Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: GOODMAN GMH95 VS. TRANE XV90

Post Likes
    Good point there, but will this set up cycle the furnace on and off?

I have a two stage Honeywell IAQ on my Trane XV90, and when we are -10, my furnace ran pretty steady in 1st stage, and cycle 2nd once in awhile. And when we had -20, the furnace ran steady for a couple of days, all the rooms where with in 1˚ from one another.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by mayguy View Post
    Good point there, but will this set up cycle the furnace on and off?

I have a two stage Honeywell IAQ on my Trane XV90, and when we are -10, my furnace ran pretty steady in 1st stage, and cycle 2nd once in awhile. And when we had -20, the furnace ran steady for a couple of days, all the rooms where with in 1˚ from one another.
    I don't understand. The furnace cycles on and off when satisfied or calling for heat just like a two stage system operated by the stat does.

I'm assuming that your system is designed for -20f. If so, it should be running 24/7 on high fire when it is -20 out. This would mean that it should be going into high fire more then once in a while at -10f. If it is not operating this way, it is oversized.
    Training is important!
    Practical Training is a must!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by RoBoTeq View Post
    I'm assuming that your system is designed for -20f. If so, it should be running 24/7 on high fire when it is -20 out. This would mean that it should be going into high fire more then once in a while at -10f. If it is not operating this way, it is oversized.
    That's a big surprise why? You have to round up when selecting - they don't make a perfect furnace size for every house! I know you know this - I'm just pointing it out. All but a few installations are oversized somewhat...

Post Likes
    I don't understand. The furnace cycles on and off when satisfied or calling for heat just like a two stage system operated by the stat does.
    Another word, is 2nd stage forced to stay on till the the temp has met set point, or does it cycle back to 1st stage like a true 2- stage stat would?

I don't recall what my design temp was, but it's some what oversized since 60k is the smallest they make in the XV90.

When we d0 get the -25˚, it did cycle 2nd stage pretty often, but overall it ran non-stop.

Like larobj63 pointed out, we can't get the dead on BTU rating.. I think the load calc came back at 54k?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by larobj63 View Post
    That's a big surprise why? You have to round up when selecting - they don't make a perfect furnace size for every house! I know you know this - I'm just pointing it out. All but a few installations are oversized somewhat...
    I disagree that you have to round up. You have to round out, either up or down. I prefer rounding down. I'd rather have a more efficient system all the time with rare extreme times where I might have to keep the doors shut more often or close the drapes. Let's face it, if your temps are five degress off either way during the few extreme temperature days, it's certainly not going to kill anyone.
    Training is important!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by mayguy View Post
    Another word, is 2nd stage forced to stay on till the the temp has met set point, or does it cycle back to 1st stage like a true 2- stage stat would?

I don't recall what my design temp was, but it's some what oversized since 60k is the smallest they make in the XV90.

When we d0 get the -25˚, it did cycle 2nd stage pretty often, but overall it ran non-stop.

Like larobj63 pointed out, we can't get the dead on BTU rating.. I think the load calc came back at 54k?
    Algorythmic calculated two stage systems are true two stage systems. They do stay in low fire when only low fire is needed unless there has been a longer run cycle in which they may go into high fire once in a while. These are not simply timers for stages where they run for five minutes on low and then on high until satisfied, that is not what the new hybrid algorythmic controls do.

A 60K furnace in a home with a 54K load would be perfect and would run 24/7 on high fire during times when the calculated load were present.
    Training is important!

Post Likes
    How much more would it have cost for Goodman to ask to have a W2 on the board for those who believe a 2 stage thermostat is better? Carrier has used logic on 2 stage since the beginning but still offer W2.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by BaldLoonie View Post
    How much more would it have cost for Goodman to ask to have a W2 on the board for those who believe a 2 stage thermostat is better? Carrier has used logic on 2 stage since the beginning but still offer W2.
    $2.21?

