+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 500 psig at discharge, 250 at LLSV

Post Likes

500 psig at discharge, 250 at LLSV

likely restriction, or is this possible?

5 ton trane split system, condenser is on the roof. system cools a server room. at 55* ambient, i have ~100psig liquid pressure, close to zero subcooling, and amps in excess of RLA at the compressor.

Any ideas? i'm starting to think air in system.

p.s. 20* evaporator, with excessive superheat (TXV).

Post Likes
    you must have a restriction otherwise you would have nearly 500 psig at the LL solenoid valve too. not to say that you don't have air too, but your biggest problem is a restriction of some sort.
    "Right" is not the same as "Wise".

Don't step on my favorite part of the Constitution just to point out your favorite part.

Just because you can measure it, doesn't mean it is important. Just because you can't measure it, doesn't mean it isn't important.

Post Likes
    You state 250 at the LLSV and then say ~100 liquid pressure.

Which is it???

Post Likes
    sorry, it had been a long day. the 100 psig was after i bypassed the fan cycle control so the unit would run. the 500/250 was what i was getting, but since the fan cycle control cut in was too high, the system couldn't run. i don't even know what the cut in is, couldn't read it.

Post Likes
    if it were air, could i pump down the system, and check the pressure against my PT chart? i realize that the LL Schraeder Valve would be blocked by the LL Service valve (when closed), but there is a schraeder on the discharge manifold. what do ya'll think?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by wdshea View Post
    if it were air, could i pump down the system, and check the pressure against my PT chart? i realize that the LL Schraeder Valve would be blocked by the LL Service valve (when closed), but there is a schraeder on the discharge manifold. what do ya'll think?
    sell them a new unit, tell the customer tranes are junk, parts are expensive and the problem could be electrical,mechanical or both combined. that approach has never fail me, trust on this one.

Post Likes

first of all, i don't want to sell them something they don't need, second i want to know why this system is acting the way it is.

third, i assume you are kidding

Post Likes
    Is there anything between the discharge and LLSV that could cause a restriction? Filter/Drier perhaps?
    To remove air I was taught to recover the refrigerant into a clean tank and let it sit for a while. Then bleed the air out of the gas valve. This way you could weigh out the charge to verify charge, remove any non-condensable gases, and weigh the correct charge in to eliminate the charge as a possible problem.
    "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten". --Benjamin Franklin
    "Don't argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". --Mark Twain
    http://www.campbellmechanical.com

Post Likes
    R-22,407C ,410A?? Check valve in discharge line?? Compressor on the the roof or at the air handler??

Model and serial number of unit??

More info please...

Post Likes
    the thing is, i was hoping to save time by pumping all the refrigerant into the condenser and essentially do the same thing... there is a cheap copper FD that was in the unit, then another filter drier out of the unit... though no temp drop on the internal FD.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by wdshea View Post
    the thing is, i was hoping to save time by pumping all the refrigerant into the condenser and essentially do the same thing... there is a cheap copper FD that was in the unit, then another filter drier out of the unit... though no temp drop on the internal FD.
    You could still have a substantial pressure drop across the FD without a noticeable temperature drop. There was a thread about this very issue recently.
    "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten". --Benjamin Franklin
    "Don't argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". --Mark Twain
    http://www.campbellmechanical.com

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by valdelocc View Post
    sell them a new unit, tell the customer tranes are junk, parts are expensive and the problem could be electrical,mechanical or both combined. that approach has never fail me, trust on this one.
    Why sell a new unit when you can fix the old one? Must be a glorified sales tech!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Join http://scopeny.org/ Shooter’s Committee on Political Education

The world is full of sheep,try not to join the flock.

Support the Skilled Trades, Don't DIY

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by air1 View Post
    You could still have a substantial pressure drop across the FD without a noticeable temperature drop. There was a thread about this very issue recently.
    X2

Join http://scopeny.org/ Shooter’s Committee on Political Education

The world is full of sheep,try not to join the flock.

Support the Skilled Trades, Don't DIY

Post Likes
    Fan cycler was set too high to leave the condenser run? Good chance its not working and is the cause of the restriction.

Post Likes
    i don't think it is the fan cycle so much as the pressure issue. the fan cycle is detecting the liquid pressure (which is too low), and isn't cycling the fan on soon enough, by the time it does, the compressor relief is already bypassing.

Post Likes
    What kind if unit is this your working on?

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by qwerty hvac View Post
    Why sell a new unit when you can fix the old one? Must be a glorified sales tech!

Highly glorified must add!! thats why I make the big bucks

Post Likes
    This should be a good one, the high superheat indicates a starving evaporator but the lack of subcooling is trouble.

The high excess compressor amperage is obviously telling you there is an issue. Im assuming this is a R22 system. Is it metering correctly? Can you range the SH? Your restriction could wind up being the TXV if its not the drier, kinked lines or the obvious.

Post Likes
    It's been over a week now. Hopefully it's solved. Hopefully we'll hear about it...

Post Likes
    Problem solved!

Internal filter drier was restricting flow. You know the ones i'm talking about, those POS copper FD's that trane put inside the unit. The mesh had actually come apart and the dessicant had come out of it.

Anyway, long story short, dumbass had low pressures, so he just kept adding refrigerant until the suction got above freezing.

Anyway, i speculate that because the system was so grossly overcharged there wasnt a temp drop across the internal FD. (There wasnt, i checked)

I recovered 18.5lbs of refrigerant, factory charge is 7.75, and i charged it to 13.75. System is running well, but there are some other issues that need attention.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in