+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flooded Two Pipe Steam System

Post Likes

Flooded Two Pipe Steam System

A bypass valve on the feedwater line was opened by a janitor. The entire system flooded, two floors. We drained all the water we could at the boiler. Fired the boiler back up and began making steam. The problem is we are not getting hot through atleast half the building. The system was working fine before the flood. No cool spots and everyone was happy. What should be my next course of action? Haven't run into this problem before.

Post Likes
    Have you verified that the air has been removed from the system. Steam will not travel down the line if air is in the system.

Have you checked that air vents are working correctly. How about the steam traps.
    How many floors are in the building.
    What is the the steam pressure in the system.
    How large is the boiler or BTU rating.
    Is there a condensate pump in place and possibly a receiver.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jodaddy1956 View Post
    A bypass valve on the feedwater line was opened by a janitor. The entire system flooded, two floors. We drained all the water we could at the boiler. Fired the boiler back up and began making steam. The problem is we are not getting hot through atleast half the building. The system was working fine before the flood. No cool spots and everyone was happy. What should be my next course of action? Haven't run into this problem before.
    thats is very weird! cause the boiler water level is controlled by a float that turns on/off the feed water pump, opening the bypass valve would overflow the condensated receiver not the boiler.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by valdelocc View Post
    thats is very weird! cause the boiler water level is controlled by a float that turns on/off the feed water pump, opening the bypass valve would overflow the condensated receiver not the boiler.
    I have seen where they have piped a bypass right to the boiler. Stupid but they are out there.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Join http://scopeny.org/ Shooter’s Committee on Political Education

The world is full of sheep,try not to join the flock.

Support the Skilled Trades, Don't DIY

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by qwerty hvac View Post
    I have seen where they have piped a bypass right to the boiler. Stupid but they are out there.

What kind of bypass you taking about? I'm taking about the make up water solenoid bypass, when the water level gets low in the receiver the float powers the solenoid valve allowing street water into the tank.
    I have never seen a commercial steam boiler with cold make up water piped directly into the boiler. next time you come across one please take a picture.

Post Likes
    What kind of bypass you taking about? I'm taking about the make up water solenoid bypass, when the water level gets low in the receiver the float powers the solenoid valve allowing street water into the tank.
    I have never seen a commercial steam boiler with cold make up water piped directly into the boiler. next time you come across one please take a picture.
    I have seen a few where they pipe it right to the boiler with a valve. I figured it was to fast fill it after it has been drained. Normally I will see a bypass around the PRV. But these were piped after the PRV bypassing the condensate tank. I will take a pic of the on I am thinking about if I go there again. I can see if someone didn't know what valve they were opening filling the whole system.

Post Likes
    I have seen a few where they pipe it right to the boiler with a valve. I figured it was to fast fill it after it has been drained. Normally I will see a bypass around the PRV. But these were piped after the PRV bypassing the condensate tank. I will take a pic of the on I am thinking about if I go there again. I can see if someone didn't know what valve they were opening filling the whole system.

That brings another question, why would a PRV be needed in a condensated receiver? I'm use to see PRV's with hot water boilers no with steam cause the water pressure is pretty much irrelevant.

Also if the make up water was piped directly into the boiler, the street pressure 40lb to 80lb would had been higher than the 15LB opening pressure of the boilers relief valve, the whole scenario is flawed and weird, dont you think?

Post Likes
    I've heard of some systems use pressure differential to lift water out heaters below the condensate line. if they're full of water, steam would not be able to clear lines of the water.

water in rads/traps holding the thermostatic elements closed?
    Col 3:23

questions asked, answers received, ignorance abated

Post Likes
    I changed out a makeup water float assembly on a 50 gallon condensate receiver last friday. I believe it was a Hoffman. The tank nameplate said max inlet water pressure was 30 psi and a prv would need to be installed if water pressure was higher.
    Chaos equals cash$$$

Post Likes

Pretty much every commercial boiler I've come across in NYC has a city water feed piped directly to the boiler. The pipe with the green arrows is the city water feed.

Post Likes
    Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1356658404.442206.jpg
Views: 1228
Size:  40.6 KBName:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1356658416.241167.jpg
Views: 1410
Size:  56.5 KB

Here is one that I was talking about. PRV on the makeup water.

Sent from my iPhone 4s
    using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    I see it all the time. When you drain a large boiler for inspection you can use the feed to refill the boiler on initial startup. Otherwise you will have to fill with your pump from the condensate receiver tank. On a 300-400 HP boiler that can take a while, I usually fill to the sight glass with the city water supply then valve it off and let the low water cut off fill the rest of the way with the condensate pump.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by marylandtech View Post
    I see it all the time. When you drain a large boiler for inspection you can use the feed to refill the boiler on initial startup. Otherwise you will have to fill with your pump from the condensate receiver tank. On a 300-400 HP boiler that can take a while, I usually fill to the sight glass with the city water supply then valve it off and let the low water cut off fill the rest of the way with the condensate pump.
    No a common practice in my neck of the woods, typically the make up (street) water, goes through the filters,softener and to the condensate receiver. I wouldn't put raw,untreated water in,and wouldnt pipe it directly into the boiler for the obvious reason.

Post Likes
    No a common practice in my neck of the woods, typically the make up (street) water, goes through the filters,softener and to the condensate receiver. I wouldn't put raw,untreated water in,and wouldnt pipe it directly into the boiler for the obvious reason.
    Thats a great point that for some reason I overlooked. But true that I am dumping "untreated " water into the boiler. Although Im sure it is not there long before it is "diluted" with the treated makeup.

Post Likes
    Whenever we fill the boiler up with city water after draining it, we dump the chemicals in thru the manhole.

Post Likes
    I think you may have air in system.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by oshieldsa14 View Post
    I think you may have air in system.
    You realize we are talking about steam system?

Post Likes
    You realize we are talking about steam system?

Lol

Post Likes
    yea its called steam locking or air binding

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by oshieldsa14 View Post
    yea its called steam locking or air binding
    But that would not cause it to flood would it? If the air is trapped then water will not get past it.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in