Thread: Replace 10 SEER with 13 SEER.

Post Likes

Replace 10 SEER with 13 SEER.

I live in the Dallas area and I sprung a small leak in the copper piping leading into my evaporatoer in my upstairs AC system. I was given the option to replace with an equivalent part or with a "13 SEER" rated part for a couple hundred bucks more (total cost).

I realize that 13 SEER is not a rating for the parts in the house but that those parts need to be matched/rated appropriately.

After doing some reading on 13 SEER systems, I had some concerns that depending on implementation, installation, etc. having them put that equipment into my existing system, even if I replaced the necessary equipment outside, wouldn't give me even close to a 30% improvement in efficiency.

Any comments?

Thanks!

Post Likes
    If its just a leak in the line, fix the leak.
    If its in the coil, you can replace it with a new coil rated for use with 13 SEER OD units.

Remember, nothing says your getting 10 SEER from your 10 SEER unit.
    If your only getting 8 SEER from it, a 13 SEER might get 11 SEER, same savings either way.
    In reality, you only get around a 15 to 20% savings going from 10 to 13 SEER.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jewood69 View Post
    I live in the Dallas area and I sprung a small leak in the copper piping leading into my evaporatoer in my upstairs AC system. I was given the option to replace with an equivalent part or with a "13 SEER" rated part for a couple hundred bucks more (total cost).

I realize that 13 SEER is not a rating for the parts in the house but that those parts need to be matched/rated appropriately.

After doing some reading on 13 SEER systems, I had some concerns that depending on implementation, installation, etc. having them put that equipment into my existing system, even if I replaced the necessary equipment outside, wouldn't give me even close to a 30% improvement in efficiency.

Any comments?

Thanks!
    Why not just fix the leak. Is it actually in the evaporator or in the pipe leading to it as you stated?
    Last edited by skwsproul; 05-21-2008 at 05:58 PM.
    "It's always controls"

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    If its just a leak in the line, fix the leak.
    If its in the coil, you can replace it with a new coil rated for use with 13 SEER OD units.

Remember, nothing says your getting 10 SEER from your 10 SEER unit.
    If your only getting 8 SEER from it, a 13 SEER might get 11 SEER, same savings either way.
    In reality, you only get around a 15 to 20% savings going from 10 to 13 SEER.
    Yep. Must have been typing at the same time.
    "It's always controls"

Post Likes
    As far as the price being higher for a 13 SEER coil. He is not being ripped of.

Your forgetting some additional things that need done when doing that.
    Don't state that people are being taken advantage of from their vague post.
    Last edited by beenthere; 05-21-2008 at 06:02 PM.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    As far as the price being higher for a 13 SEER coil. He is not being ripped of.

Your forgetting some additional things that need done when doing that.
    Don't state that prople are being taken advantage of from their vague post.
    True. Yep. Oops brainfart. Duh coil is bigger. I fixed it thanks. Now everyone will wonder what we are talking about. LOL
    "It's always controls"

Post Likes
    I was wondering about fixing the leak. The main copper pipe comes in and braches out to the different parts/elements. It is right about there that the leak is.

The company that came out was contracted with the home warranty people so I was thinking about calling one of the bigger names in the area and asking them for a quote on repair.

Post Likes
    If its in the 3/8" line, it can be repaired. Unless its at the piston holder.

many times, the question isn't can it be repaired, but should it be repaired.

Good chance the larger companies won't accept what your home warranty company pays for repairs. Also, as a rule, repair estimates are not free.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in