+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stumbled upon this work of stupid.....

Post Likes

Stumbled upon this work of stupid.....

If a day goes by and you have learned nothing, I hope you got a lot of sleep.

Post Likes
    wow flex leading to black pipe.why why why

Flex duct every where

using the cleanout to connect other drains.

Damn cheap labor damn it all to hackery

Post Likes
    Bet that rooms gonna smell real nice with all those sewer gasses.... Hope those lines don't rupture and short those outlets out either!

Post Likes
    The gas flexible appliance connector is illegal where it is. It may be used between the end of the steel pipe with an approved shutoff within 3 feet of the appliance valve. It can not be used as part of the gas "piping".

Those water heaters don't appear to have wet switches in their pans, which is sad because that unit in the rear appears to be sitting in water and spillage onto the attic decking.

Those condensate drains must empty into standpipes with an air gap and the standpipe must have a 'P' trap. DWV cannot vent inside the building with the exception of AAVs where and how approved.

I doubt that running trap is doing didley.

Do you have a shot of the rest of the B-vent?

Post Likes
    i just think flex looks crappy. we are allowed to use it here.But hacksare getting carried a way with it

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by hearthman View Post
    The gas flexible appliance connector is illegal where it is. It may be used between the end of the steel pipe with an approved shutoff within 3 feet of the appliance valve. It can not be used as part of the gas "piping".
    The flexible connector just before the furnace is perfectly fine, exactly the way they are supposed to be used.
    The yellow gas pipe on the left, before the section of iron pipe, is CSST, also perfectly fine.
    The short piece of galvanized pipe may not be completely kosher though.

Post Likes
    I came up with almost 24 hours worth of recommendations and I have not even done the maintenance.

Something you cant see in the pictures, there is 3.5 pounds of natural gas pressure, there are absolutely no supports on the flue vents, which go at a 45 degree angle for over 20 feet, the units are not screwed down at all, just sitting on the sheet metal sleepers, the far water heater is leaking and there are no dielectric fittings, there is no ground in the outlets, nor are there any GFCI's, the flue caps on the roof are missing (probably blew off in the 50 MPH winds that frequent this area)....

Probably get the PM in the next few weeks then we can really go to work critiquing this pile of poo.... But hey, it was cheap!

Also too, the appliance flex is about the only legal part about this install...

GT

Post Likes
    thats not a clean out ..... the installer added that to the vent pipe

notice the fernco .... but still not right

Post Likes
    Correct me if I'm wrong, if the Cleanout is below a sewer line and the sewer line backs up wouldn't the pressure push the poop out of the vent?

Post Likes
    Any comments on the venting theory?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by mark beiser View Post
    The flexible connector just before the furnace is perfectly fine, exactly the way they are supposed to be used.
    The yellow gas pipe on the left, before the section of iron pipe, is CSST, also perfectly fine.
    The short piece of galvanized pipe may not be completely kosher though.
    I agree that gas line and trap from shut off to unit is passed and accepted always in our area, i dont see an issue with it.. I dont mess with csst yet so im not sure about that..they looked like they tried to be neat ,as they started off level and with the gas line being secured, a nice pan, feet, gas trap, etc but the condensate trap isnt correct and the extra 24v wire is waste and ridiculous as well..

its not the worst ive seen by far ! LOL

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by GT Jets View Post
    I came up with almost 24 hours worth of recommendations and I have not even done the maintenance.

Something you cant see in the pictures, there is 3.5 pounds of natural gas pressure, there are absolutely no supports on the flue vents, which go at a 45 degree angle for over 20 feet, the units are not screwed down at all, just sitting on the sheet metal sleepers, the far water heater is leaking and there are no dielectric fittings, there is no ground in the outlets, nor are there any GFCI's, the flue caps on the roof are missing (probably blew off in the 50 MPH winds that frequent this area)....

Probably get the PM in the next few weeks then we can really go to work critiquing this pile of poo.... But hey, it was cheap!

Also too, the appliance flex is about the only legal part about this install...

GT

24 hrs? I could replace everything in the attic in 18 with all new stuff, you must be slow or joking..or worse charge by the hour !! LOL

Post Likes
    Before the crap got that high it would have flooded the house, but the concern of sewage fumes is High, especially with that rigged condensate trap, although creative. It seems like it would have been easier to drain condensate out side conventionaly instead of putting the fittings together like that. I am not a fan of csst or flexable lengths to furnace's, but I am sure I will come around to it as it becomes more common. Just used to steel and copper but, as price of copper and Labor go up every one will be doing it soon.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by acguytx View Post
    24 hrs? I could replace everything in the attic in 18 with all new stuff, you must be slow or joking..or worse charge by the hour !! LOL
    No you couldn't.... The biggest problem is that EVERYTHING that was done was done improperly.

This list is both long and distinguished.

There has to be gas pressure regulators installed, an air balance, outside air intakes added, circuits for the water heaters separated and GFCI outlets added (after pulling new wire because of the lack of grounds in the main panel), condensate traps redone, using a pump for dealing with the condensate, the flue needs to be redone with new roof penetrations because of the way they cut through the roof (the flue venting is literally glued to the roof decking with mastic), one of the systems needs to be leak checked and repaired, there are also some seed drying equipment that needs to be repaired.

In total there are 9 pieces of equipment, not just the two POS furnaces and condensers...

Post Likes
    They used a little bit of everything. Is that vents off vents?

Post Likes
    I was going to ask - where do you start? (rhetorical question). Stuff everywhere.

Post Likes
    I'm not sure I understand what your saying, I am not a plumber but I always see cleanouts in the basement in the stack near the floor. If the line is plugged when you take the cap off of the cleanout poop may come out. It may be already coming out of the floor drain.
    ckartson
    I didn't write the book I just read it!

Post Likes
    I don't know what you are *****ing about t least they took the time to strap down the steal gas line. lol
    You need to put the phone down and get back to work!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by toocoolforschool View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong, if the Cleanout is below a sewer line and the sewer line backs up wouldn't the pressure push the poop out of the vent?
    Sewage will flow into coil drain pan before it could ever flow out the illegal vents, that is until a log plugs up the 3/4" PVC. Pump is a good idea as it has a check valve but it would still be illegal to discharge into that clean out.

Post Likes
    Luv the WW2 Binocs in first pic !

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in