Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does this sound fishy to anyone?

Post Likes

Does this sound fishy to anyone?

Two days ago I had a local HVAC company come out and do a check up on the A/C system of my home. The system wasn't giving me any problems. It had been over a hundred degrees here for about six straight days and the temperature in the house was lagging about three degrees behind where I had the thermostat set (74 degrees) and I just wanted to make sure the system was full of freon and working properly. My house is fourteen years old and so is the Carrier unit so I have it serviced every spring and fall to keep it running smoothly.
    Here's where the fishy part starts. The guy who came out said he had to add 1.5 pounds of freon. They have told me this each spring for the last five years. They always say the same thing, that the coils are leaking and need to be replaced, but I always just have them top off the freon and everything has been just fine until this year. When he left everything was running properly. He checked all the vents with a thermometer to make sure they were cooling at the proper temperature and the a/c compressor pump and motor were purring like a kitten. The air worked perfect, just like it did before they did anything to it. The following day I came home from work to find my house a staggering 88 degrees inside. The outside unit was working and the fan was blowing air out the vents inside but it was blowing out hot air.(It was 98 degrees outside). Every few minutes I could hear a groan from the attic (where my heat/ac unit is located) like something was trying to cut on but the lights would dim slightly and then it would stop groaning and just keep blowing hot air. They came out the next day and said that my compressor motor needed a "hard start" kit because it was getting old and needed a boost with cutting the compressor on. My question is could this just happen to the a/c motor overnight? I just can't believe my a/c unit went from running perfectly (never one problem with starting the compressor motor) to not running at all one day after they serviced it and added freon. Has anybody ever heard of this before? Any answers are greatly appreciated!

Post Likes
    Its possible. May just be coincidence that it happened after they were there.
    Or, it could be its just a bit over charged.

Post Likes
    Hard to say with oldies.

Was on one last Friday that got ugly. Oldie, working great. Shut her down to wash and check out. Turned back on. No compressor, went off on overload after sparks flew. Finally found the start assist had blown. Put on another one, like your tech did, and soon as compressor cooled back up and running.

Just coincidence on this one, probably same as yours.

Post Likes

Thanks for the info!

Quote Originally Posted by BaldLoonie View Post
    Hard to say with oldies.

Was on one last Friday that got ugly. Oldie, working great. Shut her down to wash and check out. Turned back on. No compressor, went off on overload after sparks flew. Finally found the start assist had blown. Put on another one, like your tech did, and soon as compressor cooled back up and running.

Just coincidence on this one, probably same as yours.
    Hey, thanks a lot for taking the time to answer my question. I've been scratching my head over this all day. I had to let the guy fix it because my wife and dog had nowhere else to go, but I just wanted a little assurance that my scenario was possible. Thanks again!

Post Likes

My first thought also:

Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    Its possible. May just be coincidence that it happened after they were there.
    Or, it could be its just a bit over charged.
    Thank you for taking time to answer my question. It's really frustrating when you (I) know absolutely nothing about HVAC. That was also my first thought, that the tech had overcharged it, but how would I even start to prove that with my utter lack of knowledge on the subject? It's an expensive lesson to learn. I need to take the time to find a tech that I trust and am comfortable with. Thanks again!

Post Likes
    Its not uncommon for a compressor to all of a sudden need a start assist 10, 12 years after they have been installed.

On a real hot day, with just a couple extra ounces, you won't be able to tell, and neither will the average tech.

Post Likes

Jeff Mauney

Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    Its not uncommon for a compressor to all of a sudden need a start assist 10, 12 years after they have been installed.

On a real hot day, with just a couple extra ounces, you won't be able to tell, and neither will the average tech.
    Hey, you're right, I can't blame the tech for that. I was just wondering. If it was slightly over charged could he let a little bit of freon out so that it would start working properly again or would it be too late at that point to do anything but put on a "hard start" kit?

Post Likes
    Twilli had to put one on a 6yr old system this week
    No Heat No Cool You need Action Fast

Post Likes
    1.5 lbs for the past five years well the leak has not fixed its self so this would mean you needed it

there is also a chance that over time you have a slight restriction in the refrigerant circut and when shuts down it isnt equalizing fast enough before it starts back up. A hard start will help overcome this problem.

finding the restriction and replacing the leaking coil will resolve this problem IMO

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Mauney View Post
    If it was slightly over charged could he let a little bit of freon out so that it would start working properly again or would it be too late at that point to do anything but put on a "hard start" kit?
    If it was caused by a 2 oz over charged, yea. Of course, only way to know would be to do it. And then if if it does cool enough later, that would mean it wasn't an over charge that wasn't the problem, and would have to charge you to come back, add the charge again, plus the hard start.

Putting the kit on was the right thing to do.

