Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A-coils Upside Down

Post Likes

A-coils Upside Down

I once had a contractor that actually installed my A-coil upside down. He said that the previous contractor had installed it upside down with the drip pan on top! The previous contractor had made his own drip pan to put under the coil, and that had corroded, disintegrated, and leaked water all over the downstairs ceiling drywall. A short time after he reinstalled the coil, it leaked again. This time water was getting blown around the drip pan. He remedied this, but when he wouldn't pay for the drywall damage, I moved on to another contractor. Good thing, because I then learned that the original contractor actually had the coil installed correctly, and my contractor had reinstalled it upside down. It turns out that when using this A-coil in a Carrier downflow unit, you were supposed to install it with the drip pan on top, and provide your own drip pan on the other side, just as the original contractor had done, and my contractor had "corrected".

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by brucezas View Post
    It turns out that when using this A-coil in a Carrier down-flow unit, you were supposed to install it with the drip pan on top..
    Were are you at were water runs uphill?
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards" ~ Vernon Law

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." ~ John Wooden

"When the teachers become unteachable we're all in trouble" ~ Mr. Bill

"Remember "Pro" is only a name, it's not always a mindset determined to do everything correctly" ~ Mr. Bill

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bill View Post
    Were are you at were water runs uphill?
    The coil was designed for an upflow unit, but you could use it in a downflow unit by turning the coil around, which put the drain pan on top, and then providing your own drain pan at the bottom. That was Carrier's official recommendation.

Post Likes
    I'm confused. Was the wrong coil put in to start with?

jim
    Common sense isn't very common anymore.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jim147 View Post
    I'm confused. Was the wrong coil put in to start with?
    No, Carrier specified that it could be used in either an upflow unit, or in a downflow unit by turning it around. It's just that the drip pan was mounted to be used in an upflow. So you had to provide your own drip pan to use it for downflow.

This must throw a lot of contractors for a loop if they come across it.

Post Likes
    Other than this not making any sense, is there a point to this?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by NCHeat View Post
    Other than this not making any sense, is there a point to this?
    Other than being an amusing anecdote, I think the point is that if it doesn't make sense, it's probably something that contractors would want to learn about. This A-coil was probably installed in the 70s. It's an idea that was apparently phased out by Carrier. My second contractor knew about it, but others do not. What doesn't make sense?

Post Likes
    -/\
    /--\ Correct

\--/
    -\/ Incorrect

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by hvacrmedic View Post
    -/\
    /--\ Correct

\--/
    -\/ Incorrect
    Is that regardless of whether the air goes top to bottom or bottom to top?

All I know is that I had a coil with a drip pan on both sides. I had it in each of the above orientations in the same downflow unit during different time periods, and they both worked. As it was explained to me, it came with one of the drip pans, and if you wanted to use it in a downflow configuration, then you were to turn it over so that the drip pan was on the top, and provide your own drip pan.

Palm Desert home, Bear Valley Springs home & Maui condo
    Post Likes
    OP hasn't a clue what he's talking about.
    Drain pan for coil goes on bottom for upflow or downflow- period.
    Oh- and I've been doing this since the late 60's.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by precision hvac View Post
    OP hasn't a clue what he's talking about.
    Drain pan for coil goes on bottom- period.
    Oh- and I've been doing this since the late 60's.
    First of all, I said that there was a drip pan on the bottom. Obviously, or where would the water go? I owned this unit. I was there when the contractor said, "the A-coil is upside down, look, the drain pan is on the top". I saw it with my own eyes, and there was a pan on the top. There was a smaller disintegrating drip pan at the bottom that almost looked like it was homemade. The contractor said that he was flipping this around to use the drain pan that had been on the top. This was then on the bottom. I watched him as he painfully made adjustments to this pan to keep the water from going around it. The unit cooled both before and after he made the change. When I described this later to an hvac owner, he told me that the original configuration I saw with the second drip pan provided by the installer was how this particular coil was supposed to be installed. He said "this wasn't the greatest idea that Carrier ever had". If you've been installing these since the 60's then you should know what this guy was talking about. How could I not know what I'm talking about when I'm just relating exactly what I saw and what I was told?

