think that the "varying degrees of success" part of that has to do with the planning and execution of the mods rather than the sensors themselves.
    Thank you JP.

Post Likes
    Name:  cooper1.jpg
Views: 942
Size:  23.4 KBName:  cooper2.jpg
Views: 952
Size:  29.2 KBName:  dalobsta.jpg
Views: 968
Size:  43.9 KB

The thermistors are set in a flexible sort of material so they do sink in a bit when attached to a pipe . Alot tougher than the Fluke style imo ( and I have some old Fluke K clamps , not putting them down at all ). They are quality stuff and they are not afraid to price them as such. Clamp force is strong on these as well. Like all clamps though , the ambient infiltration is there ( I cover them with white rags if it's windy ).

If I could change anything on these I'd add like a thin piece of soft gasket material for friction , but the same could be said for the Fluke K type as well.

I found that Tekmar Boiler Control sensors read exactly with Digicool sensors ( or the ones I have at least ) and have a concave section on them. I just need a bright idea moment to figure the best way to fit them in a clamp or something. Your Mod is cool Mark btw. - peace brothers

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by hvac5646 View Post
    y Turbo,

I speak the language, but I a not seeking to become your "BFF"...

It wold be a comforting thought that another Greek was on board here, hat's all.
    I have read some of your post that suggested you are Hellenic Origin.
    Thank you
    I am not Greek.

Post Likes
    Name:  closed.jpg
Views: 896
Size:  28.8 KB

Mark - I just took a closer look , the thermistors in these clamps are actually thin sheet metal wrapped around foam. I thought that they were solid. No matter either way I guess , just stating.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by tech45 View Post
    Mark - I just took a closer look , the thermistors in these clamps are actually thin sheet metal wrapped around foam. I thought that they were solid. No matter either way I guess , just stating.
    Thanks for posting the pictures.
    It looks like they are using the same sensor in those as they do in the pipe wrap probes, which is good.
    The actual thermistor is on the back side of the metal that looks like it is wrapped around the foam like material. The metal protects the thermistor, and aids heat transfer to it.

I guess I'll go ahead and order a couple of them, and keep the pipe wrap probes as spares, and for when I'm working on larger equipment.

Post Likes
    On another note, I thought of a way for Digi-Cool DRSA-1100 and 1600 owners to mod their units to do SH and SC with 2 probes.
    Those models only support one temperature prob, so normally the probe needs to be moved from one line to the other when switching between SH and SC.

Do a mod to plug 2 probes in, like I did, but wire them to a DPDT switch mounted where the existing prob connection port is.
    To switch between measuring SH and SC, you just hit the mode button to change to calculating SH or SC, and flip the switch to use the appropriate probe.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in