+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Load Calculation

Post Likes

Load Calculation

Hi guys,

I just stated school for HVAC about 4 months ago I am in a load calculation course which is just plan overwhelming. A lot has to do with the teacher teaching it who is not doing a good job of it. Do HVAC companies usually have computer software to calculate heat gains or loss and what size system to install? Do professionals walk in with a pen and paper and start calculating all these factors in determining size of unit?

Post Likes
    Software is a crutch....Do I use software? Hell yes . Can I do it the long way?...yep because doing it the long way teaches you the fundamentals as opposed to not knowing where the numbers come from. It you get a "non-standard" wall assembly....you can figure out what the best answer is.
    I wish I had a $1.00 for every response I deleted.....

"Decidedly Superior in a twisted pathetic way".....

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by beshvac View Post
    Software is a crutch....Do I use software? Hell yes . Can I do it the long way?...yep because doing it the long way teaches you the fundamentals as opposed to not knowing where the numbers come from. It you get a "non-standard" wall assembly....you can figure out what the best answer is.
    X2
    Make your expertise uniquely valuable.

Make your influence uniquely far-reaching.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by mikem201 View Post
    Hi guys,

I just stated school for HVAC about 4 months ago I am in a load calculation course which is just plan overwhelming. A lot has to do with the teacher teaching it who is not doing a good job of it. Do HVAC companies usually have computer software to calculate heat gains or loss and what size system to install? Do professionals walk in with a pen and paper and start calculating all these factors in determining size of unit?
    You are going to spend the rest of your time in this profession learning. First thing to learn is that you will seldom find the "teacher" will be talking or teaching you in a way that you agree with. The key to learning is to ignore the delivery and concentrate on the information. Most of what any of us know in this industry was not learned in a structured class. Actually I've found over the years I learn far more on breaks.

Load calculations are just that calculations. Information is put into mathmatical formulas and out comes answers. Software or not, someone has to gather and input the information. Input sheets are critical in doing load calcs so that if you're experience tells you the answer the software came up with doesn't sound ........ right, you have your hand written input sheets to go back and see if you input the correct figures. The smallest little mistake can make MAJOR changes in the outcome.

Take from your classes the "why" of the information so that when you start doing it for a living you will be able to feel certain the answer you get is accurate.
    Use the biggest hammer you like, pounding a square peg into a round hole does not equal a proper fit.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by mikem201 View Post
    Hi guys,

You need to just keep working it until you get it. When I first started doing Manual J & D calculations, I would get upset and want to throw things. It was frustrating as anything. Just keep doing it until it no longer creates a reaction and you know that you are on you way to understanding it.

Believe me, you will get through it. Most important part is the field measurements. Doing it manually is a very good exercise to gaining a full understanding of the whole process. If you only use a software program, you will be lost without it. By being able to do the pen and paper method, you will be able to "think on your feet" when the odd situation arises.

HTH
    Can someone please explain to me -
    Why is there never enough time to do it right the first time, but plenty of time to do it twice?

Please view site rules: http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=1241

Apply for Pro Membership: http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=116113

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in