Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Did not have the right cap. in truck? help

Post Likes

Confused Did not have the right cap. in truck? help

I went on my monthly pm service this Fri. and its out far away from any a/c supply. Well i found out one of the compressors wasn't coming on, so i checked it out and it was a bloated capacitor, checked all my other electrical for tightness everything was good, i had just recently replaced the comp, the cap, and the cool contactor. so maybe it as a bad cap or something. OK so i didn't have a 35/440 in my van but, i did have 35/370 and a start kit. i thought i give it try and it worked. i have never tried it before i always replace a bad cap with the correct capacitor. it is only temp. until i go back out there in a week or two. Has anyone tried this before? Could this cause a problem? The place is like 2 hours away in the middle of nowhere. well thanks for your help guys. oh and the charge was good.

Post Likes
    440 volts is 440 volts. I'm not a pro but you should up your post count and apply for pro status and the pro forum can help I'm sure. Not any tech talk on the resi side.

Post Likes
    Shouldn't do any harm other then not starting under certain conditions, but you do need to replace it.

When you restock your truck, only stock with 440v capacitors. You can go up on voltage, but not down. A 440v capacitor will be a little better on a compressor designed to be able to start with a 370v capacitor.
    Training is important!
    Practical Training is a must!

Post Likes
    thanks roboteq, yeah i know about the 440 being better but the lead tech gets angry and snitches to the boss, if we don't install 370 if that's what the comp calls for. He's an ******* sometimes. well thanks man ill change it out when I'm out there again.

For me to become a pro member i have to post 15 time right? well that's what I'm trying to do.

Post Likes
    Roboteq, As you know im still being schooled in the arts of HVAC and I believe this is what I went over last phase.

Would this cause the start windings to overheat and possibly trip overload protector?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by onisius View Post
    thanks roboteq, yeah i know about the 440 being better but the lead tech gets angry and snitches to the boss, if we don't install 370 if that's what the comp calls for. He's an ******* sometimes. well thanks man ill change it out when I'm out there again.

For me to become a pro member i have to post 15 time right? well that's what I'm trying to do.
    Your 15 posts don't need to be anything spectacular. Hell, just ramble a little about yourself or post how you have always admired me and that is why you want to be a pro-member
    We'll be looking forward to your application. Try to include a copy of your cfc cert.
    Training is important!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfer View Post
    Roboteq, As you know im still being schooled in the arts of HVAC and I believe this is what I went over last phase.

Would this cause the start windings to overheat and possibly trip overload protector?
    Yep; low voltage = high amps = heat energy.
    Training is important!

Post Likes
    The voltage value of a run capacitor, is the internal electrical insulation value it has. Not what voltage the compressor will run at.

Post Likes
    it will be fine temporaly but you do ave to change it. The fact you added a start assist may help it last a little longer but if you ave 400 or so volts the cap will pop

Post Likes
    Installing a 370v run cap in place of a 440v run cap won't have any affect on the starting of the compressor, but it will tend to not last as long.
    If the compressor actually requires a 440v cap, the 370v one may have a very short life.

Installing a 440v cap in place of a 370v one is never a bad thing, so I try to only stock 440v capacitors.

Post Likes
    I am prety sure that the voltage that is read on the capacitor is the rated "apparent voltage"..... this is the applied vlotage from the power company along with (but not aditive) the back electro motive force generated in the field windings of the compressor at start up.... If I am wrong about this.... then please educate me.................. thanx

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by coronado2412 View Post
    I am prety sure that the voltage that is read on the capacitor is the rated "apparent voltage"..... this is the applied vlotage from the power company along with (but not aditive) the back electro motive force generated in the field windings of the compressor at start up.... If I am wrong about this.... then please educate me.................. thanx
    Yes

Post Likes
    oops

Post Likes

Wink Please let me in!

Quote Originally Posted by RoBoTeq View Post
    Your 15 posts don't need to be anything spectacular. Hell, just ramble a little about yourself or post how you have always admired me and that is why you want to be a pro-member
    We'll be looking forward to your application. Try to include a copy of your cfc cert.
    I just realized that I have 14 posts here. So I'm going to take RoBoTeq's advice and let him know how much I admire him and that he's my idol and that is the biggest reason I would like to be considered for pro membership.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by mldncx1 View Post
    I just realized that I have 14 posts here. So I'm going to take RoBoTeq's advice and let him know how much I admire him and that he's my idol and that is the biggest reason I would like to be considered for pro membership.

oh no
    here we go another ROBO follower this place is turning into a ROBO CULT

Post Likes
    robo for President!!

Thanks guys for your help, i will replace it for sure if i am around that area and if I'm not for sure in a week or two. How many post those this make? lol

Post Likes

Stock 440's & be Right Either Way

Robo & me agree on nearly everything, Robo for president.

I also totally agree with beenthere & mark beiser, the real difference between 370-volt & 440-volt capacitors is that 440's have more insulation to withstand possible 440-volts.

I always stocked 440's in the various MFD ratings, makes you right either way, when replacing 370's. There is NO reason to condemn anyone replacing a better insulated 440 for a 370-volt capacitor. - Darrell

Post Likes
    Who's this Robo guy
    Not what it use to be

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by udarrell View Post
    Robo & me agree on nearly everything, Robo for president.

I also totally agree with beenthere & mark beiser, the real difference between 370-volt & 440-volt capacitors is that 440's have more insulation to withstand possible 440-volts.

I always stocked 440's in the various MFD ratings, makes you right either way, when replacing 370's. There is NO reason to condemn anyone replacing a better insulated 440 for a 370-volt capacitor. - Darrell
    Well put. I couldn't agree more.

I only stock 440 caps in my truck. The voltage rating is what the capacitor is rated for, nothing more. When stocking a service van, your goal is to have the most usable parts you can possibly carry.

So your system you worked on is more than likely a 208V or 240V system, so either cap will work.

And if your boss is that stingy, maybe you need to log onto this site and let him get educated a little bit. We'll put him in his place.
    I fully support the military and the War on Terrorism.

If you don't know, then don't do. If you don't know and still do, then be prepared to pay someone else a lot to undo what you did and then do it right.

If you do know, then do. But do it right. Otherwise, you may not be doing it long.

Post Likes

Educated

Quote Originally Posted by iraqveteran View Post
    Well put. I couldn't agree more.

I only stock 440 caps in my truck. The voltage rating is what the capacitor is rated for, nothing more. When stocking a service van, your goal is to have the most usable parts you can possibly carry.

So your system you worked on is more than likely a 208V or 240V system, so either cap will work.

And if your boss is that stingy, maybe you need to log onto this site and let him get educated a little bit. We'll put him in his place.
    Well I just got an education. I always thought it was the output to the compressor on heavy load. Thanks for the info. Never bothered checking my assumption.

Goes to prove when you think you seen it all. There is always something that will make you take your hat off, scratch your head and say it ain't supposed to do that.
    Last edited by meoberry; 08-03-2008 at 12:41 PM. Reason: typo

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in