Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Filters at return air grills being sucked into duct

Post Likes

Filters at return air grills being sucked into duct

Hello,

New member here. Thanks for taking the time to read this.

I have two return air grills, each approximately 14x30. I began to use pleated air filters with a high Merv rating (10 or 12 I think) because I was concerned with air quality in my home. I began to notice that when the air came on, the filters would be pulled out of place, and nearly sucked into the duct because of the air pressure. I searched for grills that could trap my filters but didn't find any at the local home improvement stores. Instead, I set up some velcro around the rim of the grill. I would then attach velcro to each new filter as I installed them. This kept the filters in place. I then spoke with someone with several years of A/C experience, and he explained I shouldn't be using such a restrictive filter. He said that plain, cheap, fiberglass filters are "nearly" as good at trapping air born pollutants. Additionally, they restrict a lot less air flow and are better for your a/c unit.

I finally honored his advice and custom ordered a box of 12 fiberglass filters. Installed them, A/c came on, and up went the filters. Seems that the pressure is so high that its even pulling these less restrictive filters. Is that much air pressure normal? Should I go back to searching for a grill that can trap the filter in place? Should I stay with the cheap filters, as long as I change them out monthly?

Also, one of the returns is just outside the master bedroom. Anytime that the unit comes on and the door is only partially open, the pressure will slam the door shut. A/c guy (see above) recommended that I wedge something in the door to help the air escape more easily, and thus improve the effeciency of the unit. Thoughts?

Thanks,
    Rob

Post Likes

Wink

Not much info to go on, like Manufacturer, model# of Cond, AHU.....but it sounds like your returns are undersized, but if they are as bad as you say I can't see how your system would be running correctly.

The more info for us the better.........
    I love to Cook...HVAC is a hobby that pays the bills!

Post Likes

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by pimy View Post
    Also, one of the returns is just outside the master bedroom. Anytime that the unit comes on and the door is only partially open, the pressure will slam the door shut. A/c guy (see above) recommended that I wedge something in the door to help the air escape more easily, and thus improve the effeciency of the unit. Thoughts?
    Yeah....That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard. I'm alot dumber now that I heard that.

Post Likes

Filter Grilles

See if you can get someone to add another filter grill to the system, or in large the ones that are there.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by makinmoney View Post
    Yeah....That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard. I'm alot dumber now that I heard that.
    Actually it isn't dumb at all. The problem he describes is typical of a room that has a presurization problem due to not having enough/any return air, or a return path for air to get out of the room.

Wedging the door open is the best "free" fix for the problem...

Post Likes

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by mark beiser View Post
    Actually it isn't dumb at all. The problem he describes is typical of a room that has a presurization problem due to not having enough/any return air, or a return path for air to get out of the room.

I respectfully disagree...The HO shouldn't have to manipulate his house to get the system running correctly. That's the same as you taking your car in for service and the mechanic saying " It was only running on 7 cylinders......so, we disconnected one more, now it's a V6......That'll be $300.00.

Post Likes
    I respectfully disagree...The HO shouldn't have to manipulate his house to get the system running correctly. That's the same as you taking your car in for service and the mechanic saying " It was only running on 7 cylinders......so, we disconnected one more, now it's a V6......That'll be $300.00.
    Like I said, it is the best "free" fix for the problem. Other more correct solutions will cost money. A good part of my business is correcting pressurization issues in homes. If someone doesn't want to pay, or can't afford to pay for the real solution to the problem, blocking doors open is their only real option.

Your engine analogy is a bit over the top...

Post Likes

Talking

[QUOTE=mark beiser;1554108]Like I said, it is the best "free" fix for the problem./QUOTE]

What got fixed...........the door slamming? It sure wasn't the system! I guess anytime he wants to have some alone time with the wife, ALL he has to do is go to the stat and put the fan in manual? That way the kids wont be able to open it due to the Vacuum being created..

Post Likes
    I never said it was a good fix, there are no better "free" fixes for room pressurization issues though....

Duno why you are getting bent out of shape about it anyway, lol.

Post Likes
    You're correct, but until the problem is remedied he can help by leaving the door ajar. That's all he's saying.

Post Likes

Talking

I never said it was a good fix, there are no better "free" fixes for room pressurization issues though....

Duno why you are getting bent out of shape about it anyway, lol.
    I'm not getting mad.......my thing is that he was told to wedge the door and problem solved......There is a major problem in that house. From what we read you and I both know it.

Post Likes
    To the original question....

Not much to go on but it seems like you may be short on return. You need to get a good HVAC man out to assess the situation and possibly add more returns...including one in your mater bedroom.