Post Likes
    Man sounds kinda like a call I went to after a hot week a customer wanted to have a clean and check done just to make sure it is all ok, everything good but wants to make sure, get out there do my thing, going along smoothly find compressor to have weak windings,(oh yeah weekend turned comfy most people nt even using a/c) cycled cool on no activity outside. Find 110 v at breaker no 220 tell customer she gets P!$$ed tell her to call electricity company to find out what is going on and issue is before main breaker so they need to look at not me she ways everything was fine what did i do its my fault. Well i finally break the news of the comp. i told her this was not my fault but i could help with informing her that the compressor WAS weak and she should consider repair or replacement. She had this look on her face and sayd " this sounds fishy im going to pay you for your service but i will be conmtacting another company"

Post Likes
    If the tech dumped 1.5 pounds of liquid could that wash out oil in the compressor and make it tough to start?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by filterchanger View Post
    If the tech dumped 1.5 pounds of liquid could that wash out oil in the compressor and make it tough to start?
    He'd of loss cooling before the tech left.

Post Likes
    Dear Marge,

Twilli says sell cat and buy ant eater.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Mauney View Post
    Two days ago I had a local HVAC company come out and do a check up on the A/C system of my home. The system wasn't giving me any problems. It had been over a hundred degrees here for about six straight days and the temperature in the house was lagging about three degrees behind where I had the thermostat set (74 degrees) and I just wanted to make sure the system was full of freon and working properly. My house is fourteen years old and so is the Carrier unit so I have it serviced every spring and fall to keep it running smoothly.
    Here's where the fishy part starts. The guy who came out said he had to add 1.5 pounds of freon. They have told me this each spring for the last five years. They always say the same thing, that the coils are leaking and need to be replaced, but I always just have them top off the freon and everything has been just fine until this year. When he left everything was running properly. He checked all the vents with a thermometer to make sure they were cooling at the proper temperature and the a/c compressor pump and motor were purring like a kitten. The air worked perfect, just like it did before they did anything to it. The following day I came home from work to find my house a staggering 88 degrees inside. The outside unit was working and the fan was blowing air out the vents inside but it was blowing out hot air.(It was 98 degrees outside). Every few minutes I could hear a groan from the attic (where my heat/ac unit is located) like something was trying to cut on but the lights would dim slightly and then it would stop groaning and just keep blowing hot air. They came out the next day and said that my compressor motor needed a "hard start" kit because it was getting old and needed a boost with cutting the compressor on. My question is could this just happen to the a/c motor overnight? I just can't believe my a/c unit went from running perfectly (never one problem with starting the compressor motor) to not running at all one day after they serviced it and added freon. Has anybody ever heard of this before? Any answers are greatly appreciated!
    Jeff, It is not an insult i just want you to think. You say your ac was working fine before he came out, But then in the same sentence you said it was running 3 degrees behind. Well then was it running fine??? If they put 1.5 lbs of "Freon" in for the past five years every year, Then wasn't it giving you problems? Can you say at this point that your ac was always running fine? Your ac didn't go from running perfectly to not running at all in one day, The compressor went form running to needing a hard start kit IN 14 YEARS!!!!!!! It didn't just happen overnight, It happened in 14 years, Your lucky you got 14 years with only adding 7.5 lbs of "Freon" to your AC. 1.5 pounds can be a significant amount to a residential system. Adding refrigerant every year to your system does not mean you never had a problem with your system. And also means your compressor runs without the proper charge, Compressors use the proper charge to cool themselves, So without it you have a strain on the compressor. I hate to say it but start budgeting for a new unit.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by marge View Post
    Jeff, you are in Charlotte, too....read my blog:

I have also been "challenged" by an A/C repair company here...it is very frustrating to say the least. But, we consumers have to stick together.
    Marge. You gotta be kidding me?
    They should pay because of the insects that inhabit YOUR backyard?
    You know for a FACT that the ants where not there two weeks prior on the inspection?
    I mean i feel a little sympathy for you. Maybe they should have done more to resolve the problem. Like take the mixed classes Trane offers on repairing HVAC systems and pest control.. I can see it now. "Call Trane. HVAC and pest control".
    Last edited by jrbenny; 06-14-2008 at 01:36 PM.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by marge View Post
    Jeff, you are in Charlotte, too....read my blog:

I have also been "challenged" by an A/C repair company here...it is very frustrating to say the least. But, we consumers have to stick together.
    Its not a scam.
    Why would you put ant bait in the A/C, you trying to get more ants to go into the unit. Ants don't always take the straightest path.

Just one of the warnings that should be put on A/Cs.

Ants, bees, ear wings, mice, spiders, snakes, squirrels, opposums, birds, weed whackers, children with pellet guns, fences, grass trimmings, laying objects on the condenser, piling mulch near the condenser, building patio decks above the condenser, planting trees or shrubbery near the condenser, using the condenser for a clothes dryer, defrosting or reheating food on the condenser can cause it too fail.

This not the complete list.

Post Likes
    Twilli still thinks ant eater is solution and a "doggy" door on condensor.

Post Likes
    Poor Marge the Mod ants got to her and ate her alive

Post Likes
    Just say NO to spam.
    Perhaps you should have read the instructions before calling.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in