+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Starting HVAC Program

Post Likes

Starting HVAC Program

Hello,

Im starting out in school for certification in HVAC service and installation technician. Would you guys consider this a tough field to learn and grasp?

Post Likes
    Simple answer...YES. If you search threads on here about HVAC programs and schools, you will find that you will come out no where near a full tech. More like you were going to go swimming and you have just stuck your toe in the water to check the temp. Oh and the pay scale will be low to start.

That being said, with desire, mechanical aptitude, and good attitude, you can go far and start to love it!
    Don't worry zombies are looking for brains, you're safe...

Post Likes
    Yes!! However it is IMO the best trade requiring the best minds. You see the refrigeration part of the trade is just that, a part. To be compatent and proficient in this game you must become a compatent and proficient electrician, plumber, pipefitter, millwright, rigger, and chemist just to mention a few. Don't let that scare you though. It is alot but if your willing to learn every day and are humble enough to say you do not can not and will not know it all you can do this. It is rewarding and worth the time and effort. And hey in a few years you will get to a point where you will never have to pay anyone to fix anything you own. Good luck.

Post Likes
    You will spend your whole life learning this trade. It will take you 5 years on being in this Trade to get a grasp of things. I Love this Trade. I am Happy to go to work each day cause it's always something New. I chose this as my carrer path straight out of highschool. I Don't feel I made the wrong choice.
    I get to go to school in October and it just so happens that the Refer school is also the big Fashion,jewllery arts etc school and filled with chicks YEA!!! My gas college was nothing but a susage fest all Trades with 4 Big butchy dykes that would make me Tap out.

What is your school like all trades or Mix?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSchoolMech View Post
    My gas college was nothing but a susage fest all Trades with 4 Big butchy dykes that would make me Tap out.
    Wisdom has been chasing you, but you have always been faster.

In your darkest hour, when the demons come, call on me brother and we shall fight them together.

A Veteran is a person, who at some point in their life, wrote a blank check payable to the United States of America for payment up to and including their life.
    Gene Castagnetti-Director of the National Memorial Cemetery of the Pacific in Hawaii

Post Likes
    Yes, but is also one of the most rewarding. There is so much to learn and technology is constantly changing. If you really want to do well and are willing to volunteer for every training class that is offered and spend some of your free time learning new technology you will do very well. So many new guys expect everything to be given to them and they are not willing to invest any of "their" time to improve. It is very difficult to find people with drive.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by KandShomeservices View Post
    Yes, but is also one of the most rewarding. There is so much to learn and technology is constantly changing. If you really want to do well and are willing to volunteer for every training class that is offered and spend some of your free time learning new technology you will do very well. So many new guys expect everything to be given to them and they are not willing to invest any of "their" time to improve. It is very difficult to find people with drive.
    This is so very true. In process refrigeration, they also have the added dis-incentive of having to stay drug-free, not being able to drink all the time, and having a clean background check. And many of them say they want to learn but put no extra effort into it. And then there's the ones who only want to work on machines only at their convenience from 7-3:30, not at the customer's who is losing 100k to 1M an hour when his machine goes down. But on the bright side, when the economy goes down, my economy stays pretty good. You might want to point this out to the slackers.

Post Likes
    I say its very rewarding and tough. I have been in the field for 5 years now and still try to everyday learn something new which I normally do. I want to improve myself since this is my career and next week will be signing up for another 4 years of schooling at night to better my craft. I feel I am very green still and have lots to learn but this website has been a big help and I read daily

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in