Post Likes
    The coil should be installed in the upright ("A" direction, not "V") with the drain pan on the bottom. The Furnace is the only thing that your reverse or install upside-down... See installation manual.

http://www.managemylife.com/mmh/lis_...L/L0211040.pdf
    You can call me Sam

It should be a crime to be a mechanical engineer in San Diego
    Summer Design Temperature: 83 F Dry Bulb ~ 69 F Wet Bulb (California Climate Zone 7)

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by hcong View Post
    The coil should be installed in the upright ("A" direction, not "V") with the drain pan on the bottom. The Furnace is the only thing that your reverse or install upside-down... See installation manual.

http://www.managemylife.com/mmh/lis_...L/L0211040.pdf
    If one were to install it upside down, would you expect any cooling?

Post Likes
    The indoor evaporator coils is cold on all parts of the coil, so no matter which way the air runs through them, they should cool the air.

Now the refrigerant travels through the coils in the same direction so certain set-ups will give slightly better cooling, but the manufacturer knows best and everything should be installed per the instruction manual.

Also, how do you put an extra drain pan on a downflow system without blocking the duct if the coil is installed upside down?
    You can call me Sam

Summer Design Temperature: 83 F Dry Bulb ~ 69 F Wet Bulb (California Climate Zone 7)

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by brucezas View Post
    If one were to install it upside down, would you expect any cooling?
    I've seen an inverted A coil. I don't remember the brand. It had a small plastic drip pan under it, factory stuff all the way. No reason it shouldn't work. It's no different in principle than a diagonal slab coil except that there's two of them at opposite angles butted together sharing a single drip pan. I'm still wondering though, if what you saw was actually an Air Seal Assembly, which resembles a pan but isn't. It's there to prevent condensate blow-off, and is removed on downflow applications. A downflow kit is required for that application. The kit contains a flat sheet metal plate that replaces the Air Seal Assembly.

Post Likes
    The indoor evaporator coils is cold on all parts of the coil, so no matter which way the air runs through them, they should cool the air.

Now the refrigerant travels through the coils in the same direction so certain set-ups will give slightly better cooling, but the manufacturer knows best and everything should be installed per the instruction manual.

Also, how do you put an extra drain pan on a downflow system without blocking the duct if the coil is installed upside down?
    The extra drain pan was much smaller than the other one. Not sure exactly how it was mounted. Do you find it impossible to believe that once upon a time there was a coil designed to work both downflow and upflow, but where Carrier expected you to flip it to use in the downflow configuration? I think that I will try to contact the owner that explained that to me and review the details with him. BTW, when we tried to use it in the downflow configuration without flipping it, with it's normal drain pan on the bottom, water blew or got sucked around the pan and into the duct. That makes sense if it wasn't intended to work that way.

Post Likes
    The coil your mention might not be a "multipoise" coil... I wonder how Carrier fixed the water being blown into the ducts problem with the new multipoise coils.
    You can call me Sam

Post Likes
    The coil your mention might not be a "multipoise" coil... I wonder how Carrier fixed the water being blown into the ducts problem with the new multipoise coils.
    We were able to fix it with some modifications. Iirc, the contractor made some little brackets to hold the pan up a little higher.

Post Likes
    What is the model number of the coil?
    Climate Control Solutions for your Home or Office

Serving Northeast Philadelphia and Surrounding Areas

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by hvacrmedic View Post
    I've seen an inverted A coil. I don't remember the brand. It had a small plastic drip pan under it, factory stuff all the way. No reason it shouldn't work. It's no different in principle than a diagonal slab coil except that there's two of them at opposite angles butted together sharing a single drip pan.
    Thank you. I thought I was losing my mind there for a minute. I hate to not know what I'm talking about.

I'm still wondering though, if what you saw was actually an Air Seal Assembly, which resembles a pan but isn't. It's there to prevent condensate blow-off, and is removed on downflow applications. A downflow kit is required for that application. The kit contains a flat sheet metal plate that replaces the Air Seal Assembly.
    I think I know what you mean because I think I just saw a picture of it. I can't find it again. I was looking for proof of what I was talking about. I didn't find that, but I saw a shallow pan looking thing with sloped edges on top of an old coil. Mine was an actual pan with right angle sides, and an attachment for a hose, and we used it as a fully functioning pan after a few mods to keep water from blowing around it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in