+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: HVAC assistance

Post Likes
    LOL..
    I meant isn't a bad idea. I went back and corrected it.
    Thanks for catching that.

Post Likes
    Hey Wulfbane,
    Stick with it you have made a good choice if trades is what you want to do.
    As a refrigeration mechanic in BC you will be one of the highest paid trades in the country.
    If you excel in this field you shouldnt need to worry about work.
    All that said this is tough trade. It is demanding physically, mentally and will consume a good part of your life. To do it right you need to give it 100% especially during your apprenticeship. Study,work hard, earn the respect of the journeyman you work with, and walk before you run.
    Check out the Jarts pre-apprenticeship coarse offered by the refrigeration union. Its a good place to start.

www.jarts.bc.ca

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by cousteau View Post
    Hey Wulfbane,
    As a refrigeration mechanic in BC you will be one of the highest paid trades in the country.
    All that said this is tough trade. It is demanding physically, mentally and will consume a good part of your life. To do it right you need to give it 100% especially during your apprenticeship. Study,work hard, earn the respect of the journeyman you work with, and walk before you run.
    Check out the Jarts pre-apprenticeship coarse offered by the refrigeration union. Its a good place to start.

www.jarts.bc.ca
    And talk to a financial advisor. The earlier you start putting money aside for later the more options you'll have in later life. Most fridgies I've worked with regret the amount of money they poured over the porcelain over the years. If you do it right by your mid thirties you could be financially independent.
    Mistakes are a part of being human. Appreciate your mistakes for what they are: precious life lessons that can only be learned the hard way. Unless it's a fatal mistake, which, at least, others can learn from. Al Franken, "Oh, the Things I Know", 2002

Post Likes
    You will be find alot of info on the net I hope you be able to work in the field while your getting ready if you do I know you stay away from the gofer jobs I am sure you will be great
    check this web sight for head presure control I have seen these controls on refrigeration ,icemachine's never on HVAC yet but do not worry these contols do not fail as much as others http://www.buenosaires.ansal.com.ar/Documentacion/pdfs/90-30.PDF

Post Likes
    Best wishes, Jean-Pierre.

When I was 15, I was deliberating between HVAC and architecture. Since then I've done both, in a way. Lots of HVAC and building repair...then I designed and built a structure. Most of the skills it took to build the thing I picked up doing HVAC and building engineer work. I'm not an architect, mainly a tech, as well as into management, and looking at teaching HVAC and HVAC design as future possibles to augment what I'm currently doing.

Lots of possibilities in the HVAC/R field. While you're young, get out and turn wrenches, do windshield time. When you start feeling the years, keep increasing your knowledge (as you'll need to do all along) so you aren't in crawl spaces or attics all day every summer, or freezing your tailbone off on a rooftop during the dead of winter, day after day.

And...as you gain knowledge and wisdom, pass it on. That will give your time in the saddle more meaning than any amount of money.

Post Likes
    E me wulfbane - its in my profile
    www.vetopropac.com - The best tool bags on the market - The offical tool bag of choice by techs everywhere

Arguing with some people is like wrestling a pig - eventually you realise the pig actually enjoys it

Gonads serve a useful purpose but are no substitute for brains

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by cousteau View Post
    Hey Wulfbane,

www.jarts.bc.ca
    I was going to say, if you know you want to get into this trade, don't bother with the Trades Discovery program at BCIT. Get on the list now for the pre-apprenticeship program at JARTS or the Refrigeration Mechanic ELTT program at BCIT. I know a year ago the waiting list for the BCIT program was 2 years. As soon as you enter either of these programs after high school, go around to every HVAC/R company in your area and try to get your foot in the door.

Modern Refrigeration is the textbook you will use if you take your apprenticeship training at JARTS each year. I'm not sure if BCIT uses the same book. I'm currently doing my apprenticeship level 1 at JARTS and it's a good school.

Post Likes

HVAC World

If I were starting out. I would pay attention to where technology is going. Computers, a good control guys is invaluable. Also if you can understand the computer side of things like Tracer Summitt or Honeywell and get to know your way around those systems this is a very small field of people. The general knowledge of this business is priceless. If you have a passion for this field and stay up on current issues. I say go for it and someday you will be a valued employee. If you don't have the customer service skills you will not go far so brush up on being a people person.

Good Luck!!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Swamp fox View Post
    You seem pretty smart and mature for your age, run away from this business as fast as you can, we are underpaid and work too hard
    if we don't trick, i mean encourage new youngsters in to the trade to fill in for the techs retiring they may never let us go. then we will all be screwed. don't believe what swampfox said. come over to dark side
    Air conditioning to all and to all a good night

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by comfort comando View Post
    if we don't trick, i mean encourage new youngsters in to the trade to fill in for the techs retiring they may never let us go. then we will all be screwed. don't believe what swampfox said. come over to dark side
    Yes! I sense the force is strong in this one.
    And the mind just feeble enough
    Mistakes are a part of being human. Appreciate your mistakes for what they are: precious life lessons that can only be learned the hard way. Unless it's a fatal mistake, which, at least, others can learn from. Al Franken, "Oh, the Things I Know", 2002

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in