Thread: About to sign on dotted line for new HP-1 Question

Post Likes

About to sign on dotted line for new HP-1 Question

About to install my 3.5 ton HP with 4 ton VS blower. I want to add a humidifier and can't seem to get the same answers. Contractor quoted both an undermount flow through, powered and a Honeywell Trusteam. He said the Truesteam is the best but the cost and monthly maintenace seems a little high.

I am interested in the Aprilaire line. Is the powered 700a recommended over the 600a for a HP or does it not make one bit of difference. Thanks

Post Likes
    If you can mount the 700 on the supply, and hook it to the hot water line, it does better then the 600.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    If you can mount the 700 on the supply, and hook it to the hot water line, it does better then the 600.
    So if the return is the only place to mount it go with a 600a/500a then?

Also, why does the 400 make reference to being preferred if you have a septic? I have a septic but I also have a drain that the humidifier can tie into. Not sure of why this brand is recommended for a septic. Is it b/c it won't dump bacteria laden water into my septic defeating the septic's purpose? Is the 400 a better option (in terms of efficiency and getting the most humidity) over a 600a/500a? Thanks and hopefully I'll have a new HP next week, with humidifier.

Post Likes
    A 400 doesn't put 5.25 gallons of water an hour of run time into the septic system.
    Like a 600 or 700 will on the days were it has to run almost all day, to maintain humidity.
    So you won't be dumping 3000 plus gallons of water into the septic tank.

If you have a separate drain are, that the 600 can drain to, go with it.

A 400 won't have the same capacity of the 600.

Post Likes
    You're the man, Beenthere. I don't know how many threads I have read, was about to offer advice, and found you'd already said what I was going to. Smart Tech.

Post Likes
    Thank you.

Post Likes
    Beenthere, I have a drain in my HVAC room but it drains to the septic

Therefore, should I go with a 400 (especially since I was considering a humidifier on each of my 2 HP's). Although, all that water will make grass pretty green during the winter. Thanks

Post Likes
    If you feel the steamers are out of the question.
    Then yes, the 400.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    If you feel the steamers are out of the question.
    Then yes, the 400.
    This must be impossible. I called Aprilaire about the 400 and they said the 400 uses cold water not hot water since the water sits in some cups. you would loose efficiency therefore. This decision is unbelievable. Why is having a lot of water being discharged in a septic tank bad? It jsut flows to the drain field dosen't it or does it sit in the tank longer? Too many moving pieces with this humidifiere question. I would consider steam but since I want to put a humidifier on both HP's I have it becomes too costly. If I just do the 12 gallon one it may run constantly which would get expensive. Why is this not easy????

Post Likes
    Yes, it uses cold water, and is a bypass humidifier.

Most people don't want the large volume of water flowing into their septic system.

2-600s, or 2-700s, would be 11 gallons an hour of run time of discharge into your septic system.

Could easily be several thousand gallons in 1 month.

Post Likes
    if your humidifier runs that much to worry about how much water is being dumped into your septic that means your furnace runs alot better think about insulation. get the humidifier that can handle your square foot and forget about it.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by local553 View Post
    if your humidifier runs that much to worry about how much water is being dumped into your septic that means your furnace runs alot better think about insulation. get the humidifier that can handle your square foot and forget about it.
    Its not insulation that effects how much or often a humidifier runs.

Its infiltration.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in