Thread: Trane XL14c - two-stage cooling?

Post Likes

Trane XL14c - two-stage cooling?

The trane XL14c has a variable speed blower and two-stage gas heat according to their website. What i'm not clear on is whether it has two-stage cooling? If not, does it still use the VS blower when cooling or just for heating? Also, can a Honeywell VisionPro IAQ t-stat control the different stages and the VS blower, or is it better to let the unit (Comfort-R) do it?

We just had the above equipment installed and I want to make sure the installer has everything set-up properly. As it is, the t-stat settings indicate single stage heat and cooling, so I assume it is set-up to have the unit control the stages and VS fan.

TIA

Post Likes
    it is not two stage cooling, only 16i and 19i. You may still use variable speed though.

Post Likes
    Thanks.

How about the Visionpro IAQ vs Comfort-R issue? Which is better to control fan speed, etc?

Post Likes
    The IAQ can slow down the ECM variable-speed blower to control humidity on demand, so that would be my preference. I don't know how common it is to use this thermostat on a packaged unit, so I'll let someone else comment on that... And the XL14c has a 2-stage gas valve and single-stage compressor. You'd need the XL16c for 2-stage heat and cool.

Post Likes
    Thanks - I'll post the t-stat vs. unit question as a separate post for hopefully more replies.

Post Likes
    Isn't the 14c, a packaged unit.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    Isn't the 14c, a packaged unit.
    Yes - why do you ask?

Post Likes
    Wanted to make sure I was thinking of the right unit.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in