Thread: for Andy Schoen of Sporlan

Post Likes

for Andy Schoen of Sporlan

a little gripe from me...hopefully a little education from you.

why does every filter/drier manufacturer in the world (at least in my little world) package "between filter" gaskets, yet Sporlan does not? i do not want to hear that Sporlan does a better job of manufacturing and their tolerances are better or something like that...as i have compared Sporlan and Alco side by side and they "appear" the same from a "tolerance" stand point. it just seems silly that the specs read 20-40 micron filtration but without the gaskets or such, 20 micron items would (did in my case) flow right by. my local distributor claims that, it is this way, so that if the filter plugged up, it would "relieve" the pressure. i don't think so, guys.

i am off my soapbox now...i feel much better...you may have the floor.

thank you in advance.
    "Right" is not the same as "Wise".

Don't step on my favorite part of the Constitution just to point out your favorite part.

Just because you can measure it, doesn't mean it is important. Just because you can't measure it, doesn't mean it isn't important.

Post Likes
    are you talking about the little copper washers? by the way all filters are not the same Alco and Emerson are junk, I buy nothing but Parker I meant Sporlan

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by hvacpope View Post
    are you talking about the little copper washers? by the way all filters are not the same Alco and Emerson are junk, I buy nothing but Parker I meant Sporlan
    no...just the "felt" like gaskets on replaceable core filter/driers...sorry i did not mention that before.

Don't step on my favorite part of the Constitution just to point out your favorite part.

Just because you can measure it, doesn't mean it is important. Just because you can't measure it, doesn't mean it isn't important.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jayguy View Post
    a little gripe from me...hopefully a little education from you.

why does every filter/drier manufacturer in the world (at least in my little world) package "between filter" gaskets, yet Sporlan does not?
    Aarrrgggghhhhh! That micron peck that managed to slip between cores of a properly sized multi-core filter-drier via 2 or 3 90° turns and the rather low probability it didn't get trapped first in the huge surface area of the cores compared to the seams... will invariably get itself caught on its second pass thru the filter-drier.

The key here is we are doing low pressure drop filtration. Filtration at high pressure drops is another matter, and this isn't applicable with refrigeration systems.

i do not want to hear that Sporlan does a better job of manufacturing and their tolerances are better or something like that
    Why not? My manufacturing engineers tell me this all the time.

I buy nothing but Parker I meant Sporlan
    They're way too many comedians on in this forum.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy Schoen View Post
    Aarrrgggghhhhh! That micron peck that managed to slip between cores of a properly sized multi-core filter-drier via 2 or 3 90° turns and the rather low probability it didn't get trapped first in the huge surface area of the cores compared to the seams... will invariably get itself caught on its second pass thru the filter-drier.
    that part i already got. if a speck that small was able to foul up a 100 ton recip compressor...then i have bigger problems. my problem is what happened a few weeks ago when the compressor heads changed color and puked out some of its parts. that compressor is already dead. i am worried about the new compressor and the greater than small speck size particles running around. it is a 4 core "100" liquid line drier. i know that eventually all of the parts are going to get caught in the drier...i am just concerned about in the mean time.

i am also just curious about why them "other" guys do this and Sporlan does not.

thank you for the help...and the smilies

Post Likes

Talking

You know we should have a felt replacement gasket on all replacable core shell driers. I guess you can purchase as a seperate cost item part? If you can remember with all these " step" practices and techniques when your sweating those kahoonas. And emerson makes a very comparable drier to the sporlan drier. Sorry to rant but i feel your pain jay and all jokes aside.

Post Likes
    ? by the way all filters are not the same Alco and Emerson are junk, I buy nothing but Parker I meant Sporlan[/QUOTE]

What is the problem with the Emerson/Alco filter driers cores compared to Sporlan.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by berg2666 View Post
    ? by the way all filters are not the same Alco and Emerson are junk, I buy nothing but Parker I meant Sporlan

What is the problem with the Emerson/Alco filter driers cores compared to Sporlan.[/QUOTE]

Don’t really know much about Alco/Emerson and I don’t want to find out… been using Sporlan’s problems free for a long time, I know the local and regional reps, they answer my calls right away and truly know their line of products,( from time to time they conduct training sessions for us RSES members free of charge too) they do the same pretty much for anyone, in a nutshell “great American made product with awesome customer support that kind of place them ahead of the competition.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by berg2666 View Post
    ? by the way all filters are not the same Alco and Emerson are junk, I buy nothing but Parker I meant Sporlan

What is the problem with the Emerson/Alco filter driers cores compared to Sporlan.[/QUOTE]Not only is emerson an exellent company but the stock is hot after a 5 to 10 % order rise report stock should go up like a rocket ,up $1.55 Friday and more in after hour trading

Post Likes
    Don’t really know much about Alco/Emerson and I don’t want to find out… been using Sporlan’s problems free for a long time, I know the local and regional reps, they answer my calls right away and truly know their line of products,( from time to time they conduct training sessions for us RSES members free of charge too) they do the same pretty much for anyone, in a nutshell “great American made product with awesome customer support that kind of place them ahead of the competition.
    if i had that...i wouldn't change either.

Post Likes
    What is the problem with the Emerson/Alco filter driers cores compared to Sporlan.

Don’t really know much about Alco/Emerson and I don’t want to find out… been using Sporlan’s problems free for a long time, I know the local and regional reps, they answer my calls right away and truly know their line of products,( from time to time they conduct training sessions for us RSES members free of charge too) they do the same pretty much for anyone, in a nutshell “great American made product with awesome customer support that kind of place them ahead of the competition.[/QUOTE]

So if you don't know much about a product how can you say it's junk

Post Likes
    i am also just curious about why them "other" guys do this and Sporlan does not.

thank you for the help...and the smilies
    Ok, I'll ask our chemical guys.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy Schoen View Post
    Ok, I'll ask our chemical guys.
    thank you.

Post Likes
    I know this thread is way old but I stumbled across it doing research on retrofit refrigerant. Did anyone every find out why? This had me wondering too...
    Gotta have the right tool for the job!

Where is all the stuff MADE IN THE USA?

"Thats what we do Troy. Incredible, Invisible, Imbelivable things. We are an Unseen, Unknown, Unvincible fraternity of craftsman.."

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in