+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Superhot Boiler System

Post Likes

Superhot Boiler System

We just completed this system in a natural gas plant. The boilers heat 4 trane unit heater coils in the compressor building. I couldn't get pictures of the heaters we installed in it because the fireyes were on and didn't want to risk causing a blowdown . Enjoy!

We've done a few plants with similar setups. This is the first time the superhots had their own boiler controller. I actually had to remove the controllers and do some rewiring to use the tekmar 268 controller.

Another company installed the furnace system, but it's in the same room as our boilers. I hope they don't mind me posting pics of their work.

Post Likes
    What's the container, that the air eliminator and blow offs are piped to?

Post Likes
    ascj;
    it's a solution feeder to maintain pressure in the system.

Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan, Canada Occupation:Interprovincial Plumber, Commercial Gasfitter Interests:
    Post Likes
    Is that a TCPL? If it is, nice to see they changed there specs to P/S. Caron has the system pump feeding the boilers.

Last winter, when they went to high fire, both boilers started to vibrate/hammer REAL bad. And no wierd sounds, just vibration. Low fire no problem. Checked flow, combustion, etc. Ended up running rydlyme through the boilers. Problem solved. Even though the heat exchangers looked clean when I opened them up.

Ever hear a dirty superhot moan?
    I love my job, but paydays Thursday

Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan, Canada Occupation:Interprovincial Plumber, Commercial Gasfitter Interests:
    Post Likes
    The only thing I'll nitpick is the rear clearance. On the other hand, can't check the hx on the pm if you can't get to the back.

Post Likes
    Excellent work.

I really like those pipe supports on the floor.

Post Likes
    Thanks for the comments guys
    Rich i didn't understand TCPL???

Post Likes
    Good looking work. First super hots I've seen, how long have they been around?
    Kind of suprised they were allowed to attach the support straps for the furnace vent/intake to that piece that looks like a metal cable tray.
    GO DAWGS!

Post Likes
    TransCanadaPipeLines

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by rich pickering View Post
    TransCanadaPipeLines
    ok, gotcha. Close, it's for Trans Gas. Honestly, they didn't show P/S on the last 3 we did, we just piped it that way to insure minimum flow. They're happy as long as everything works properly and looks nice. The prints for these jobs are very vague, nothing ever goes the way they show.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by HVAC9900 View Post
    Good looking work. First super hots I've seen, how long have they been around?
    Kind of suprised they were allowed to attach the support straps for the furnace vent/intake to that piece that looks like a metal cable tray.
    Thanks for the compliment. Superhot boilers have been around a lot of years, they are made in BC (I think).

That perf strapping looks like crap in a job like this. I know if we did anything like that on our stuff they would have made us replace it. They should have just hung it on the wall. I was tempted to fix it up but didn't want to alter their work. I did however fix the leaks they had on their gas line to the furnace.

Post Likes

Nice work

But I don`t think I`ve ever seen AC in a boiler room before.

Also seems ironic to be installing a warm air furnace in a room with two boilers in it already.

Not trying to sound nit-picky,it`s just that Ive seen my share of unit heaters hung in boiler rooms that never run simply due to the amount of heat radiated by the existing equipment.
    I love overtime I just hate working for it.

Post Likes
    The pipe insulation with the metal jacket looks very nice .

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by maniak View Post
    Thanks for the compliment. Superhot boilers have been around a lot of years, they are made in BC (I think).

That perf strapping looks like crap in a job like this. I know if we did anything like that on our stuff they would have made us replace it. They should have just hung it on the wall. I was tempted to fix it up but didn't want to alter their work. I did however fix the leaks they had on their gas line to the furnace.
    Wonder if they are exported to the US? It's a new one on me.
    I agree the supports were an odd choice. Think even the customer will see the difference in workmanship.Maybe they open the checkbook a little wider next time and have you do all the work.
    GO DAWGS!

Post Likes
    The last plant we did was almost identical only larger plant. Our guys did the HVAC system in that job and it looked nothing like this one. They actually sealed the duct and used Eh Price commercial registers (as specified by the engineer), not household ones like on this project. I am dumbfounded how they got away with installing it not to spec.

Post Likes
    lOOKS NICE!!

Manifolding relief valves is a no-no

Post Likes

Thumbs up

I love those Tekmar boiler controllers!

Post Likes
    i didnt think people actually put those things in anymore they are very cheap we have been putting in all condensing boilers in all gate stations in b.c. for nat gas

Post Likes
    Looks nice... I would steer away from all that flex on the controls.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in