Thread: Carrier 58CTA & Themostat Question

Post Likes
    Hello.
    I will be having a Carrier Performance 80 (Two-stage) non-vairable speed furnace installed. A very reliable local Heating company will be doing the work. The original quote person said my current programable thermostat (Hunter from Lowe's) will do the trick?
    I'm not sure about this as I don't think it's a "Two Stage" Thermostat. Do I need a Two Stage Thermostat? Or will the system work without but not as well?
    Should I buy a Carrier themostat or is there a good aftermarket one that you all would recommend?

Thanks

Post Likes
    whats the model #?
    your stat should do the trick, the board on the furnace is what controls the "2" stages of heat mode.

Post Likes
    Hunter Model #44110.

I've researched the thermostat and it's not. My heating company said the samething. The furnace control board will control the stages and that my themostat will do the trick. I just wanted to double check?
    Thanks.

[Edited by dro1984 on 09-27-2005 at 07:47 PM]

Post Likes
    You would get the most out of your two-stage furnace with a two stage stat. It will work with a single stage stat by a timer on the control board. Usually 2nd stage firing 10 min after 1st stage ingnites. It will shut both off when Thermostat satisfied. With two-stage stat, you will get faster control over when 2nd stage is needed. 2nd stage will be satidfied first and than run on 1st stage till T-stat is satidfied. So with the two-stage stat it will be controlled by temp needs.

Post Likes

58CTA Performance 80: Two-stage heating with single-stage thermostat

No, 58CTA does not need two-stage thermostat.

58CTA Performance 80 is designed to provide two-stage heating with single-stage thermostat. Please refer to Carrier's own website. It mentions is clearly:

http://www.commercial.carrier.com/co...PRD688,00.html

Quote Originally Posted by Chill View Post
    You would get the most out of your two-stage furnace with a two stage stat. It will work with a single stage stat by a timer on the control board. Usually 2nd stage firing 10 min after 1st stage ingnites. It will shut both off when Thermostat satisfied. With two-stage stat, you will get faster control over when 2nd stage is needed. 2nd stage will be satidfied first and than run on 1st stage till T-stat is satidfied. So with the two-stage stat it will be controlled by temp needs.

Post Likes
    I agree with RTS. You should not need two stage stat.

Post Likes
    I've read so much about people just terribly against using single stage thermostat for two stage furnace. However, Carrier/Bryant has a nice Two--Stage Heating (Adaptive mode) with Single--Stage Thermostat. This is how it works:

The low--heat only switch (LHT) selects either the
    low--heat only operation mode when ON, (see item 2. below) or
    the adaptive heating mode when OFF in response to a call for
    heat. When the W2 thermostat terminal is energized
    it will always cause high--heat operation when the R to W circuit
    is closed, regardless of the setting of the low--heat only switch.
    This furnace can operate as a two--stage furnace with a
    single--stage thermostat because the furnace control CPU includes
    a programmed adaptive sequence of controlled operation, which
    selects low--heat or high--heat operation. This selection is based
    upon the stored history of the length of previous gas--heating
    periods of the single--stage thermostat.
    The furnace will start up in either low-- or high--heat. If the
    furnace starts up in low--heat, the control CPU determines the
    low--heat on--time (from 0 to 16 minutes) which is permitted
    before switching to high--heat.
    If the power is interrupted, the stored history is erased and the
    control CPU will select low--heat for up to 16 minutes and then
    switch to high--heat, as long as the thermostat continues to call for
    heat. Subsequent selection is based on stored history of the
    thermostat cycle times.

Post Likes

Try a Honeywell

Although the Carrier thermostat would be the better choice, if you had it installed with you furnace by reputable installer... failing that get any of the touch based Honeywells if you going to DIY... as the documentation for DIY'ers is well done.

Post Likes
    The reason to buy a 2 stage furnace is long run cycles on low heat in bitter weather. More comfort, quieter. You cannot have that without a 2 stage thermostat. The furnace will start on low then time to high, period. Then satisfy the stat and shut off. Then repeat and repeat. By comparison, a 2 stage stat knows what the house NEEDS.

Your car on a cold morning, do you turn the heat higher just as the car warms up? Of course not. Those advocating using a single stage stat are suggesting just that. Sure doesn't make sense. The COMFORTABLE way is to turn the heat to a gentle low as the car gets warm. Just like a 2 stage stat will on a cold day.

Post Likes
    The CTA does not NEED a two stage thermostat for proper operation. It will use the board algorithym to stage heating. But why not get a Carrier TP-PHP for programmable operation to optimize the efficiency of your new furnace. Ask your dealer about the extended warranty option for the furnace and the thermostat for either 5 or 10 year parts and labor. Then you will not have to go to Lowes to replace your thermostat for the next 10 years. Lowes is for lumber, not HVAC.

Post Likes
    I install mainly carrier units. alot of 2 stage 90 variable speed units. the adaptive board in the carrier unit works great and have not had any complaints when using a single stage t stat.

Post Likes

my carrier model 58 CTA heater won't stop!

Hi, I would like to share my experience in using the carrier heater and thermostat here.
    I have my heater and thermostat installed last year. Last weak, I felt very very hot and found out that my thermostat is already 99 degree ( I set it at 66 degree) but my heater was still running.
    I was so scared that I turned everything off.
    I am now calling the company who installed my heater to see if they will fix it.
    Did any body has the same experience like me? Any suggestion?
    Rebecca.

Post Likes
    I don't think any 2 stage furnace needs a 2 stage stat to operate.
    But you'll find that most people are more comfortable when they have a 2 stage stat controlling the furnace.

A 2 stage stat will hold that furnace in first stage longer. Making it feel more comfortble when it gets colder out by having the longer run time.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by rkychung View Post
    Hi, I would like to share my experience in using the carrier heater and thermostat here.
    I have my heater and thermostat installed last year. Last weak, I felt very very hot and found out that my thermostat is already 99 degree ( I set it at 66 degree) but my heater was still running.
    I was so scared that I turned everything off.
    I am now calling the company who installed my heater to see if they will fix it.
    Did any body has the same experience like me? Any suggestion?
    Rebecca.
    Could be acouple things. Its under warranty.
    No reason to second guess whats wrong before the installing contractor checks it.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in