Thread: What kind of chiller is this?

Post Likes

What kind of chiller is this?

This chiller, it looks like it is an aircooled chiller.

How does it compress the refrigerent? It does not make the typical chiller sound I am used to hearing, much quieter.

How old is it, and how many tons? Should I be budgeting for replacement and if so, what is a good option?

It is unusual for me to see a chiller at a small, 8,000 sf building, which unfortunately, is a reheat system, very high utility bills, but I have not figured out any way to convert it to a better system.

Thanks everyone for being so helpful.

Name:  007.jpg
Views: 2183
Size:  59.6 KBName:  030.jpg
Views: 2256
Size:  50.6 KB

Post Likes
    It's 25 tons, I believe It's manufactured in 1993 if I'm reading the serial number correctly, nice unit, I work on a lot similar but the 15 ton capacity.

Sent from ivy PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

Post Likes
    Carrier numbers are bigger than capacity so probably a hair under 25 ton. Likely has a Carlyle semihermetic. Those are not known for being quiet!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Maikerum View Post
    This chiller, it looks like it is an aircooled chiller.

How does it compress the refrigerent? It does not make the typical chiller sound I am used to hearing, much quieter.

How old is it, and how many tons? Should I be budgeting for replacement and if so, what is a good option?

It is unusual for me to see a chiller at a small, 8,000 sf building, which unfortunately, is a reheat system, very high utility bills, but I have not figured out any way to convert it to a better system.

Thanks everyone for being so helpful.

Name:  007.jpg
Views: 2183
Size:  59.6 KBName:  030.jpg
Views: 2256
Size:  50.6 KB
    Not small chiller for that building. It can take care of fresh air.
    As for re-heat strategy was the old school when electricity was dirt cheap. Today, it is illigal to engineer that. As for this building, It will requires better strategies and DDC logics to reduce the elctric bills. The owner would never understand the up-front cost and the saving in the long run.

Post Likes
    It is a little over 20 tons (024 = 20tons) and was made the 45th week of 1993. It should be a standard Carlyle cast iron compressor with one or two unloaders, most likely suction cut-off unloading.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by BaldLoonie View Post
    Carrier numbers are bigger than capacity so probably a hair under 25 ton. Likely has a Carlyle semihermetic. Those are not known for being quiet!
    A Carlyle semi-hermetic is more quiet than a 19XR centrifugal with no sound kit!
    Psychrometrics: the very foundation of HVAC. A comfort troubleshooter's best friend.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Shophound View Post
    A Carlyle semi-hermetic is more quiet than a 19XR centrifugal with no sound kit!
    I don't think that you are going to find a 20-25 ton centrifugal chiller. :-) The compressor is enclosed in a cabinet and they are usually quiet enough. Good chillers for the most part as long as you have enough water and a load on them. The one in this post is probably showing its age.

...Ron
    Roof Rat

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by rscamaro View Post
    I don't think that you are going to find a 20-25 ton centrifugal chiller. :-) The compressor is enclosed in a cabinet and they are usually quiet enough. Good chillers for the most part as long as you have enough water and a load on them. The one in this post is probably showing its age.

...Ron
    True on the tonnage aspect. But if you put up a rack of Carlyle 06E's (as many higher tonnage recip chillers have) against a screaming 19XR in a loudness contest, I think the high pressure centrifugal would still win. The 06E's purr in comparision to that ear drum shattering squeal.

OTOH a large tonnage recip chiller (one or two large compressors) can crank out some sound.
    Psychrometrics: the very foundation of HVAC. A comfort troubleshooter's best friend.

Post Likes
    My church has 2 condensing units behind the parish hall. One looks like the chiller pictured except DX, the other is a notch smaller, maybe a 15 ton. When they are on, between the Carlyles and the fans, you can hear them for a block. The big boy for the sanctuary is behind a stone wall 15' high. 1 Carlyle on isn't too bad and fortunately that usually does it. But both on, walking across the courtyard you sure hear them. But then I can remember hearing one centrifugal in the past. Don't recall if Trane or Carrier. Had a loud whine seems to me.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by BaldLoonie View Post
    But then I can remember hearing one centrifugal in the past. Don't recall if Trane or Carrier. Had a loud whine seems to me.
    That would be correct in some cases. Different impellers creat different sounds. Speed can make a difference in pitch too.

...Ron
    Roof Rat

Post Likes
    That would be correct in some cases. Different impellers creat different sounds. Speed can make a difference in pitch too.

...Ron
    Probably a 23XL.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Dallas Duster View Post
    Probably a 23XL.
    That would be a screw machine, which sometimes sound like a box of rocks when running. Only the special ones though.

...Ron
    Roof Rat

Post Likes
    That would be a screw machine, which sometimes sound like a box of rocks when running. Only the special ones though.

...Ron
    Yep those things are loud.

Post Likes
    Well, I understand that it is a 20 ton unit made in 1993, anyway.

I could not follow most of the rest of the posts.

It is working well, and like I said, it is pretty quiet. It is getting old though, so I am wondering in how many years I need to plan to replace it.

I certainly understand the disadvantages of reheat, but it has been hard to figure out how, in this building, to retrofit to something else.

Thanks, everyone, for all the help.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Maikerum View Post
    Well, I understand that it is a 20 ton unit made in 1993, anyway.

I could not follow most of the rest of the posts.

It is working well, and like I said, it is pretty quiet. It is getting old though, so I am wondering in how many years I need to plan to replace it.

I certainly understand the disadvantages of reheat, but it has been hard to figure out how, in this building, to retrofit to something else.

Thanks, everyone, for all the help.
    I would say run it until you have cooler barrel breach . Those compressors are plentiful and the chiller design is pretty straight forward.

It's hard to say when to replace it there are a lot of older chillers out there and there a lot that have been replaced. I would also add that as long as the water treatment is in good shape you cooler barrel should be too and that's pretty much the determining factor in replacement if you ask me.

Post Likes
    Thanks, that is a great explanation. I appreciate you following up on my comment with this advice.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by just_opinion View Post
    As for re-heat strategy was the old school when electricity was dirt cheap. Today, it is illigal to engineer that.
    I've see many new buildings that use re-heat. Especially churches with the wooden pews and million dollar organs.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by R123 View Post
    I've see many new buildings that use re-heat.
    Especially churches with the wooden pews and million dollar organs.
    Re heat still used today, hydronic on a/h's, vav's with electric reheat an so on. If you dont have re heat in a comm building how are you gonna control humidity withou overcooling

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in