Thread: Squealing compressor 30 seconds after start up.

Post Likes

Squealing compressor 30 seconds after start up.

When my compressor turns on everything is normal, hot air from the fan and cold air from the registers. 30 seconds after start up though there is a loud squealing noise coming from the compressor and the air from the fan isn't that hot and the air coming from the registers isn't that cold. I let the system run for at least 20 minutes and it never stopped squealing and the house never got cold. I shut it down and started it up a few times and it is the same thing happening. Any suggestions?

I have a Goodman that is roughly 4yrs old and it is 410a.

Can I post a video of whats happening on youtube and then link it here?

Post Likes
    The Video will Help.
    If I had to geuss it's a noisy scroll that's been worked too hard or its going out on internal bypass. The video will help us with an answer to your problem.

Post Likes
    Stop typing and start looking for a Technician is my best advice to you.

Post Likes
    I have my suspicions but would have to be there with tools and gauges to tell for sure. At 4 years old the compressor is still in parts warranty.

Post Likes
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azc9e8uZH6w

This is the youtube link that I just posted to help better understand what I'm taking about. Thanks.

Post Likes
    That, my friend, is a compressor going off on high pressure bypass - you need to call a pro & let him figure out why it's doing that. I have a couple ideas but none I'd be able to say for sure unless I was there diagnosing it myself.
    WHY?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Special Ed View Post
    That, my friend, is a compressor going off on high pressure bypass - you need to call a pro & let him figure out why it's doing that. I have a couple ideas but none I'd be able to say for sure unless I was there diagnosing it myself.
    X2. Shut off and call a service tech

Post Likes
    Yep, stop running it, and all out a service tech.

Post Likes
    Yes call someone fast.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Join http://scopeny.org/ Shooter’s Committee on Political Education

The world is full of sheep,try not to join the flock.

Support the Skilled Trades, Don't DIY

Post Likes
    Qwerty HVAC, I noticed it says you are from Buffalo. I am as well. Do you have any recommendations on who in the area I should give a call too? I'm in Cheektowaga.

Thanks for the replies everyone... I did shut it down long ago and intend on having someone look at it tomorrow. I like to have a little insight on what the problem might be so when the professionals come in they don't take me for a ride. Thanks again for the help all.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by fryguyokc View Post
    Qwerty HVAC, I noticed it says you are from Buffalo. I am as well. Do you have any recommendations on who in the area I should give a call too? I'm in Cheektowaga.

Thanks for the replies everyone... I did shut it down long ago and intend on having someone look at it tomorrow. I like to have a little insight on what the problem might be so when the professionals come in they don't take me for a ride. Thanks again for the help all.
    I would go with a bigger company that does commercial as well. I do not have any good things to say about the resi company's located here. I will leave it at that.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Special Ed View Post
    You mentioned you had a couple of ideas. I'm wondering if those ideas are expensive to fix. Is it possible this could be an easy fix or am I looking at some big money. I know one thing for certain, 410a is NOT cheap at all unfortunately for me! Thanks

Post Likes
    Motor or cleaning could be other things though

Post Likes
    When is the last time you had maintenance done?

Post Likes
    Sounds like premature bypassing as the highlimit switch would cut off fan and compressor. If it has been running high head pressures for a while due to dirty coil or overcharge (although not high enough to cycle limit) it could have casused premature failure. The Tech can diagnose for sure. Better that it is r410 than r22 price wise though it may not be contaminated. Have you had any problems with the contractor that installed it? *some* are easier on recent systems they installed, but if its big money dont feel bad about getting quotes.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in