Don't use the high MERV filters in the 1" size, they are way too restrictive. The cheapo fiberglass filters on the other hand flow well but are often quite flimsy. For 1" filters my choice is the economy pleats.

Post Likes
    I'm not getting mad.......my thing is that he was told to wedge the door and problem solved......There is a major problem in that house. From what we read you and I both know it.
    I have the same problem in my own house, just bought it in March, won't be reducting the house until next year.
    I have all my interior doors blocked open at the moment.

I also have one of those Rheem/Ruud furnaces with the "3 ton" blowers that are notorious for being weak. I'm running it with no filter to improve airflow until I replace it next year.

Between my 2 "free" fixes, I have dramatically improved the cooling performance of my system until I get a chance to fix it for real.

Post Likes
    Not much info to go on, like Manufacturer, model# of Cond, AHU.....but it sounds like your returns are undersized, but if they are as bad as you say I can't see how your system would be running correctly.

The more info for us the better.........
    Thank you all for the quick replies.

A/C Unit
    Manu: Carrier
    Model #: 38BRC042300
    8.38 Lbs.
    Power Supply: 208-230 Volts
    62 Hz

Compressor: P. suppy 208/230 Volts A/C
    Fan Motor: 1/4 HP
    Test Pressure Gage: HI 300 PSI, LO 150 PSI

AHU
    Manu: Carrier
    Model #: ??
    Efficiency: 80.0 AFUE
    Type: 58 RAV downflow/horizontal induced-combustion furnace
    I found the manual beneath the unit, and it is applicable to various models, each with a different size (E.g 050-08, 050-12, etc.). I can go back into my suana, err attic and measure the unit if you need that info.

Let me know if you need other information that I didn't provide.

Thanks again,
    Rob

Post Likes
    Hi,

I didn't mean to incite an argument. Mark is correct in that my A/C guy provided the advice from the perspective that it is a free fix. Keep in mind that he did recommend that I contact a local A/C guy to have the system assessed...but only if I planned to remain in this house for more than a short while. Sorry for not mentioning that sooner. Btw, imo you both have valid points.

Thanks,
    Rob

Post Likes

Yuor absolutly right...the other fix to the prob cold be get smaller doors w at least a 1"-2" gap at the bottom so it will have ample return!!!!

Post Likes
    I disagree with your disagreement......If there isnt enough gap at the bottom of the door then you'll have other prob too....Sometimes a unit can b sized rite but the home was poorly laid out....thus the home owners best choice would b to manipulate his home so he can get the correct return needed

Post Likes
    Well there is some info missing like M/N#of furnace but I guess if you have a 3.5 ton condenser you probably have a 4ton blower which is about 1400-1500 CFM. If you take that @ .1 static pressure 2-14x30 returns should be plenty. However what is the diameter of the flex attached or size of the duct behind the return vent? Also, have you checked your evap. coil? A dirty coil will cause that fan to speed up a bit. How old is this unit?
    WARNING:IF YOU DON'T KNOW THEN DON'T DO, SO THOSE WHO KNOW WHAT YOU DIDN'T KNOW DON'T END UP UNDOING WHAT YOU DID SO IT COULD GET DONE RIGHT!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by AcDOCnTRAINIG View Post
    Well there is some info missing like M/N#of furnace but I guess if you have a 3.5 ton condenser you probably have a 4ton blower which is about 1400-1500 CFM. If you take that @ .1 static pressure 2-14x30 returns should be plenty. However what is the diameter of the flex attached or size of the duct behind the return vent? Also, have you checked your evap. coil? A dirty coil will cause that fan to speed up a bit. How old is this unit?
    I believe the unit was installed when the house was built. That would make it 10 years old. I'll check the unit again to see if there is a manufactured date on it. I know very little about how these things work...many of the the terms you used are quite foreign to me, but I'm learning as I go.

Duct #1 (near master - slamming door)
    Diameter (min): 13
    Diameter (max): 14

Duct #2 (near other bedrooms), more oval than circular
    Diameter (min): 14
    Diameter (max): 17

I'll try to find the M/n for the furnance later tonight or tomorrow. Are they typically located on the underside? Backside?

As for the evap coil, don't know anything about that...I need to do some research first. I can tell you that I haven't had it cleaned since I've lived here (3.5 years).

Thanks,
    Rob

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by James Tramel View Post

Yuor absolutly right...the other fix to the prob cold be get smaller doors w at least a 1"-2" gap at the bottom so it will have ample return!!!!
    I don't know if you were kidding...so I measured. There's approximately 1 inch clearance under the master doorway (double doors btw). That seems consistent with the other doorways in my home.

Cheers,
    Rob

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in