It is what it is. Why confuse those poor, stupid Goodman installer's?
    Training is important!

Post Likes
    $2.21?

It is what it is. Why confuse those poor, stupid Goodman installer's?
    Well, the saving the dealer gets, heck they could afford to send them to school to learn how?? (hehe)

Post Likes

Confused GOODMAN GMH95 VS. TRANE XV95 / PICKING TRANE...QUESTIONS

I am picking the TRANE XV95

- I have to pay extra to have the PVC set for the intake/retun for the trane. But the

sales guy said that they typically set it up to grab from the basement (in addition to

the return vents ?). I thought that high eff. furnace were setup to grab fresh air from
    the outside so that you would have better combustion compared to stale air. But in a typical situation like this you are only using the outside air for the furnace to burn, and inside air to blow over the heat exchanger.

- My general aire bypass humidifier is very basic and it has a an analog dial to control the min/max of the humidity level..which I just turn up to max for most of the winter. For that reason alone I don't see the point of spending so much $$ on a honeywell IAQ..which will not be able to the humidity via analog dial..but only fan speed.

- I want the furnace to be mounted on a concrete blocks. I don't see any pitfalls but the primary reason to do it..is to protect it from any water damage...if my sump pump fails.

I am thinking about getting a quote for an amana ...but it is so much easier to buy a used car over a new furnace......mein gott !!!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by joecerone View Post
    I am thinking about getting a quote for an amana ...but it is so much easier to buy a used car over a new furnace......mein gott !!!
    Stimmt. Es ist ja schwer, einen neuen einfachen Flammofen zu kaufen.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ECIndHVAC View Post
    Stimmt. Es ist ja schwer, einen neuen einfachen Flammofen zu kaufen.
    Why do you say it is difficult to buy a new high efficiency furnace? You compare efficiencies, features and warranties and make sure the installer is competent.

Personally, I would not consider having a condensing furnace installed without having the combustion air from outside.

The only major difference between comparable Amana and Goodman furnaces is the material the heat exchanger is made of. As long as no contaminants are being burned or condensate allowed to form on the heat exchanger during times when heating is not required, there is no advantage of stainless steel over aluminized steel. Of course the Amana furnace does have a better warranty.

Things that are cause for concern for contaminants for heat exchangers are when the combustion air comes from inside the home rather then from the outside or if LP gas is used.
    Training is important!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by bmathews View Post
    Where do you live that you are running the heater? I need to move there. We've been near or above 100 for friggin 4 months. It's time for winter. Too damned hot and I need a break.
    Amen. I can attest to that. Spent a week in Round Rock back in the summer (late 70's) for the start up of the McNeil plant.

Whew! Couldn't wait to leave.

AM

Post Likes
    "I thought that high eff. furnace were setup to grab fresh air from
    the outside so that you would have better combustion compared to stale air. But in a typical situation like this you are only using the outside air for the furnace to burn, and inside air to blow over the heat exchanger"

Using the outside for both exhaust and combustion air is the way its done. No matter who makes the furnace.Why would he state he would not run the intake from outside on a Goodman, and then say Trane requires it from outside ? Grabbing combustion air from the basement will not be done if you have a gas dryer, water heater etc. Reason being is those units need combustion air also, so if your sucking air to the furnace for combustion, you starve the others of combustion air. Most inspectors I've dealt with want the intake from the outside. Also they must terminate in the same area. I think the rule is not more than 16 inches apart.
    I'll be there when I get there and not a minute later

Post Likes
    Why do you say it is difficult to buy a new high efficiency furnace?
    LOL,

the OP said something in German, so I figured I'd brush up on my skills. You know what they say: Uebung macht den Meister!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ECIndHVAC View Post
    LOL,

the OP said something in German, so I figured I'd brush up on my skills. You know what they say: Uebung macht den Meister!
    Hey now, I've never called you that

But, you know what else they say; practice makes perfect
    Training is important!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in